In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good Neighbor

Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
A guy who clears your driveway when it snows and you are pulling a twelve hour shift.

Comments

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to do that for neighbor. He has breakfast and lunch restaurant that opens at 5am he would leave at 3:30-4 for prep. He could not get driveway done before work and after 12-14 hours at restaurant he was wiped out.

My Kubota with the front snowblower will clear just about anything and only took about 1/2 hour to clear.

He has moved and new neighbor has his own equipment. I miss getting breakfast on those days. Was busy at neighbors restaurant with all the plow guys coming in for breakfast.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    I've had that happen a couple times last winter, and at least once this winter so far. I leave for work around 4:30 AM. Fairly long driveway. When we got 24" of snow before Christmas, I went out with snow shovel in hand, not looking forward to the task at hand.

Got out to the vehicles, fairly long walkway to get there. Had to shovel that out. Low and behold, my driveway was cleared. Woo Hoo!

I loan out extension ladders to friends, (I have several, and the longest in the neighborhood) and Table saws etc. If I really trust you. (Good Karma has a way of coming back to you.)
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have quit loaning out and trying to help people..at the lake place an older neighbor (friends) lost his wife so i paid for mowing his place for 3 years to help ...had my 12v winch fixed up in his shed so he could lift up his mower up to change blades for 5 years and then his worthless, useless, POS , no work 50+ years old son moves in waiting for pops to die so he could get the money...all he would do is sit on the couch and watch tv...and when he was alone he would snag up things to take to another town and pawn...my winch and a poison applicator for moles/ gophers disapperared but i managed to get back a roto tiller i loaned old guy after his antique was no longer serviceable...got a cherry picker and log splitter here at home i need to get back...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Speaking of which, my ride to my Eye Surgery fell through at the last moment (yesterday.) 3 days before surgery, although it was coordinated 3 months ago.

Called a neighbor, he is there for me. I was stressing, and lost a lot of sleep over this last night, trying to figure out how I could make this work. Gave it some Prayer, it worked out. Very thankful. 1 1/2 hour drive each way, not including the wait time while in surgery.

2 days Vacation scheduled from work in advance. (Thurs/Fri.) 3-4 months wait for the Surgery. (To re-schedule, puts me back again, 3-4 months.) One eye done, one eye bad, has been screwing me up. Looking forward to getting it done.

Good neighbors who will drop anything and help you out are a rare breed.

Very Thankful.

Said, "Hey, that's what neighbors do for each other." [:D]
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You?re on your way back to seeing 100% Ken. I know ya can?t wait. How?s Buddy doing? Is he gonna be upset when you start driving again instead of him? (Again, no green font from an iPhone.)
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Neither a borrower nor a lender be"...good words to live by. If my vehicle is broke and I need a ride I'll call a car rental company. Enterprise will even bring the car to you these days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    "Neither a borrower nor a lender be"...good words to live by. If my vehicle is broke and I need a ride I'll call a car rental company. Enterprise will even bring the car to you these days.

Would have like to have done that. Will not get the word on what time I have to be there, until tomorrow or the next day.

1 1/2 hr. each way, not counting the 1-3 hour wait during the surgery.
    (And) What if you can not drive home? What about that?

Pretty hard to coordinate a ride under these circumstances, especially in the boonies of E TN.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisStreett
    You?re on your way back to seeing 100% Ken. I know ya can?t wait. How?s Buddy doing? Is he gonna be upset when you start driving again instead of him? (Again, no green font from an iPhone.)

Buddy is doing great Chris. You are right, I can not wait to get this other eye done. One good eye, one radically bad eye for the last three months has been screwing me up.

Will be around $1800 out of pocket after insurance. (Total.) Worth it though.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing better than a good neighbor and nothing worse than a bad neighbor[:(!]
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisStreett

Buddy is doing great Chris. You are right, I can not wait to get this other eye done. One good eye, one radically bad eye for the last three months has been screwing me up.

Will be around $1800 out of pocket after insurance. (Total.) Worth it though.

Does he have a License?[;)]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    surgery.

I didn't know they would operate on both eyes at the same time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    surgery.

I didn't know they would operate on both eyes at the same time.

Only one eye done at a time. You are put under though. Legal requirements on sedation, bar any vehicular use for 24 hours.

If you can not prove you have a ride home/driver, they will not perform the procedure. They actually go so far as to walk you out to your vehicle to make sure you are not getting behind the wheel.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I had a good neighbor like that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Wish I had a good neighbor like that.

Pretty Solid group of Guys in this Holler. Quite a few prior Military, even if not, most are Preppers and Shooters. We help each other out on a regular basis.

When/if the Brown Fecal matter hits the Rotary Wind moving device, we are not too bad off, as a group.