In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Under lever , single shot .410 Winchester

cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
Im looking for any info on this gun from about the late 20's .thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester did not ever manufacture a "under lever" .410 shotgun during the time period you mention.

The first .410 shotgun Winchester manufactured was the Model 20 (1920 - 1924), and it was a top-break, single shot. The second was the Model 41, which was a single shot bolt-action (1920 - 1934). In 1933, Winchester introduced the Model 42, which was a scaled down version of the Model 12 Slide-action (pump) shotgun.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Winchester did not ever manufacture a "under lever" .410 shotgun during the time period you mention.

The first .410 shotgun Winchester manufactured was the Model 20 (1920 - 9124), and it was a top-break, single shot. The second was the Model 41, which was a single shot bolt-action (1920 - 1934). In 1933, Winchester introduced the Model 42, which was a scaled down version of the Model 12 Slide-action (pump) shotgun.

+1,
    My WAG would be that's a 1885, that was originally chambered in .405 Winchester. The .405 was always a expensive, hard to come by cartridge. Also it was a really unpleasant kicker, in the 1885. Probably a knowledgeable shade tree gunsmith. Rechambered and bored out the barrel, to take the .410 shell.

EDIT #1,

If you can, it would be best. If you could post quality photos of the Winchester's receiver. Use the instructions for posting photos, in the link below.

https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stevens made a version of the Model 44 underlever single shot in .44 Shot, which a lot of folks used .410 shells in.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider that from the period we are talking about Spanish clones and Belgian guild guns often are labeled as or identified as or later purported to be major name brand genuine articles

I have a damn accurate and well made clone of a 1917 revolver that is marked Winchester - but was made in Belgium - it looks like almost an exact duplicate and the markings are pretty convincing

Till you find the proof marks inside the grip frame under the panels

Mike
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Under lever? Could be a falling block, or a lever break, maybe one the rotates a quarter to a half turn to unlock any of which has re-purposed Winchester barrel.

I have a 1906 Winchester wearing a Remington made/marked barrel. Good shooter - I like exposed hammers.

added How to post pic's here.
    https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there any way I can post a photo or two ? I have 3-4 photos on my iphone..
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the book "Winchester an American Legend" by R. L. Wilson, some 700 1885's were made as shotguns 1914-1920, however, they were 20 gauge, not .410. As has been noted here, the 1920 era .410 was the model 20 and it looks and operates like a conventional top-break single shot that most of us are familiar with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The barrel has Winchester markings, Cell # and I will send iphone pix.Barrel is marked 41 , My cousin had a bolt 41, I liked my fox .410 double better..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cattle buyer
    Is there any way I can post a photo or two ? I have 3-4 photos on my iphone..

You can send the pictures to me if you want to... contact me via a PM

Based on your last message, it appears that somebody got creative and built there own shotgun from available parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Per the book "Winchester an American Legend" by R. L. Wilson, some 700 1885's were made as shotguns 1914-1920, however, they were 20 gauge, not .410. As has been noted here, the 1920 era .410 was the model 20 and it looks and operates like a conventional top-break single shot that most of us are familiar with.

Wilson's information is not completely accurate. Winchester did manufacture the Model 1885 Single Shot in 20-gauge, but it was in the years 1913 & 1914 only (last listed in the 1916 catalog). The total production number was somewhere between 850 - 900 shotguns in 20-gauge, and just (1) experimental specimen was made in 28-gauge. The interesting thing about the 20-gauge high-wall shotguns, was that they were all chambered for a 3-inch shell.