In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just checked into the ER...

WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I have to be strong / solid in front of the wife, my kids and my neighbors. Not many of you know me and fewer legitimately care. I've seen others post about their health conditions so here goes...

I just checked into the ER. I was trying to roll a tree trunk so that I could cut it for firewood. I felt a snap / tear as I tore the ligament on the inside of my left elbow. It got pretty bright there for a few minutes and ups had to sit down before I fell down.

You may ask why I'm sharing this... well, I can't see my food without my glasses, I can't hear without my hearing aids. I've got sleep apnea and wear a CPAP. I wear a mouth guard because I've ground my teeth down. I'm up with "operation goldenflow" several times per night. My back and my knee are in competition to see which goes out more often than I do. Those little blue pills do nothing for me and I don't even care... I tore the ligament on my right elbow years ago and today I can barely turn a screwdriver. I've got neuropathy on both feet, causing pain most of the day.

So here I sit, holding my left arm up against my chest, feeling pretty crappy and broken.

I know that I've got it better than many, and you're probably thinking that I should shut up and get some salve for my "yeast infection," but damn.
”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- GEORGE ORWELL -

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear . sure sounds like rough younger life ( what I blame my problems on ) that took there toll and now caught up with you
    getting old sucks but even painful still better then the alternative
    hope you have a speedy recovery
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hang in there. You?ve come thru worse, you?ll do this one too. It?s ok to be a hard a** and all but you can let your guard down just a mite with those close to you. There?s no shame in it. Get yourself fixed up and let us know how things come out. We?ll be pulling for ya.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    Time to kick back and let those around you aid and assist. My mom, from Monroe County broke her hip at 85. Had the other one replaced at 86 and came back strong. She was legally blind from birth but never let it slow her down.
    Mountaineer tough!
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on hang in...

Miracles occur with modern medicine. Get the best care and do what they recommend for the cure.

Pray for help from above.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers asked for you and yours. I know you hate being down but you are not out. Listen to the doctors and rehab like they tell you too.

When i had my knees replaced following doctors orders was the best thing i could do.

Take care and let some people help you. I know its hard because i can not stand people helping me but it will help you in the long run.

I complain on this board and my family and friends never hear me complain. That is just how i am.

Prayers again for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well that's not good. Hope you get well soon.

I feel your pain. I've had tendon operations for torn tendons in my shoulders and 2 operations for torn Achilles tendon in one leg and they were no laughing matter.

I can look back now and see a little amusement in my shoulder operations. It takes a while to become ambidextrous when using toilet paper. :oops: :D
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes from hear Mr. Traveler.

Sounds like you have accumulated a few miles. Here's to many more.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like some legitimate complaints to me. Hope they can get you on the mend and perhaps address some of the other ailments to boot. Prayers proffered on your behalf.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope your elbow is on the mend quickly.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain and I abhor being in the emergency room...

But look on the bright side of they hadn't yet managed to kill me off once and for all you will most likely end up OK...

If I may suggest take notes if you can still write - or have the wife take dictation - or use your cell phone to record things (some will actually write out in longhand)

Ask questions ask about alternatives and be part of the conversation not an object of discussion

If you trust your primary care doc call him and get his opinion prior to moving forward.

Now you only have one good arm and hand left so choose the best targets when playing grab * with the nurses or even just a pat on the fanny

Regrets from mike
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    aw crap,sorry to hear this. Heal quickly and fully. Best wishes for you. Getting old aint for the weak.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks, just when the weather is getting nice enough to want to work outside.

All I can say is this is the best time in history to need medical treatment. Many here can attest to what?s possible these days and how that?s helped them.

Hang in there and let them have sometime to patch you back up. Wife had a tendon reattachment along with some other shoulder work about a year and a quarter ago. Took her a few months as they did some other clean too. But she was back at work in her gardens last summer and helped me stack firewood last summer.

Get better, be patient with yourself, none of us are getting younger!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aaahhhhhhhhhh....the golden years ??????
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    " well, I can't see my food without my glasses, I can't hear without my hearing aids. I've got sleep apnea and wear a CPAP. I wear a mouth guard because I've ground my teeth down. I'm up with "operation goldenflow" several times per night. My back and my knee are in competition to see which goes out more often than I do. Those little blue pills do nothing for me and I don't even care... I tore the ligament on my right elbow years ago and today I can barely turn a screwdriver. I've got neuropathy on both feet, causing pain most of the day."

It's no wonder that you're weary, Traveler!
    Hope your elbow heals up alright. Getting old might suck, but it beats the alternative!
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was forced into an early retirement because of a bad heart. At age 58.
    Before that I was a "horse", did everything, people swore I had a big "S" on my undershirt. Nothing was too hard, heavy, or big.

Then the heart attack and quad bypass. Then the bad veins/arteries in the legs.
    And COPD from all the chemicals I used for all those years.

I am a shadow of what I was.

But my mind is still clear and now I get enjoyment from helping others with any knowledge
    I may have.

Stay strong, if not in a physical way, be it mental. Cherish the little things in life, you
    may find that they are really the most important things.

Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1

I can look back now and see a little amusement in my shoulder operations. It takes a while to become ambidextrous when using toilet paper. :oops: :D

Yep - found that out this morning...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Folks - thank you for all the well wishes. Here's an update.

7 hours in the ER. Yep tore a few muscles / tendons. Saw the ortho surgeon this morning. Surgery is next Tuesday. Till then I'm flying (ok, stumbling about) with one wing in a sling. Said 6-8 weeks before I can gently "push, pull and turn" and about 6 months before I'll be healed enough to treat it normally.

I'm glad that summer is almost here. We have an outside wood furnace that needs loading twice per day. So, Mrs WearyOfTheTraveler will only have to haul and load firewood for a couple more weeks. And hopefully no more snow to plow and shovel. She's great and really treats me too well. I've been blessed more than I'll admit.

I make wooden signs and primitives as a hobby so that'll slow a bit as I don't think I can lift lumber and am leary about using the table saw with only one hand. But I can still play on the CNC machine so I'll stay busy.

Again - thank you all for the well wishes.
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dam sorry to hear that, I feel for you. seams like we all hit that age were we can not act like 24 year olds. Listen to doctors an get well.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can relate . I think a good number of board members can also relate.

I have spent time rocking back and forth with tears running down my face from pain and despair. Whenever I hear someone say "when life deals you lemons , bla bla bla. I want them to live in my body for a few days.

Do your best to overcome but remember this - Life can be a real * some days, but it is the only one we get. :evil: Best wishes for a fast recovery.

Keith