In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ditching Gillette

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
First, a great ad from Barbasol poking fun at Gillette...

https://youtu.be/CzC47F1DTO8

And now...Gillette won't know I'm gone since I buy only ten blades a year, but I bet I'm not the only one ditching them due to their recent pro-"happy" ad.

I just ordered a trial kit of Harry's razors for $3. (Coupon code JOEB) They ask you how often you shave, to set your refill blade schedule, a nice touch. We'll see how I like their razor. I use Cremo shave cream, and believe I could get a comfortable shave using a rusty soup can lid with it.
I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great commercial only shaving cream I have used for a very long time is Barasol.

Also have NOT used Gillette blades way overpriced.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barbasol is perfectly fine, but if you try Cremo, you won't go back.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used BIC disposable single blade razors for years and I use a bar of soap to shave with usually Ivory.

I shave every day.

Even when I was in the field and we had relaxed grooming standards I shaved(If I had water for it). I was the only guy on my team who didn't have a beard. I caught some grief for it but I hate a beard it feels dirty.
    RLTW

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I for one am not ditching Gillette. Somethings are worth a good shave. I've tried Harry's, I've tried Dollar Shave club, and I even tried going back to a safety razor and all of them leave me with terrible razor burn. Gillette Fusion is the only blade cartridge Iv'e found that doesn't give me a razor burn, and since I have to shave atleast four days a week I am going to stick with it. Being a member of the Gillette Club they send me five blade cartridges every six weeks for $13.00 so I don't even have to worry about buying them, they come in the mail.

If I allowed politics to dictate every purchase there would likely be nothing that I'd be able to buy, because all these huge companies either same something offensive, or contribute money to something I find offensive.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******
    edited November -1
    I buy store brand shaving creams along with Barbasol but have to have the stuff with aloe for sensitive skin.

Been using disposable economy razors for years, ever since I lost the top off my screw on double edger! It fell in the very tight gap between the sink and the wall of a house I owned way back when.[:(]

I found a multi pak of twin blade razors at Wallyworld that were marked way down and took all they had. Been using them for nearly a year now and still going strong! My Mrs. keeps taking them for her legs and ?? [:0]
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of the expensive Gillettte razors and just ditched them and bought Shick Small protest I know but I own it.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not ditching either Gillette disposables or Barbasol, been using both for many years with no complaints, Bic's are my 2nd choice...I'm one of those that can/has and should shave twice a day [:(!]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just keep it simple with a safety razor and Wilkinson Sword blades.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always been old school, I just use soap as a lubricant when I shave... That's all shaving cream, an expensive soap in a can
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisStreett
    I just keep it simple with a safety razor and Wilkinson Sword blades.

Same as what I use. Also I use shaving soap with a badger hair brush in a 100 year old shaving mug. The shaving soap is what makes a clean shave for me.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Barbasol ad is a few years old and has nothing to do with Gillette.

I gave up on Gillette cartridges years ago, but not because of politics, but because they were a ripoff. I have an Gillette Superspeed that I load with Astra blades.....they cost me about 5 cents apiece and last me for several shaves.

Any shave cream that comes in a can is rough on my face, so I splurge on shaving cream.....Taylor of Old Bond Street is my go to, and a tub will last me several months.

There was at least one company that did run an ad directly as a response to Gillette, but they were a watch company that I hadn't previously heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HL0wiK4Zc
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm obviously lost. I have no idea what you folks are talking about. But I don't watch much TV.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,703 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    The Barbasol ad is a few years old and has nothing to do with Gillette.

There was at least one company that did run an ad directly as a response to Gillette, but they were a watch company that I hadn't previously heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HL0wiK4Zc

Thanks for sharing that YouTube video.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    I'm obviously lost. I have no idea what you folks are talking about. But I don't watch much TV.

Gillette released this commercial recently. A lot of people are pissed off about it.

https://youtu.be/koPmuEyP3a0
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Gillette released this commercial recently. A lot of people are pissed off about it.

https://youtu.be/koPmuEyP3a0

Thanks
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup....I'm ditching them also...seeing as how barbasol now has their own razors...I will be buying those instead of gillette's to compliment my barbasol shaving cream that I have used for the past ten years.