In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auction condition descriptions

KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
So bought a used 1911 that arrived recently. Condition description included terms "meticulously serviced", "minimal rounds fired over the years" and "in great condition". Photos indicated like new with exception of an idiot scratch that I could have noticed had I zoomed in.

Upon pickup from FFL there are several fine scratches on the matte stainless frame, nothing huge a bead blast wouldn't remove but they are visually noticeable. But there is also bluing wear on thumb and grip safety that looked like glare in the photos. Most concerning was dings on exterior of barrel. It isn't worse out but has had more than "minimal use".

I emailed seller but curious what you guys would think if in my shoes. Seems the condition was exaggerated to me and photo quality on the auction wasnt good enough to show it.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's really hard guess what people see when they describe the condition. I want to inspect them myself.

added Exactly ruff-snow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    It's really hard guess what people see when they describe the condition. I want to inspect them myself.

Agree, but that is tough to do on a GunBroker auction.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I wouldn't be buying anything off the auction. Unless it came with a 3 day approval. With you agreeing, to paying return shipping/dealers costs. If the seller won't agree, just walk way.

From you description, it appears to the cosmetics more than anything else. Unless I was specifically buying it, to be a barbecue gun. I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The listing was apparently filled with glittering generalities:

"meticulously serviced"= cleaned it after firing.

"minimal rounds fired over the years"= I didn't shoot it as much as I could have...but I still took it to the range twice a week.

"in great condition"= Not new, not mint, not excellent, not even very good...well, your "great" is my average.

The seller should have highlighted to scratches, but he didn't. Matt SS is notorious for showing imperfections to the finish and I would have automatically been suspect when the "photo quality on the auction wasn't good enough to show it" (your quote). As Ruff and Charlie already stated; unless the pistol shipped with an inspection period I don't know where you are going with this, but let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess that, even if the seller is willing to accept its return, you will have to pay shipping both ways. I would probably just live with the cosmetic problems, & consider it a a life lesson learned. As the guys say, lack of a return policy should be a red flag.

If you leave feedback, keep it short & factual; you don't want to get into a whizzing contest with the other guy.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No plan to return it, agree with the comments to keep any rating comments to the facts.

I've bought quite a few used ones on the auction side and always felt they were straight up with descriptions, never burned. We'll see what he says.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another way of looking at it, is take it to the range, and see what its got. It might surprise you. If so, so you got a great shooter that has some history marks, possibly a story to tell, and definitely a lesson.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Another way of looking at it, is take it to the range, and see what its got. It might surprise you. If so, so you got a great shooter that has some history marks, possibly a story to tell, and definitely a lesson.

+1 and hopefully you will have learned a valuable lesson.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the feedback of the person is my tip. There are so many honest people here that describe their items correctly but it takes just a few, and they are here to dung in the nest.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Sometimes, a potential bidder asks me to give a percentage grade to the remaining finish of the gun. I won't do it. I take lots of pictures, and I expect the buyer to examine them closely before bidding.

I figure if I grade a gun at 90%, that's my opinion. Then I send it to a GunBroker buyer, and that buyer looks at it and grades it at 85%. That's his opinion, but then he can claim I "misrepresented" the piece and demand a refund, and beef me on feedback for "misrepresenting" the gun.

Better to let the buyer look at the pictures and make up his own mind. That is a little harder now, with the smaller photo format, but I will, on request, email a bidder the unresized pictures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did get a quick response from seller. Regarding barrel marks: "there for years and I forgot all about it otherwise, yes, I should have put that in the photos"

He did offer to take it back less shipping but I plan to keep it. Lesson learned and will leave appropriate feedback. We'll see how it does at the range.