In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Listing errors on auction side

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
I just ran an advanced search for "38 S&W" in revolvers, then narrowed the results to that caliber. Of 267 results more than 90 were not, in fact, 38 S&W but .38 Special and two were .357 mag.

With so many incorrect listings I can't help but wonder if it's an issue in the auction software or just ignorance/incompetence by sellers.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is my understanding 38 S&Ws will work in any 38 Special revolver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    It is my understanding 38 S&Ws will work in any 38 Special revolver.

That is not correct.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 S&W will not chamber in MOST 38 Specials. Bullet is .361, not .357
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. The correct full name for "38 special" is 38 s&w special, that may cause more hits.

2. Not knowing the exact details of your search, but if you ran it at you say it would pick up anything with "38" and "s&w", that will pick up most 38 special revolvers made by smith and Wesson.

3. The search engine picks up alot of non relaxant crap it thinks you are looking for.

4. Maybe try advanced, exact phrase, "38 s&w long". Or short, whatever the case may be.

Wading through results for something specific is more difficult each time they "improve " things.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    Not knowing the exact details of your search, but if you ran it at you say it would pick up anything with "38" and "s&w", that will pick up most 38 special revolvers made by smith and Wesson.

Yes, it sure did. But then I filtered the results by choosing the caliber ".38 S&W" which appears in the "item charactistics" of the auctions.