In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Back From SHOT

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
This year's show was one of the best in recent memory. Despite the uncertainty about the Slide-Fire Stocks and possible legislation coming from the Democrat controlled House, I sensed real enthusiasm in the industry. I visited the Gun Broker booth and inquired about who had taken over the functions of Captain Fun. I was told that his duties had been split up among others and there is apparently no "king pin" with the sort of authority the Captain could wield. So far as the forum is concerned; I meet a gentleman named Tom who said that he would look into the email issue which has been dragging on for two years. Whether or not he will solve the problem is anyone's guess, but I made it clear that the forum members want that function restored.

Comments

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you Mark! There are several members, both active, and inactive, that I would like to contact. Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gregor62
    Thank you Mark! There are several members, both active, and inactive, that I would like to contact. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Yes Sir.

Thank you on our behalf. Being able to contact Members here, at will, as opposed to having to publicly list our E-mail, etc. would be a huge bonus.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope you got to mention that a lot of Guns are purchased off GunBroker by Forum members and we are often aware of those potential purchases through the forums and use of "Shameless Plugs"
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,126 ******
    edited November -1
    Thank you,Mark!!!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Hope you got to mention that a lot of Guns are purchased off GunBroker by Forum members and we are often aware of those potential purchases through the forums and use of "Shameless Plugs"

No I did not. I was lucky enough to get five minutes of time with a very busy gentleman- who I had never met before, at the largest firearms trade show in the United States (and perhaps the world). As an administrator I represent the members of this forum and I had to set my priorities based on what I felt the members wanted. In my personal opinion the members want to email system restored above all else and not a discussion on GB sales. Perhaps I am as out of touch as some of my forum fan club believes, but I based my actions on what I felt would please the vast majority of the membership.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,483 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Mark! Now go have a wonderful trip![:)]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark for reporting in with us.I understand that's not in your job description. And even if it was, your lack of pay wouldn't include any duties.

As far as GB is concerned The forum side makes revenue... So I wouldn't hold my breath with him fixing anything on it...
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,728 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I cannot wrap my mind around the logic that connects an off site sale and a shameless plug. If its a plug of a sale ON GunBroker it is not an off site sale, but a plug to a listing on the website.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good deed done in representation of the membership for the greater good of us all...

A GB shotshow booth logo swag giveaway would have been nice - but the possibility of a functional forum private message function warms my heart and bares promise...

Thank you.

Mike
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Mark! Good work. Has anyone ever found out what did happen to CaptFun? I kinda miss havin' him pop in and visit.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark. Perhaps to spur this on is to limit forum members who actually use the auction side with at least a couple buys or sells a year and anyone else get them the Hell out of here..imo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Understood completely Mark, my point was simply that Email would be great as long as we still have a Forum. Nunn mentioned those he spoke with didn't even know about the forum.
    It would be a shame for GB to delete it without knowing the impact.

quote:Originally posted by mark christian

No I did not. I was lucky enough to get five minutes of time with a very busy gentleman- who I had never met before, at the largest firearms trade show in the United States (and perhaps the world). As an administrator I represent the members of this forum and I had to set my priorities based on what I felt the members wanted. In my personal opinion the members want to email system restored above all else and not a discussion on GB sales. Perhaps I am as out of touch as some of my forum fan club believes, but I based my actions on what I felt would please the vast majority of the membership.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Locust, you misunderstood or I mis-communicated no intention what so ever to connect an off site sale, the shameless plugs I was talking about were GB links, and my concern is that if GB doesn't know the value of the forums to the auction side it would be a shame if they eliminate the forum.

quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

I cannot wrap my mind around the logic that connects an off site sale and a shameless plug. If its a plug of a sale ON GunBroker it is not an off site sale, but a plug to a listing on the website.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,754 ******
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Mark. You have earned your wages as administrator.[:D]
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Mark,

Since you will be talking to Tom, you might want to bring up a forum upgrade. Plenty of free, open source forum software that does a lot more than this dinosaur.
  • Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you Mark for trying to get the email system looked into and working. Also thank you for your time spent being an administrator on the Forums. I sure hope that the Forums stay a part of Gun Broker, I enjoy them and learn from them, as I am sure many others do also. Once again thank you, for you service!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark, I hope you impressed upon him that forum members are both sellers and buyers on GunBroker.

Now the big question:

Wadja Get?[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

Now the big question:

I was given a single lens cleaning cloth. Fortunately I'm not in this for financial gain.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,126 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

Now the big question:

I was given a single lens cleaning cloth. Fortunately I'm not in this for financial gain.

You gonna list it on the auction side??
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a million Dollar question, Did you get his business card?[;)]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark C.

It is kind of incredulous such a successful business has zero maintenance or contact person for the forum. It tells me the forum doesn't mean much to the business model.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is SHOT open to the public or only dealers and distributors?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only to industry insiders Doc, not a public show, though there is a large show in Vegas, if you crave a game of chance or Penn and Teller.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Is SHOT open to the public or only dealers and distributors?

It is a trade show, so it is not open to the public. You are supposed to be a dealer, manufacturer or involved in some sort of Shooting, Hunting, or Outdoor-sports related business. LEOs and qualified government agency and military personnel can also attend. The show has clamped down HARD on gun shop "employees", most of whom were really just friends of an FFL holder, who in some cases was selling admission by using his FFL to buy extra passes. Now the owner of the shop has to provide documentation such as payroll or medical insurance records to establish the person in question is a genuine employee. No kids allowed either. Everyone at SHOT must be 18 or older.