In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I got my DNA results back from AncestryDNA

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
I got so little info it was a bust. I am told I should have used 23andMe.

Ethnicity Estimate
62% England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe

26% Ireland and Scotland

12% Germanic Europe

That was it folks!

I was told 23andMe gives you more info. Like what diseases you are genetically prone to. Oh well.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good chance we are from the same stock line then.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same for me,....English, German, Irish, Scottish. Never confirmed through a dna test, but from my known ancestors.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    23 & Me much better some of my genetic kin have used ancestry and sadly due to the lack of providing actual strings we can't even compare from 23& me to ancestry results
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    German/Irish Anyone got a beer?
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And now all the government alphabet soup departments have access to them too.

There is ZERO privacy.

:lol:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have talked to way too many people that can prove their test were incorrect, including mine ,,, Starting to. Believe the entire thing is a scam for the Government to get everyone DNA
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have talked to way too many people that can prove their test were incorrect, including mine ,,, Starting to. Believe the entire thing is a scam for the Government to get everyone DNA

I reckon privacy doesn't matter when the govt. wants to find out about someone. Never used any dna results from any of them.. if you look at the family tree it pretty well points where exactly everyone came from.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sibling had it done with similar results. Hard to imagine they can take a saliva swab and get all this data.

Its more about making a buck than anything else.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid a hundred bucks to get my DNA run on 23andme.com

It was well worth it. The results were in line with family lore, I am primarily a Celt, that is, Welsh, Irish, and Scottish.
    Also a good chunk of German and Danish I was glad to see that.

Also I can be the chief of the tribe of Pocahontas because I am more Indian than she is, I am .1 percent.

Also, best of all, I have some of the highest Neanderthal DNA ever recorded, 3 percent!
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scotch, irish, the rest bourbon and beer.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,433 ******
    edited November -1
    As far as I know, they do not have any background markers designating what a Native Americans (INDIAN) genetics are supposed to be.

If they do, as it seems kind of simple to me, they are not giving this information out to the public. Take a native American that is a real Indian with a pedigree going back many generations and test his DNA. What are the results??????
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a checkered past one should pass on supplying their DNA
    My friend, quite the drinker, says he got a ancestry test kit from his daughter.

I say "do remember everything you did in the past?"

His ancestry kit still on the shelf LOL
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bet many could get a better set of info by simply digging up family history....my aunt wrote a book going back a long way on maternal side but grandma on paternal side never talked about any family so this idea could be a tossup
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Got my results back too. It said... 100% American. That's what I thought and all I needed to know. ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, all that science they had back there when the large creatures existed..some in caves.. Yes it is pure science they stored all that knowledge and it came forth recently. Just from a sample kit they get folks to pay. What a racket for curious folks.