In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Freaking Chipmunks!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,727 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
For about a week there has been a weird smell in my living room......like sour laundry.

Larry's first day off is today. So, he crawled under the house to see what is going on that might be causing this.

It turns out the little critters have dug the dirt out from under the cement pad that our chimney sits on and water is collecting under there.

I AM SOOOO MAD AT THESE THINGS RIGHT NOW!!!!

We don't know if this warrants getting a masonry person involved or not??? Do you just pour concrete under there and seal it back up???

I thought they were cute.......until now!
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a proliferation of reticulated chipmunks in the state green acres wildlife area adjacent to our property

They are cute to watch - but are avid and productive nest builders and nut hoarders

I prefer them as neighbors over squirrels - they mostly avoid the yard as the dog and ferret seem to get quite upset when they trespass

The local birds of prey appear to find them tasty

Mike
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would fill the holes with cement and spread hot pepper flakes or powder around the area. You might try gopher poison to see if that works. They are very destructive.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who is Larry and what caused the smell[?]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Who is Larry and what caused the smell[?]

Dude "the Cable Guy" duh.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait until they decide to take over your car,,then you will see a mess..nuts stored in the breather and wires chewed everywhere
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey, I've been a Mason that has owned his own company for about 39 years and has about 49 years experience, this is what I would do...

The first thing I do is look at how much of the dirt have they Disturbed underneath the chimney?

If it's just a little entryway, no big deal, just pack in with non-shrink concrete, but make sure you use non-shrinking concrete. But if they've Disturbed a big portion of the dirt, just putting concrete underneath it won't fix the problem. You need to dig out everything until you hit hard pan, and then hydraulically pump in non-shrink Concrete, because you'll need to get all the way to the back of what they Disturbed.

I wish I was closer to you, I would come out and tell you what needs to be done.

But If I were you I would call the building inspector and have him inspect it to see what's the best way to fix the problem if it is more than just a small tunnel...

But if you were able to suck out all the water out of it with either a sump pump or a Shop-Vac, and take pictures about how much they dug, I would give you my recommendation.

By the way, there's a good chance they dug a lot of tunnels all the way through underneath the whole chimney because of the warmth from your fireplace radiating down[V]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://goo.gl/images/KqZKTW

http://www.havahart.com/chipmunk-facts

Wow - prolific little earth movers (and in the squirrel / rodent genus) - interesting factoids and info

Mike
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    Wait until they decide to take over your car,,then you will see a mess..nuts stored in the breather and wires chewed everywhere

It was some manufactures bright idea to make the "wire looms" and other items in vehicles out of soybeans.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 47studebaker

It was some manufactures bright idea to make the "wire looms" and other items in vehicles out of soybeans.

and done so on purpose so you would think about a new vec replacement sooner.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 47studebaker

That's what one gets when companies act on "green".
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been at war with rats at my house for 22 years. Just big chipmunks really.
    Building nests in the engine compartment and in the heat/ac fan, chewing the wiring, making nest in the kitchen cabinets.

Finally I had enough. Three months ago I started buying electric rat repellers on Amazon. They have 'em for 30 bucks, they have 'em for fifty bucks. I bought lots of 'em.
    I have 5 in the basement, two in the crawl space, and two in the carport. And one in the kitchen.

Yes I shelled out $285 on these devices. And the damn rats are gone!

Just go to Amazon and there are dozens of 'em. Find one with a five gold star review and start buying! I would get 2 or 3 different types I figure each one runs a slightly different frequency.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I have been at war with rats at my house for 22 years. Just big chipmunks really.
    Building nests in the engine compartment and in the heat/ac fan, chewing the wiring, making nest in the kitchen cabinets.

Finally I had enough. Three months ago I started buying electric rat repellers on Amazon. They have 'em for 30 bucks, they have 'em for fifty bucks. I bought lots of 'em.
    I have 5 in the basement, two in the crawl space, and two in the carport. And one in the kitchen.

Yes I shelled out $285 on these devices. And the damn rats are gone!

Just go to Amazon and there are dozens of 'em. Find one with a five gold star review and start buying! I would get 2 or 3 different types I figure each one runs a slightly different frequency.

I have them for years, and they work great.... No signs of rodents in my house for garage since I bought some... I have one in every room, a couple in my garage. And I have one that is supposed to emit a frequency through the wiring through whole house to make sure they don't get inside the walls, and attic
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There you go, remingtonoaks. Time to get out of the Dark Ages and get with Modern Rat Wars.

I have been buying rat traps, rat poison, even a hav a hart trap over 22 years. Add it all up and I have spent probably $400 over two decades. And I have killed lots of rats. Also have caught a dozen in the hav a hart but can't stand to kill them like that, hav a hart trap rats get deported. Figure they can't travel 12 miles, and cross 2 rivers.

The problem is, there is an infinite number of rats. They live in the woods, they come up to my house and move in. And they breed like, well, rats.

I have spent $70 a pop to get rat nests cleaned out from the heat/ac fan on the Nissan, times four. Currently have a GD rat nest in the Infiniti got to get that fixed.
    They made a huge nest in the girlfriends engine block on the battery and began chewing on the wires, this on the antique Mercedes. Just missed a big repair bill.
    They made a nest in my new Nissan pickup and that was the last straw!

My mechanic has a classic Mustang and classic Tbird in his garage. Told me he keeps 4 electric rat repellers in there and has no problems.
    Good enough for my mechanic good enough for me! I spent close to $300 bucks on Amazon for my rat repellers and it is the best money I have ever spent. I am sick of fighting these rodents and I, honestly don't like to kill them. I just want them to stay away.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Cat (or 2.) Heck, just leave a little cat kibble out (in different places each time) to attract the neighbor's cat or local ferals. While the cats are looking for the food, they'll find live food.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it gets cold out the buggers move from the woodpiles into our home to survive. Now is the time to get them. Tractor supply has some remedies.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    You could use some explosives, like on Caddyshack. [:0][B)][:D][}:)]