In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL sellers rant

DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I would really like to see the sellers put on their auctions that they will either or not sell to C&R FFL license people. A lot of sellers put FFL required and then when a person sends them a C&R they reply that they wont sell to them because they think its not a real FFL. So until the ATF changes it I would say that it is a FFL just a different class. Might save a lot of headaches for the buyers and sellers. And yes I always send a pm asking first. It would just make it easier for all.

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCREW those types of FFLs!

I refuse to do business with them, and the management of GunBroker wants them GONE. So, if you find one that is listed on Gunbroker's list f FFLs, report them, and they'll be removed.

They can "follow the rules" and not make up their own rules, as far as I'm concerned!

Merc
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DresserDan wrote:
    So until the ATF changes it I would say that it is a FFL just a different class.

It is a different class it's a Class 3 FFL. The FFL holders you speak of know what a Class 3 is they just resent the fact that you can buy guns with the Class 3 because they don't like anyone that's not in their private Class 1 club.

Screw them. There's plenty of sellers that know the law and want to sell to anyone that's legal. I wouldn't buy chit from one of the snob SOB's.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rant all you want. I won't ship to CnR because I can't ship thru USPS. I'm not driving 30 miles to find the closest FedEx or UPS.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a long conversation with an ATF superintendent several years ago. He said an 03 C&R is recognized is an FFL, but limited in scope.
    They have the same purpose as an 01, 02, 03, and 06 - 011 FFLs.

I believe if the sellers on GB will not follow the intent of the law then they should be reported and removed. Encourage every 03 FFL to report such activity as encountered.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,407 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Rant all you want. I won't ship to CnR because I can't ship thru USPS. I'm not driving 30 miles to find the closest FedEx or UPS.

Why do you have to drive 30 miles? Both FedEx and UPS will pick up at your place,
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See something you like ask the seller if he accepts C&R .. No problems here after 20 years with GB ..
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Why do you have to drive 30 miles? Both FedEx and UPS will pick up at your place,

+1000

When i was selling a lot on ebbbbby, I printed the paid postage/shipping label, waited till the next day, the ups man drove up to my workshop/small shipping office and I handed him the boxes.
    I walked 18 feet to meet him who walked 7 feet.
    :D
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr Dog is correct, we are flagellating the departed equine. But, some topics bear repeating, as we are always getting new members here.

Mr Traveler may have valid reasons for not wanting to ship by Fedex or UPS; he may not want to wait at home all day for a pickup. And, many C&R holders get upset when they are charged $80 for shipping a handgun; they don't read the Fedex/UPS tariffs, which tell us that handguns must be shipped Next Day Air.

On the other hand, owners of brick-and-mortar stores really don't have any reason to refuse shipping to a C&R. If ATF doesn't think that you need to run an FFL type 03 through EZ-Check, why isn't that good enough for you? Ask for a copy of the C&R's drivers license, & that's as much ID as you get when a stranger walks into your store.

Worried about state laws? That's why ATF sent you a DVD with State Laws & Published Ordinances - Firearms. Or, go to the AIM Surplus website, & they have a list that shows what you can ship to each state.

Neal
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shipping to a type 01 FFL is 100% safe and there is no question as to whether the firearm complies with the licencees ability to receive.

If a seller is not 100% a firearm is a C&R, shipping to a type 01 removes any question of liability.

I do not mean to be dismissive, but if a seller does not want to ship to a C&R, it is that seller's decision.

Either do not bid, get over yourself, or both.

Respectfully, of course.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    UPS pick up here is $7.00.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a seller doesn't want to sell to a qualified, government legal, card carrying 03 FFL then he/she should be banned from selling anything to anyone on gunbroker. It's a form of discrimination pure and simple. Why should a qualified buyer have to skip by an item he/she would like to purchase because a seller has their head planted firmly up their butts? That's like saying "I won't ship to you because your hair is brown".

This issue seems like a classic NO BRAINER to me, a seller that is refusing to honor a federal government issued FFL license should be banned from all sales on GB.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    edited November -1

Because I love 30 miles from the closest UPS facility. When they start stopping by on a daily basis I might consider, but until then, nope.

And I'm not going to pay for a special trip to my place...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bullshot wrote:
    If a seller doesn't want to sell to a qualified, government legal, card carrying 03 FFL then he/she should be banned from selling anything to anyone on gunbroker. It's a form of discrimination pure and simple. Why should a qualified buyer have to skip by an item he/she would like to purchase because a seller has their head planted firmly up their butts? That's like saying "I won't ship to you because your hair is brown".

This issue seems like a classic NO BRAINER to me, a seller that is refusing to honor a federal government issued FFL license should be banned from all sales on GB.

Apologies about the comment about misspelling... but all else remains...

I choose not to ship to a CnR because I cannot ship via USPS, which is the only service that'll pick up free from my home.

We're not all located down the street from a UPS or FedEx facility, yet you feel that those of us that choose not to make a long drive or pay an additional pickup fee, then sit by the door and wait, should be banned?

I state clearly in my auctions that I will not ship to CnR. I also state that I won't ship to California. Don't like it or can't accept it? Tough - don't bid.
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,407 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1

Because I love 30 miles from the closest UPS facility. When they start stopping by on a daily basis I might consider, but until then, nope.

Why not? Just make it plain in your auctions what the shipping charges are, and why they're that much. No need to shaft the C&R holders, just honestly state the shipping costs, any why .
  • Options
    edited November -1

Why not? Just make it plain in your auctions what the shipping charges are, and why they're that much. No need to shaft the C&R holders, just honestly state the shipping costs, any why .

As I and others have stated, I don't want to sit n wait for a pickup.

Plain n simple, if I can't have my mailman pick it up or drop it off at the local PO on a trip to the store, nope...

I, and no one is shafting CnRs. If they want the item, they can go thru their local FFL.
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    edited November -1

Plain n simple, if I can't have my mailman pick it up or drop it off at the local PO on a trip to the store, nope...

I, and no one is shafting CnRs. If they want the item, they can go thru their local FFL.

Well my opinion is sellers who can't/won't/are not interested in following the letter of the law should be drummed out of GB auctions. Want to sell modern arms within the law, fine. Can't/won't meet the requirements for C&R sales? Don't sell those arms on GB then.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,700 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a C&R license. A seller on GB had a Remington Model 17 I wanted. The auction stated that he would not ship to a C&R holder. I won the auction and paid a FFL dealer $20 to receive and transfer. Everybody happy.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a private collector and occasional seller, I don't want to deal with the hassle. I do mark the auctions that it applies to as NO SHIPPING TO C&R

My local UPS/FED ex act like you have committed a crime when you try to ship to a C&R, I've been told I should seek out the manager but you miss the point I don't want the hassle so I use my FFL to ship to a FFL by post office that way no questions.
    bullshot wrote:

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The horse is no more. It has passed on. He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace!

THEIR auction, THEIR choice. MY money, MY choice.

Rifles and shotguns can be mailed by US Mail to a C&R holder. Yes, some states have their own rules (CA). Yes, sometimes it is impossible to say that rifle was made in THAT year. Yes, there are C&R holders that do not know what their license covers.

Having said that- I have emailed sellers to the effect of "Nice Mossberg 151K. I am a C&R FFL holder, and that rifle was only manufactured in 1950/51. Would you accept my C&R FFL for transfer?"

Most have said yes. A few, politely say no. A very few turn into raving, frothing at the mouth loonies. GOD! That was a close thing- I almost wound up doing business with a JERK!

Have held an 03 C&R since 1976. Got it so that (1) I can collect while traveling, and (2) so that I do not have to pay a dealer a transfer fee. Yeah, some charge $20. Have also seen $150 transfer fees, If I have to pay a transfer fee, then what I am willing to bid just got lowered by that much.

Sadly, have been face to face with an 01 FFL that had no idea what an 03 FFL was- or even knew there was more than 1 type of FFL. Have been patient, asked that they call local ATF office if they had concerns- and most have been decent folks about it.

Bottom line- gun collecting is my HOBBY that I pursue to relax and enjoy. It ain't worth fighting over.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's simple just report any seller that won't ship to a C&R holder to GunBroker and let them kick them off the site. CaptFun didn't put up with the BS. He weeded them out.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Well my opinion is sellers who can't/won't/are not interested in following the letter of the law should be drummed out of GB auctions. Want to sell modern arms within the law, fine. Can't/won't meet the requirements for C&R sales? Don't sell those arms on GB then.

Spot ON. Sell somewhere else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    11b6r wrote:
    Bottom line- gun collecting is my HOBBY that I pursue to relax and enjoy. It ain't worth fighting IDIOTS over.

Fixed it for you.