In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Building A Shooting Backstop

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I live in the country 3 miles from a town of 2000 people. On my side of the road my closest neighbor is about 3/4 of a mile away through woods and 1 field.

On the other side of the road my neighbor is about 1/8 of a mile. Im not worried about them unless its a crazy ricochet. There is only woods that i shoot into.

A friend of mine built a 6 foot wide 6 foot high and 2 foot deep target trap out of 4x4 post with 2x8 treated lumber. He made a 3x3 section in the middle with screws that could be changed out easily when its shot up.

My ? is how deep should it be. I personally think 24 inches of dirt is enough to stop everything i am going to shoot in my yard.

Mostly all i shoot is pistols or a 22 rifle. However my grandson is at the point now he wants to shoot the big boys. The biggest caliber i have is 30-06s.

He is a kid and is more interested in the ARs AKs and SKSs. So that is the main rifles that will be used.

However i want 2 AR-10s.

So how much dirt do i need to stop a 30-06?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much dirt, 2 foot should be more than enuff.
    The question is HOW long will it stop the bullets??
    Constant hits in the same spot may tend to move or spray the dirt away.
    For extra safety, your target should be down hill from your muzzle.
    This will negate the chance of a bullet taking off for a 2 mile ride.
    See this chart { the blue line} and visualize the bullet traveling down ward if it misses the backstop.
    zero%20trajectory.png