In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W N-Frame grip problem ?

XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
I sold a set of NOS N frame grips and the buyer says they don't fit an N frame. They fit but the top rear corners are a little to proud. My policy is a refund if not as described. You can see the grips I sold on ebay item # 303028770650. Do N frame grips fit all S&S n frame guns or are some different?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a set of Herrett Shooting Stars that were made before there was a 44 mag. I had to add some bedding to make them fit my 80's N frame. The pin position was little off too. And I hand to cut into the thunbrest for extracting the longer cases.
  • Options
    cndrdkcndrdk Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Jim said, find out what model customer is trying the grips on. As you describe the fit, customer is attempting to put N frame grips on a K frame revolver.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if this is applicable? But a couple of years ago, I had a similar problem with a 5 screw K frame. It originally came, with aftermarket Franzites. When I replaced them, with Smith target grips. The head portion of one of the screws, prevented the grips fitting flush. Had to put a shallow counterbore in the inside surface of the grip. So they could fit flush.
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pins line up as does the rest of the grip but the top front is a little to high. He says it is a 629-3. There is an N recessed into both grips.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I bought replacement grips in the S&W bubble pack, the frame size was rubber stamped on the back. But, that was a while ago....

Neal
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a customer who THOUGHT he had a N-frame Smith, and bought a set of N-frame grips that didn't fit at all.

When I got to examine the gun and grips, the problem was obvious. The gun was a K-frame, but nickel plated, so the grip frame was stamped with a "N" for "Nickel."

I got him a set of correct grips.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XP100
    Pins line up as does the rest of the grip but the top front is a little to high. He says it is a 629-3. There is an N recessed into both grips.

Never seen a factory set that had the frame size recessed into the inside of the grips. Sounds like they might be Altamonts...
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    quote:Originally posted by XP100

Never seen a factory set that had the frame size recessed into the inside of the grips. Sounds like they might be Altamonts...

My thought too. Especially regarding the reference to "pins" because Altamonts come with two steel pins. I've picked up a few S&Ws that had the Smith medallion grips and what I thought were factory grips, they were definitely Altamonts.

Note: tried to look up the auction, wouldn't come up for me.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, here is the low down...a few years ago, S&W did a design change to the N-frames. They changed the grip frame to the same size as the "K", and "L" frames, which is also the same size as the "X" frame(460 & 500 S&W). Some bean counter figures out that was less manufacturing to be done, and more money in the coffer from not having to stock one or two more size grips that has 2 different styles(square, and round grip frames).

If the buyer has a Newer N-frame, then he needs the K sized grips for that applicable frame.