In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TAX TIME...

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
Friend tells me he doesn?t have to file any tax filings at end of year...Is that maybe true if your income is low enough ???I have always thought it was mandatory....

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It can be true
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i imagine many file only to get a REFUND......PARTY TIME!!!
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About the only way that happens is if both are on social security and no other major income.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO! If you had any kind of income you have to file. That includes social security, pensions, interest and so on. State income tax in some states MAY not require that you file for different reasons.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He does not have to, though he will likely be sorry.
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contrary to a prior statement, not everyone who has income has to file.

If a single person 65 or older had social security income of $23,300 and other income (as long as it is not from self-employment) of $13,500 or less, then he/she would not have to file.

A married couple filing joint with both being 65 or older could have social security income of $35,000 combined and other income (again as long as it is not from self-employment) of $22,500 or less, then they would not have to file.

So depending on their age and what type of income they had, a married couple could have over $55k of income and not have a federal filing requirement.