In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HAMMERLI AMERICAN .22 target pistol, W/PIX

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to buy one of these, can't find anything about them (price/cross=over model/ect.) any help?
picked it up today $550 otd
e20W6vHl.jpg
SUHUXuGl.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that the one Sig made for a while??
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are good pistols. I shot one of their "free pistols" a few times.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/9/15/the-best-22-caliber-pistols-for-nra-bullseye/

I have wanted to build a "free pistol" - capacitive discharge ignition on a release trigger.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I have a chance to buy one of these, can't find anything about them (price/cross=over model/ect.) any help?
    picked it up today $550 otd
    e20W6vHl.jpg
    SUHUXuGl.jpg

Disregarding the longer barrel, barrel weight, and rear sight. It appears to be the same pistol as the SIG Trail Side. Had one of them years ago. The one I had, was one of the cheapies. Sold by CDNN, with the plastic rear sight. I couldn't get rid of it, quick enough.

I expect you will have way better luck with yours. You got it at a steal, IMHO.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you did good. imo
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did good. That gun and the SW model 41 were THE gun to use in NRA
    indoor 50 ft. target competitions.
    My range box had a SW41 for .22 stage, a SW52 for centerfire stage, and
    a Colt Goldcup for the .45 stage.
    When I wasn't in the top 5 scorers, there was more Hammerli owners there.
    [:(!]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1936 the Walther Olympia was the class act in target pistols.
    After the war, Hammerli picked up the design and sold it as the Hammerli-Walther.
    The American served the Colonial market with muzzle brake and high profile sights. I recall it in ca 1960 Gun Digest.

Hammerli kept upgrading until they got to the models 208 and 215. They have been discontinued for a good while but are still in demand.

In the meanwhile, Hammerli was bought out by Sig and the design was cheapened into the Trailside, which was accurate but not real sturdy, plastic magazines etc.

They also make the Xesse target model which is a higher level gun but still not up to the 208 or the Pardini.

$550 was an excellent deal.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    In 1936 the Walther Olympia was the class act in target pistols.
    After the war, Hammerli picked up the design and sold it as the Hammerli-Walther.
    The American served the Colonial market with muzzle brake and high profile sights. I recall it in ca 1960 Gun Digest.

Hammerli kept upgrading until they got to the models 208 and 215. They have been discontinued for a good while but are still in demand.

In the meanwhile, Hammerli was bought out by Sig and the design was cheapened into the Trailside, which was accurate but not real sturdy, plastic magazines etc.

They also make the Xesse target model which is a higher level gun but still not up to the 208 or the Pardini.

$550 was an excellent deal.

I believe that the cheapened SIG Trail Side, that I referenced previously. Was blown out by CDNN, after SIG, sold out the model to Walther.

The currently manufactured Excess, as currently manufactured by Walther. Is a much higher quality, and expensive target pistol. Although it still has a superficial resemblance, to the earlier Trail Side.

If anybody offers you a Trail Side. With a unadjustable, plastic rear sight, don't buy it. I wouldn't even buy the adjustable sight version of the Trail Side. Unless I had the opportunity, to test fire it for accuracy and reliable functionally. The one I got stuck with, was a NIB, 24 carrot turd.[:(]