In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Teacher Ralley May 1 StateHouse

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Seems some Teachers in the state are doing a walkout this coming Weds and protesting higher wages. The State of SC has already given them a 4% raise for next year. That is not enough they want 10%. Should get interesting since Gov. McMaster is not happy the Teachers are doing it. No Teachers Union is representing the protestors.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here.

The schools are closed for it.

Our limpdick Governor will probably be marching with them :x

NC Teachers pay is ranked 29th in the US and their salary has been raised almost 10% in the last 2 years.

All the money that goes to education I figure they should be making some serious bucks. They have the Lottery, Money from Liquor sales, Property tax and income tax money. I think over 1/2 of my property tax goes to education.

Let them march I hope its raining.

I forgot May 1 is a commie parade day that just shows you where their head is.
    RLTW

• Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Education money around here goes to highly overpaid administrators like Pricipals and Superintendents. Seems like there are plenty of Vice principals and other staff making over 6 figures. While teachers in some districts take over 20 years to get to top pay.

Does it take over 20 years to master a subject area of teaching?
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With the 4% raise they are above the South East average wage for Teachers. Can't wait to see what the district superintendents do to those Teachers that are against the 4% and take off school that day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:
    Education money around here goes to highly overpaid administrators like Pricipals and Superintendents. Seems like there are plenty of Vice principals and other staff making over 6 figures. While teachers in some districts take over 20 years to get to top pay.

Does it take over 20 years to master a subject area of teaching?

Absolutely Not. The new Teachers are complaining their student loans need paid. WTH everyone had student loans to get their degree. Each district has a sliding pay scale. More years more money. More degrees more money. Wife is at the top pay scale cannot go higher with her Ph.d. and yrs. Of course with big money comes more responsibility . 180 Days a yr.she is making a little over 90k . Next yr add 4% she will be around the 95K a yr. plus any additional payment the district has her do. Next yr. will be her last. Most likely will do just do part time advisory for the district on her time.
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    l graduated seventh grade in 1958 from Midland Park Elementary in Charleston. We had one Principal, his secretary, a librarian, 4 people in the lunchroom, a teacher for each 30 student class, 2 classes per grade. A staff of 21 people ran a school of app 420 students... The school ran smoothly. We LEARNED to read and write.. Other stuff TOO... l don't remember what the teachers got paid.. l do remember lunches were 20 cents. Text book rental was about $6.00 a year. Library late fee was 2 cents a day... l just wonder what the staff number is for a grammar school today with a 420 student body?? How many of that 420 can read and write :?: :?: :?:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another complaint these new Teachers make. Class room size is too large. They have usually around 18-20 students. WTH when I went to school there were 30-35 in a class.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't verified but I recall seeing somewhere that the US pays more per student than most countries yet falls low on the ranking for results.

I know a couple of teachers and they've got a lot of responsibilities. They've got to do things that should (used to?) be done by parents.

I think that throwing more money at it isn't going to fix a darned thing - until parents and society change.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also - that's not to say that the teachers are not in some way responsible for the poor results.
    I sat in on a class where a math teacher admitted that she "didn't know all the letters" when we were discussing cursive. She was in her late 30s. So this is not a _new_ problem.

The US has allowed way too many things to degrade in the effort not to offend or hold people accountable.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And as long as I'm on a rant-roll! This is only going to get worse!

I have a local neighbor where the mom has done a lot of her son's homework. For whatever reason he didn't and she did. What's going to happen to his kids? Who's going to be able to do or help with their homework?

I gave a CCW class where a father / daughter attended. As I watched them fill out the application, the daughter had to tell the father how to spell the county name - Grant.
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The legislature in Washington State a couple of years ago passed a school funding bill that provided a large short-term influx of money into the local school systems.

The monies available in 2018 were targeted to salaries. Teacher Unions demanded and got somewhere around a 14% average pay increase. Most of us realized that this level of pay was not funded in subsequent years. The unions were no doubt also aware that future funding was not there, but seem to have made the determination that they could cry about it for the 2019-2020 school year and someone would cave and give them more money.

At present, this decision seems to have bit them in the *, as all of the local districts have drawn up lay-off lists to balance their budgets.

So, those that are charged to educate our children are either manipulative and conniving, ignorant and easily lead, or just dumb.

Not the best of choices, but there are few other options.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its the upper crust of the teachers that are double dipping and making up jobs for themselves, HIGH paying ones for basically doing nothing. Eliminate the unneeded and there will be money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its the upper crust of the teachers that are double dipping and making up jobs for themselves, HIGH paying ones for basically doing nothing. Eliminate the unneeded and there will be money.

Hilarious.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Hilarious.
    No, it is a fact in Illinois.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i worked in the courthouse 70% of the taxes went to the schools...and seems most i see is spent on sports.....drive thru your area and see how many schools have brand new sports complexes......and how about their 3 month vacation ??????????????????????
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    when i worked in the courthouse 70% of the taxes went to the schools...and seems most i see is spent on sports.....drive thru your area and see how many schools have brand new sports complexes......and how about their 3 month vacation ??????????????????????

I?ve been preaching this for years. Sports and, to be fair, music should be dropped from all high school and college programs.

Why are we paying these idiot coaches millions to babysit a bunch of thugs, that can?t read or write.

My taxes are paying for this, and it?s outrages !

Let the local rec centers pick up the slack, and the parents pay for it, with donations from the community.
  • Options
    jrentjrent Member Posts: 89
    edited November -1
    Around here money was throwed to the birds in the early 2000's for higher educations for staff as we have doctors galore in our system costing more now. Money is short now as the no child left behind money that was throwed at schools to try and fix them did not work under GB jr. Everybody wants more money and if it is like around here except for maybe Science, Math and Speech teacher the others will be easily replaced.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and for ALL this money spent and whiney teachers demanding more MONEY while their ratings are.....AMERICA is #38 in math of a listing of 71 countries.....#24 in a list of 71 in science and in another ranking overall 27th of 71 in education & healthcare in 2016......big raises ???? does not seem earned....china is on a rising trend while America is headed the other way
  • Options
    castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Absolutely what diver-rig says. They don't have sports in schools in Europe. They have sports but they're done through clubs. Schools are for education. We need to start doing it that way.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The school systems and the teachers unions have a monopoly on education. We need some competition.
    School Choice legislation allows parents to send their kids to the private school of their choice and divert their tax money to that school, rather than to the local system. Obviously the unions and their political cronies can't allow that. So it doesn't get going, let alone passed.
    My kids go to a private school so I pay their tuition there AND I pay taxes to my local school system.
    The local school has a newer facility, most of it being built in the last five years. Big fancy gym, the works. And poor results to go with that. Their state school grade is a D.
    https://reportcard.education.ohio.gov/school/overview/029694
    They spend about $17 thousand a year per student. Over three times what my kids' school spends.
    So cry me a river, teachers.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tomh. wrote:
    The school systems and the teachers unions have a monopoly on education. We need some competition.
    School Choice legislation allows parents to send their kids to the private school of their choice and divert their tax money to that school, rather than to the local system. Obviously the unions and their political cronies can't allow that. So it doesn't get going, let alone passed.
    My kids go to a private school so I pay their tuition there AND I pay taxes to my local school system.
    The local school has a newer facility, most of it being built in the last five years. Big fancy gym, the works. And poor results to go with that. Their state school grade is a D.
    https://reportcard.education.ohio.gov/school/overview/029694
    They spend about $17 thousand a year per student. Over three times what my kids' school spends.
    So cry me a river, teachers.

Nailed it!!
    Not only that, but you children would not get indoctrinated into partisan DEMOCRAT ideology.