In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Request help identifying pistol

JoePOregonJoePOregon Member Posts: 4
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
I am in the process of disposing of my Father?s collection of WW II souvenirs, which includes daggers, swords, pistols and drilling rifle/shotgun combinations.
I have no experience with weapons, so I would appreciate any help you could offer to identify the pistol illustrated in the attached photos. It was included with the obvious WW II Nazi weapons, so I presume it is of European origin.
It is a single-shot pistol, and appears to be about .22 caliber. I presume it is a target pistol.
JZAavv.jpg
LEuwQE.jpg
maxWRO.jpg
8CA9Nb.jpg
srU48x.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, one of a number of European target pistols, German proof marks.
    Can't read the stamp on the left side of the barrel.

Caliber might be .22 or 6mm Flobert or 4mm Zimmerstutzen.

Nobody took it off the proverbial German officer, it was probably confiscated in the general roundup of privately owned firearms during the Occupation.

Stoeger imported such guns to the USA between the wars.
    This one was $20 in 1939 which I guess was ok if you couldn't afford $23 for a H&R Sportsman revolver, $30 for a H&R USRA single shot, or $38 for a K22.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Yes : Its a 'pistol' : Had one almost like it a few years back : Never was able to really figure it out ??? it would 'shoot' .22 cal ? but the org. ammo that came with it looked like .22 cal. but was a lil different ???

Good Luck !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Flobert, a version of their 'monte cristo'.
    Made from 1850 to 1920. Yours appears to be a later target or
    "parlor" gun. .22, 6mm, and 9mm were common
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    It's a Flobert, a version of their 'monte cristo'.
    Made from 1850 to 1920. Yours appears to be a later target or
    "parlor" gun. .22, 6mm, and 9mm were common

This^^^ and don't shoot any .22 ammo through it. A .22cal "Parlor" gun shoots a .22 Flobert, or as it's called over there, a 6mm Flobert that's loaded with either a round ball or a conical bullet. A .22 BB Cap equivalent. Used indoors, common in German saloons, like you would find a dartboard in a bar now. I bet that got interesting after a few German beers.[:)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't agree, that it would be considered a Flobert,"Monte Cristo". Much more sturdy, and well made, then the run of the mill Flobert's. The proof marks are German. Hard to tell if the top one is a "R" or a "B". What ever, likely to have been made prior, to the First World War.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not a Flobert.
    It's a single shot target pistol.
    Caliber is probably .22 (6mm) but chamber length and corresponding cartridge would need to be determined by a gunsmith. It's a well-built gun.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't look my Flobert parlor pistols made in Belgium and sold in Spain around 1900. Mine are the sliding breech block type action in 6mm Flobert - both came in a hardwood case with a couple tins of rimfire cartridges too and tools for cleaning. Had to look up Flobert "Monte Cristo" and the Monte Cristo pistols have a completely different action compared to mine or the un-identified pistol shown here.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is pictured on page 196 of the 1911 ALFA catalog. It is 6MM.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1