In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Adj max-out??

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Baby Browning 4x 3/4" scope made by Redfield on a Browning ATD .22 short that is max-out on the down adjustment. The cantilever base is mounted to the barrel with the rings being over the receiver. Could I put a piece of electrical tape on the bottom inside of the front ring to raise it up? At 25 yards, the point of inpack is about 3 or 4" high.
Is there something better that I can do?
Thanks for any info!!

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    BURRIS makes rings that have offset inserts works great for that kind of problem Tape will not hold up zero will change as tape get older.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Raise the front to lower the point of impact, yes

The old "red neck" shim is a piece of beer can (tape can "squish" over time).

That said, 3" at 25yd is a bunch.
    Distance to target (in inches) divided by distance between mount points = correction factor. Elevation change required / CF = shim required.
    Assuming you have a 3" spacing between your mounts, you're going to need a .01 shim just to zero at "bottomed out", expect to shim by at least .025 in order to get back close to center on your scopes adjustments
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guy!! I,ll try the one and look into the other. Now at lease I have a starting point.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,977 ******
    edited November -1
    a good sorce of shim stock is those plastic 'credit cards' you get in the mail.
  • Options
    gustafsfangustafsfan Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use sections of spent brass cases for shim material. Cut & grind to match the bottom side of the scope bases. Remove burrs from the edges of the shim with a rubber wheel & then drill holes in the shim to align with the screw holes in the bases. Keep adding shims til you get the desired results.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After you get your shim(s) installed there will be a gap that is a magnet for moisture and should be sealed.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by my-handyman
    I have a Baby Browning 4x 3/4" scope made by Redfield on a Browning ATD .22 short that is max-out on the down adjustment. The cantilever base is mounted to the barrel with the rings being over the receiver. Could I put a piece of electrical tape on the bottom inside of the front ring to raise it up? At 25 yards, the point of inpack is about 3 or 4" high.
    Is there something better that I can do?
    Thanks for any info!!

I have the same set up with a modern Browning 22. Don't use tape or any other material that can compress. Brownells sells shim stock cheap, brass strip works just as well. I color the edges black before putting them in, makes them harder to spot. BTW, it doesn't take a whole lot of shim to make a difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This forum is always good for info you can count on!! I like that you get different ways to skin a cat/method. Thanks to all for your time and info!!