In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Compressed Air Cylinder

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I want to shoot my Civil War pistols. Cleaning them is a real mess. I want to get some compressed air to use to blow out the water from the cylinder, nipples and barrel etc.

I was looking at air compressors at Lowes but I don't really need an air compressor a tank of air would do me. I have seen these advertised online, cost fifty bucks and hold 120 psi. That ought to do me for cleaning a couple of pistols, at least.
How do you get your cylinder filled?
Also the ones I have seen just have a tire inflator hose on them. I need a little valve with which you can squirt a precise amount of air onto the cylinder of a black powder pistol.

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of large compressors but seldom use them for guns. I use the small cans of compressed air used for keyboards etcs. Do a pretty good job. Try one.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those tanks of compressed air lose pressure VERY RAPIDLY. Yes you would need a nozzle to control the air flow. I have generally found them unsuitable for compressed air use - just not enough volume. The small cans of compressed air would probably be better for your use. They do make some pretty small air compressors.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not use compressed dry air cans, that are for computer/ electronics. Staples have them as well as W-mart , etc.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Viair makes tanks as small as 1 gallon with 2 and 4 threaded ports

https://www.viaircorp.com/air-tanks/1gallon
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this, Allen. Handy little mini-compressor from Senco. I bought one to use doing finish work/cabinetry. Super quiet and I think will give you plenty of air for blowing out you pistolas.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Senco-1-Gal-1-2-HP-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-PC1010/100615090?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25H|Multi|NA|PLA|71700000032394431|58700003837562558|92700037599062080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9Gf8P6f4QIVzbbACh0Apw8EEAQYASABEgKDqfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    At only $120 it's a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a compressor to fill the tank. So you either have to take the tank to a station to fill it or have a compressor yourself. You can fill a small tank with one of the 12 volt compressors you keep in your car/truck, but it has to make enough pressure to be worth it. I have a pretty decent 12volt compressor I keep in my truck that would do it, but some of the cheap ones are just not going to be enough. A decent 12 volt compressor is 60 dollars plus.

If you have a place to keep it, an 8 gallon or so compressor that will produce 120-150 PSI would fill a tank quick if you wanted to use the tank in the house while cleaning your pistols. A compressor is also just handy to have anyway, you'll find uses for it once you get it. 100-150 dollars will get you a new one, light duty but should last quite awhile for occasional use.

If you don't think you have a need for a compressor 150 bucks will buy quite a few cans of compressed air. On the other hand if you already have a 12 volt compressor you may get a tank and give it a try.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this, Allen. Handy little mini-compressor from Senco. I bought one to use doing finish work/cabinetry. Super quiet and I think will give you plenty of air for blowing out you pistolas.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Senco-1-Gal-1-2-HP-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-PC1010/100615090?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25H|Multi|NA|PLA|71700000032394431|58700003837562558|92700037599062080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9Gf8P6f4QIVzbbACh0Apw8EEAQYASABEgKDqfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    At only $120 it's a pretty good deal.

For small shop work like he want to do that would fit the bill pretty well.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another tip allen is to use boiling water when possible, it dries as it cools, for quick field cleaning use rubbing alchohol on patches if it isn't totally dry it will burn in the discharge, and it air dries rather quickly.....
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a detachable nozzle for your hose for blowing off stuff.

I couldn't get the correct air pressure in my vehicles tires without a air compressor at home. Tire pressure needs to be checked and filled when they're cold not after they've been driven some where to get air which heats up the tires.

I have a compressor with a 30 gallon tank in the basement with an airline ran from it to a 50' reel in my workshop. Makes life easier not having to roll up twisted and kinked air hoses. It's also quieter having the compressor in a different area than where I'm working.

YjQUgEl.jpg
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can make your own out of a propane bottle. Just take off the propane valve and get a couple of bushings to make it down to accept 1/2 inch ball valve and then bring it out to an air compressor quick coupler that you can use to fill it with from a gas station, and also hook a hose to it.

But anymore you can get a small air compressor for $50. Walmart even sells them for that price and Lowe's, Home Depot and Harbor Freight has them for about $50. They have a small tank and you won't have to run to the gas station to fill up the tank.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go get the small one at harbor freight also good for tires blow guns small projects
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just use those cans of compressed air that are sold for blowing dust and lint out of computer keyboards. They are sold at computer / stationary stores.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    Compressed air cylinders are filled using an air compressor. I suppose if it had the right fitting on it, you could take it to a service station and get it filled there for a buck or whatever they charge these days.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a small elctric unit 3 to 6 gallon run it when you need it.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy a small compressor for $100 and never worry about having an empty tank.
    A man who doesn't own an air compressor??? A rare creature indeed.
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of all of my tools, it seems as though I use the air compressor the most. I don't know what I would do without it. Like people have said $50 to $100 dollars will buy one.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the compressed ether starter spray for gas engines. The ether spray will mix with any water in the gun and then very rapidly evaporate. That is much easier than relying on compressors and minitanks. Don't use it inside. Step out back, spray out the parts and then go back in. It will evaporate within seconds so you don't have to worry about the smell or fumes going in the house. Oh, also, don't smoke while you are doing this. :D
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:
    You can buy a small compressor for $100 and never worry about having an empty tank.
    A man who doesn't own an air compressor??? A rare creature indeed.

I guess I am a wimp. Let's see, I have a Stihl 039, a $640 Husqvarna, and a little Stihl chain saw, total cost $1465. Have a Makita, and a DeWalt 7 inch disc grinders. A $250 Milwaukee 1/2 inch right angle electricians drill. A Makita 3 x 24 belt sander, cost $225. A pneumatic trim nail gun cost $425 at Lowes. A Honda generator cost $890 used. A Makita cordless drill cost $165. A DeWalt circular saw cost $175. A Milwaukee Sawzall cost $175.
    Notice: No cheapo tools, only the best and most expensive.

For log building, a blacksmith made slick cost $95, worth $150. A log builder draw knife $95. An adze cost $110. A beautiful antique English made broad axe, $115. A great home made log crane cost $185. A great home made log cart cost $175.

Yes, you have made your case, I am a wimp for not having many good tools.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're missing the point. Air compressors don't have to be expensive, as long as they produce the amount of air you need.
    With approx 200 tires on the ground, my farm operation wouldn't get far w/o air compressor(s).
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    harbor freight has them for less than a 100.00 great for staplers brad nail guns and portable enough to use about any where
    also to keep tires pumped up if you do not live close to a station with air ( free air is a thing of the past at stations also )
    one other thought portable air tanks are cheap and show up at many garage sales / flea market for about 15 to 20.00 not much more for a new one
    also a option fill up to 120 pounds or so with air at a locl gas station or friends house and handy to keep around add a nozzle in place of the air chuck and good to go
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    harbor freight has them for less than a 100.00 great for staplers brad nail guns and portable enough to use about any where
    also to keep tires pumped up if you do not live close to a station with air ( free air is a thing of the past at stations also )
    one other thought portable air tanks are cheap and show up at many garage sales / flea market for about 15 to 20.00 not much more for a new one
    also a option fill up to 120 pounds or so with air at a locl gas station or friends house and handy to keep around add a nozzle in place of the air chuck and good to go

I bought one from HF a while ago. Never used it so I gave it to my son. It only worked for a few hours then died. Sometimes HF is good for tools you only need for a bit.

I currently have a dewalt pancake that I love. The only issue with it is that I have it up on a shelf in the main garage and it's a pita to take into the house if I want to use the nailer.

Looking at the Senco one, it looks pretty good and I'm honking about grabbing it from HD. With my 10% discount it's an even better deal.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

YjQUgEl.jpg
    I wish I'd bought a reel like this. I bought an enclosed reel from Sears - and man it sux having to feed the hose when I put it away. If you don't reel it in just right, you end up with several feet hanging out. I may just eat the cost and buy an el cheapo open reel from HF. I'd think that this wouldn't be a worry about HF's quality...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my oldest son was a youngster back in the late 70s and 80s and raced Moto-X I made an air tank out of a propane tank. It held enough air to make air pressure adjustments on his tires while at the track.

I had pretty much forgotten about the old tank until I was reading this thread. I was in the basement sharping the blades on my lawnmowers today and found it sitting over in a corner where it has been sitting since we moved 8 years ago. The gauge still works and it has 60 psi of air in it. It's not been used since we moved from Jasper, TN back in 1997.

bqTzfyM.jpg