In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High rings for AR

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just bought an AR-10 308 flat top and even with high rings my target scope hits the front hand guard.Do any manufactures make extra high rings for especially for AR's? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weaver makes "Extra High" rings; Bushmaster makes (made?) "riser blocks" to bring up large-objective scopes.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you go to a smaller diameter forearm so that you can maintain a good cheek weld to the stock?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks I will look into those suggestions Dave
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are nice rings if you don't want to use a riser.

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/maxima-ar-15-flat-top-rings/

This is what I use and the quality is first rate.

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/188/
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Target Sports(CDNN) high see-thru rings on AR's and they come out just the right height for me. Four screw rings hold well and seem to align excellent. Reasonably priced, too. Not acceptable for "scope snobs", though.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Burris X-Hi XTR Tactical rings, on most of my AR's. A couple of very special AR's of mine have Badger rings. Burris makes them in 1 inch, and 30mm. They are a great value for what they are, as all rings are not created equal...especially the cheap ones from CDNN...if you do not install them correctly(read as in lap them like you should) you will ruin your scope. The higher end rings are LINE BORED, and do not require lapping.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "especially the cheap ones from CDNN...if you do not install them correctly(read as in lap them like you should) you will ruin your scope"
    Well crap, I've got 10 or 12 "ruined scopes" I didn't even know about.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "especially the cheap ones from CDNN...if you do not install them correctly(read as in lap them like you should) you will ruin your scope"
    Well crap, I've got 10 or 12 "ruined scopes" I didn't even know about.

Well...unfortunately, a lot of folks do not know how to properly mount a scope, which in the majority of rings, requires lapping them. If you, sir, think it is a joke, then you should look for proper mounting procedures, at places such as Midway, or Brownell's, as they do have video's of just that.

There are a reasons, why some of us are professional's, and some are not. There are differences, in the way the rings are manufactured, that include different tolerances, including TIR(total internal runout). That would indicate how much inherent side cant would possible be in a ring, and would put ring bite marks in the scope. The lesser ones, can actually distort the scope tube, putting a radial dent in it, weakening the scope, and/or damage the internals...if they are not lapped. Those type of rings, commonly, today are either extruded then machined, or MIM(Metal Injection Molded). Line bored rings are typically forged, and then machined, or machined from a billet. Line boring, takes special equipment, and a special skill set that the other's that just punch them out do not. That is why the price is quite a bit higher.

It is my suggestion that with the AR-10 platform, and the heavy bolt carrier/bolt assembly, that creates heavy bi-directional recoil, to use a set of decent rings that will give you the most grip on your scope without biting it. I speak from experience, as I own 3 AR-10's.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:"There are a reasons, why some of us are professional's, and some are not"
    Professional what-scope snob?

Nope, not at all...I own several Nikon Buckmaster's, and Monarchs, along with Burris FF-II's. I also own 3 Night Force NXS, 2 Schmidt& Bender PM-II's, and a couple Vortex Viper PST's, personally. I also have worked in the firearms field since I was 16...that is 33 years of experience. I warranty all of my work, so you do learn to do it right. No one likes to have customer's returning with problems. Over years of experience, which you obviously do not have, you also learn...which you know everything, so you do not need to. However, until you gain the experience, you might be a little less judgmental of those who have it, and know what works.

I see no reason to harm, or possibly harm a perfectly good scope, high dollar or low budget, just because one is ignorant of these things. You might think about listening more and flapping, and calling names less, even though some of us do fit the picture of scope snob.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "There are a reasons, why some of us are professional's, and some are not"
    Professional what-scope snob?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Didn't mean to start a verbal war ,just asked about high rings,as far as a riser goes I checked on e-bay and there are tons of them from high dollar to the cheap ones from China,something for every pocketbook.Ordered a nice US made 3/4 riser. Thanks again