In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone here ever see the black dog?

DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
There are numerous documented cases, not of different people having the same hallucination at the same time for the same reason (such as a mirage caused by heat rising off the desert floor), but of different people having the same hallucination at different times and in different locations but for the same reason.

More than once while driving exhausted on dark, lonely straight roads late at night I have had the hallucination of a black dog running alongside my car, as if chasing me. Of course the hallucination is absurd; but it turns out that this same hallucination is a common one, especially among long-distance truckers who drive fatigued, to point that if a trucker says he "saw the black dog", other truckers know he meant that he was driving while dangerously overtired.

My question: How is it that separate minds under same circumstance (extreme fatigue while driving) but at different times and in different places experience the very same hallucination? And why always a black dog and not a white one, or a zebra, or simply nothing at all?