In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Russia Launches Huge Sub for underwater spy missions

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Looks like a boondoggle project for Putin. With an old hull design and its size a total flop for lingering spy mission.Now for cutting communication cables as a mothership vessel then it may be an asset if the baby sub is long-range. But arming it with nuke torpedoes that travel thousands of miles to take out port cities is insane. It's a one-off sub and a mammoth one at that.

serf

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a27243915/russia-launches-belgorod-the-worlds-longest-submarine/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pop&utm_medium=email&date=042419&src=nl&utm_campaign=16678605

Although built to conduct underwater espionage, by far the most sinister mission for Belgorod is as launch vehicle for the Poseidon nuclear torpedo system. Poseidon is a very large torpedo, 65 feet long and 6.5 feet in diameter, with a range of thousands of miles and a top speed of 60 knots. Poseidon is believed to carry a 2 megaton thermonuclear warhead and is designed to go around U.S. missile defenses to strike coastal targets, including ports and cities. According to HI Sutton Belgorod will carry up to six Poseidon torpedoes.

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Totally useless.

With a hull that was started in 1992, it must sound like a a whale giving birth.

Just one of our quiet hunter/killer subs would stay on her back like a tic on a dog.

Long range,over size nuclear devices such as torpedoes and missiles are a thing of the cold war era.

The nuclear threat today is the suicide bomber walking into a major city with a 38lb.
    'nuclear bomb in a suit case.
    Or a sea container aboard a cargo ship with a big boomer inside.

600 Soviet nuclear bombs are no longer the worry.....it's the one stolen or bought device that a small country has.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    okay we can find it and destroy it if we wanted to... but I have a question. what happens when you blow it up and, possibly, some of the warheads get shredded, leaving a whole bunch of radioactive contamination in the area? or is it not a big concern because the ocean is such a large place and it would dissipate to acceptable levels?

(or any nuclear equipped sub, never thought about that before)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Most likely, if a nuclear sub was destroyed in battle, the warheads contain a small amount of enriched matter, and it would sink to the bottom because of it's heavy weight to size.
    The reactors would be the most "polluting" thing and again would sink fast in the vast waters.
    Once reactors go off line, radiation output drops. It's when a reactor {or a bomb} goes into
    critical state, that's when radiation is spewed out.

Just don't fish in the deep water for about 10,000 years. :shock:
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I have not seen pictures I think it's nearly universally accepted that the US Navy cherry picked at least 2 Ohio class SSBN's - removed Sherwood forest (maybe retaining one or two pairs of tubes) and have converted them into special ops platforms...

Use them to move a marine raider battalion or 10th mountain or 82nd airborne or rangers and seals en masse with support equipment (crew served weapons and vehicles)

VTOL jets and helicopters could suddenly pop up as if from nowhere

Combinations of specialized troops and other experts supported by crack troops and equipment

I would like to see and hear more details at some point.

Mike
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the USA has lost several bad bombs over the years and the world keeps spinning ...how many have been lost by all the other countries is a big question
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if anything happens to super sub i hope if is over the deepest ocean trench and every US vessel of any kind is proveable over a 1000 miles away..or the SHTF
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having a nuclear weapon or reactor break up and sink is a heckuva lot better than having that same weapon detonate on your coast, don't you think?

Those torpedoes are a joke. Thousands of miles at 60 knots? Giving us DAYS of time to hear it, plot it, intercept it, and destroy it. Plus plot back to where it was launched, and return the favor to the sub.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been kind a waiting for subs with just EMP launchers. Can you imagine folks with no electronics for a week let alone no idea when they'll get it back? Screw zombie Apocalypse.

As for 60 knots torpedoes don't we have "lasers"?
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or sharks that shoot laser beams from their heads....
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Maybe a nuclear-tactical mine with a dolphin delivering it on an aircraft carrier in port would be more believable scenario.

serf
    https://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-navys-combat-dolphins-are-serious-military-assets-2015-3
  • Options
    edited November -1
    serf wrote:

Maybe a nuclear-tactical mine with a dolphin delivering it on an aircraft carrier in port would be more believable scenario.

serf
    https://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-navys-combat-dolphins-are-serious-military-assets-2015-3

I think we still have some of the old 1961 MK54 {w54} warheads hidden away someplace.
    About 51 pounds weight and 22 tons of TNT strong.
    :shock:
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe they resurrected the Davey Crockett weapons platform but fixed that pesky warhead range verses lethal fall out zone circumference issue...

Or brought back the blast zone collateral damage value added ICBM targeting selection program that intended to strike the calderas of large volcanoes - to get a little extra bang for their buck...

The shaped charged focal effect applied to nuclear weapons detonation and blast wave propagation always fascinated me...

Sub surface and underwater and zero gravity vacuum environment atomic weapon detonation profiles and supplemental effects is always a fun topic.

Hydrogen bombs and EMP's and variable altitude air burst versus near ground detonation versus bunker busting ground penetrating sub surface (or variable placement depth below or just above water) presents many variable and fun targeting options...

Mike
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Please get it right.

It is "Freakin' Sharks with Laser beams on their heads."

PS, How did you like the Coffee? (Via Fat *.) :D:cry:
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see the Russian Economy is doing well enough to spend money on a new Sub.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Good to see the Russian Economy is doing well enough to spend money on a new Sub.

Well, with all the influx of cash from Little Kim, they are flush. :roll:

(And) It is more like they spent $$ on an Old Sub, with "60 knots, 6 1/2' (diameter) 65' long torpedoes, traveling thousands of miles, in order to take out targets on land."

"Freakin' Sharks with Laser Beams on their heads." :lol:
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Please get it right.

At least you got it.. :lol: ...I forgot about the 'freakin' part
  • Options
    edited November -1

Please get it right.

At least you got it.. :lol: ...I forgot about the 'freakin' part

So,...............................................................You liked the Coffee?
  • Options
    lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meh !!! If You hear about it or see it then it?s already obsolete!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lew07 wrote:
    Meh !!! If You hear about it or see it then it?s already obsolete!!!

YEAP!!

You must know about military armament. ;)