In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Searcher 5 (Dan)

Okie MomOkie Mom Member Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
I found this poem that Dan wrote some time ago and thought since we lost him a year ago I'd share.

Winter of the Hawks

It was the winter of the hawks..
they sat atop every post, pole & precipice
searching, ever searching for something.
So was I.

They were looking to find something,
I was looking for something I lost.
They were destined to be
more successful than I.

They are the
guardian spirits
each one is the same,
ghostly posted at every mile.

When my time has come,
the last breath has left my body
I hope my children
will take my heart,
and feed it to the Hawks.

Watching them soar,
flying to the four directions
giving me flight,
one last freedom.

When one I love
sees a hawk circling above,
or watching from high atop his perch,
they?ll wonder if he contains my spirit.
In truth, I believe they all do.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I remember forum member Searcher5 and always enjoyed his posts.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice,....I miss Dan's presence here.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting Dan's poem!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan was one hell of a good guy. I always looked fwd to reading his posts.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn it...................he went to early

Thanks for posting
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...enjoyed his posts and thank you for returning....he was just south of our lake place in eastern kansas and i intended to go down and meet him....but always got busy and never made it.....my mistake as all of a suddden it was to late to...i do appreciate the funeral homes now that have websites to post condolences ......please add more of his writings as you can ..THANX
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also, missed his passing.

He was a good guy. Sorry to hear of this.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting Dan's poem. I enjoyed his posts, and stories. Dan truly was searching for something, so this is a very fitting poem. I hope he has found what he was searching for.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a reply to one of his posts with a smiley face that meant disapprove, and not another word. I got banned I don't miss him
    now flame away
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    jwb267 wrote:
    I made a reply to one of his posts with a smiley face that meant disapprove, and not another word. I got banned I don't miss him
    now flame away

Well what the hell ya do that for?
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jwb267 wrote:
    now flame away

He don't miss you either. Don
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcon12 wrote:
    jwb267 wrote:
    now flame away

You can damn sure betcha the rest of us won't...
    I miss Dan, he was a true gentleman and I wish I could have met him.
    Thanks for putting that up, Okie Mom
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to read his blog. He was a very interesting man and had a poets soul.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jwb267 wrote:
    now flame away

I sure didn't know a "smiley face" meant disapproval........ :o , I use it a lot :oops:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    Junkballer wrote:
    jwb267 wrote:
    now flame away

I sure didn't know a "smiley face" meant disapproval........ :o , I use it a lot :oops:

before the forum change the smileys were different from now. there was one for disaprove
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dcon12 wrote:
    jwb267 wrote:
    now flame away

You can damn sure betcha the rest of us won't...
    I miss Dan, he was a true gentleman and I wish I could have met him.
    Thanks for putting that up, Okie Mom

you are entitled to your opinion as well as i
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jwb267 wrote:
    now flame away

Well what the hell ya do that for?
    just stated a fact. nothing more nothing less
    if it makes you feel better I don't miss Elvis either
    not everyone has the same feelings towards another member here. one person was allowed to come back recently . some liked him some didn't.
    I listened to a lot of members bad mouth Spartacus. I never had a problem with him, not to mention he did a lot for the kids Christmas
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I had lost touch with some members from back when I used to spend so much time on here and trying to touch base with each as I think of them. I had been trying to and finally remembered his username out of the blue today and I wondered if he was still posting and stumbled across this thread. I did get the pleasure of meeting him. Twice in one trip actually. One day I stopped by his place of business in Coffeyville and then a few days later he invited me over to his house which is less than 10 miles from my wife's family and where I go to hunt. We talked quite a while that night and he showed me some of his firearms. The interesting thing was that during the course of our conversation, I found out my uncle was the pastor at their church and that he was also the pastor that married he and his wife years ago. Small world...

This is sad news.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thanks to you as well for posting up Dan's poem. It fits him very well as he was connected to his surroundings and it seems, all living things, including American history, especially that having to do with rebels and/or outlaws from his neck 'o the woods and elsewhere that he wrote about so much, his family and to us...his friends. He shared a tremendous amount of knowledge to these ends with us, too.

Once about eight to ten years ago I received an email from him out of the blue. This was a time in Dan's life that he had stopped posting due to, as I recall, having become disenchanted with the subject interaction on the forums. Not long after we had exchanged a few messages he began posting again, and I for one was a grateful beneficiary of his presence right up to the passing of his great spirit...as I am certain the vast majority of regulars here at GB...and visitors were as well.

Dan, thanks for being my friend.
    What's next?