In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Metal Detector ?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I have lost 2 wedding bands in my yard and my sister in law has lost her engagement ring in our yard.

My wedding rings are about 200 dollars each and the engagement ring is a little over 2000 dollars.

I am sure the rings are in the yard but im not sure the engagement ring is.

I lost the wedding bands putting tick poison in the yard both times. After cancer i lost so much weight i just threw the ring off with the poison 2 times.

Hey i admit im a slow learner. LOL

I have a really nice wedding ring thats really expensive that i only wear when we go someplace expensive.

Whats a decent metal detector that will not break the bank.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a really good discriminator is expensive and a plain locator will have you digging up every pop top and nail in the yar...maybe a local club or enthusiast could do a search for you.....reward or a fine dinner if they hit pay dirt ???
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your local tool rental place.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a few bucks, go to your local rental store and rent a metal detector. This is the least expensive option.

Each mfg has many models so you need to choose wisely.

If you want to purchase your own, Garrett makes excellent metal detectors https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/garrett/
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost my UGA class ring in a dirt/muddy/manure filled pig pen 30 + yrs ago :oops: , I was positive it was there, just couldn't find it so I went and bought a Garret detector and found 2 or 3 old nails then "Bingo".....there it was :D . Still have both the ring and detector and it has been a useful tool over the years, highly recommend ownership of one.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Whites metal detector and it was pretty expensive. For a one time search it probably wouldn't be worth buying one. You might find a pretty good used one on ebay.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    I've got a Garrett Ace 200. Its a nice little entry-level detector that is affordable. I find metal detecting to be relaxing.

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/ace-200
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When metal detecting you find a lot of stuff that would be junk to other people(old tools,farm implement parts,etc.)but its not junk to the finder that dug it out of the ground.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought I'd lost a little .22 pistol in the tall grass on my property. Was complaining to a neighbor and he told me he had one and came over and searched for me.
    Check your neighbors. Put an ad on Craig's list or FB. Tell them that they can keep anything other than the rings. No need to spend money until you can't find a free one to use.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    back in the mid 1990's my BIL and I bought metal detectors I bought a whites and him a garrets both at the time the best each one had to offer
    we spent a lot of time at schools and local parks one has been around since the 1800"s along with fairgrounds and so on
    he went a lot more than I but I did find enough to cover the cost on my metal detector not my time , effort and related cost . but fun and lots of exercise . I found my buddy's kid class ring once for them throwing snowballs it came off his finger and had a some what idea of the area . I would say that was my favorite find to help them .
    what I learned more people have metal detectors and finding anyplace that has not been searched to death is all but impossible around us any way
    at the time having the latest ones I thing helped found lots of cheap jewelry and one silver cross , lots of coins one day we found a honey spot over looked some how had about 5 or 6 dollars in dimes nickles and penny's all pre 1920 my guess was a card playing area or possible favorite area for kids to play ( swing sand box area but it was about a 10 foot square area in a old park .
    silver coins , mostly dimes a few quarters and a half now ant them never found a silver dollar :cry: always a rush to find as they still come out bright penny's and nickles do not hold up so well . countless pull tabs and bottle caps but you get to where you can tell what it is but we cleaned up the trash as we went also
    I have three whites metal detectors but rarely go out I would guess 5 years at least . now the newest and latest detectors are not cheap ( when I bought mine it was at the time about 3 or 4 hundred )
    I agree ask around you may be supersized at how many living close have a detector who would help , if you buy one its a fun hobby bit dont get to excited o finding hands full of gold and silver ;)
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    U-tube has some great detecting video's, check them out, you'll be amazed at what people find. After finding my class ring it was nothing I wanted to spend time doing (really didn't have the time back then) but I've been thinking about it more & more.....time is available now :D . Just checked, mine is a ancient model Garret Freedom-1 but works like a charm and see no reason to up grade ;), it's been loaned out several times with more success's than failures.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    Dave,we bought a $49.00 Bounty Hunter Jr. (Walmart and such stores) for our granddaughter because its very liie weight and easy to use. I gotta tell you,it has really done well. Found coins,bottle caps,hair bobby pins,and a ring. We were amazed how it keeps up with the big boys.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend gave me one a renter had left behind.

I never found anything except a few nails in a board (just testing) but LOML asked me if I had one last winter (she knows how stuff tends to find me :lol: ) .

Seems a friend need one -- she found out her new husband had "friended" an old girlfriend and went outside and threw her rings into the yard.

Yep, they found them.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    harbor freight has them it is good for the cheap