In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

India and the Pakis going at it

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
The Pakis are PO'ed at India for dropping bombs on some JeM terrorists that were training and camped in their area. The JeM are some bad dudes and they cause a lot of harm in India when they strike.

C&P
Islamabad, Pakistan - Indian fighter jets on Tuesday crossed into Pakistani territory, conducting what the foreign ministry in New Delhi termed a "non-military pre-emptive action" against armed group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), dramatically escalating tensions between the nuclear-armed neighbours weeks after a suicide attack in the disputed Kashmir region.

Pakistan reported the Indian airspace incursion, with military spokesman Major General Asif Ghafoor saying its air force jets were scrambling to respond, forcing the Indian aircraft to "release [their] payload in haste while escaping".

Indian Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale, however, asserted that the jets had hit their target, and that "a very large number of JeM terrorists, trainers, senior commanders and groups of jihadis who were being trained for fidayeen action were eliminated".
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's your feel for this one Sam? Just more cross border "housecleaning" before these guys really got in gear or the start of something bigger? These two countries have been sabre rattling for so many years I've almost lost count. One day, I'm afraid, one side is gonna toss a nuke at the other and the whole world will likely start to explode. There are just so many places around just simmering with potential for a global conflict to jump off.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shame we wont protect our own borders..seems many in congress and lawyers line up to take down any type of border and let the world freely in while they live in gated communities with armed guards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well they hate the hell out of each other and have had several good fights since the split in 1947. The problem is the Pakis usually start it and the Indians finish it.

The Chinese back the Pakis and Russia back the Indians. the US kind of backs both but I think we would back the Indians if we had to. The only reason we have anything to do with the Pakis is because of the Taliban and AQ, even then we know the Pakis backed the Taliban and the Saudis funneled money through Pakistan to the Taliban and AQ.

They both have Nukes and the Pakis have a 1st strike policy, India does not but that really doesn't mean all that much. I think in an all out slug fest that went nuclear the Indians would come out on top as long as the Chinese stay out of it. That is going to be the kicker because the Chinese see India as not only a trading enemy in the region but a Naval threat as well.

We have a huge presence not too far away and there is at least 2 Carrier Task forces with in a weeks steaming, maybe even 3.

Iran is getting all crazy too and with Syria in shambles this area is even more unstable than it has been in a long time.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Now Pakistan is claiming to have shot down two Indian aircraft, possibly one air crew dead, one captured. Will this pot just keep simmering or start to boil? Nothing but potential global trouble either way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would hate to be in his shoes.

The log out timer is on maybe 1 min. I cannot type fast enough :o
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    At least it looks like the respective foreign ministers are attempting to play it off as a "tit for tat" engagement. A big indicator would be if the Indian pilot is returned. The underlying issues and the suicide attack that touched this mess off haven't been addressed.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been folliwing the India/Pakistan situation since the early Kashmir Region, dispute/engagement.

Two Nuclear Powers going at it piecemeal, does not bode well for the rest of us. Once Nukes start flying, Global Powers will get dragged in very quickly. There is no Positive Outcome for us in this.

Hopefully, more Intelligent heads will prevail, as this proceeds/continues.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Pakis shot down an Indian Mig 21, one pilot captured, one killed, plus the Indians lost a Mi-17 helicopter with two dead aswell.