In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Still here, still trying.....

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Well good news, I am still on the right side of the grass :)

Bad news is 5 weeks post OP and I have to go back and have it done again, just cant shake this stupid infection. It is in the wound from the gallbladder surgery, over 10 years ago, this will be #5.

Just to add to the problems 4 weeks, yep one week after they cut on me I "bumped" into the door frame and broke a bone in my hand, one week later at Erica's Birthday dinner, I bumped my hand on the edge of the table, sure enough busted another bone in the hand. I have no idea what is wrong and why my hand seems so brittle. Dr did some testing and it all looks good, but also found other old fractures. Maybe that idea of the 45-70 Gov in a pistol should be re-thought. LOL

The fun does not stop with that, due to the EDS I cant use a cast, oh the joys of that. But the big one is coming, I need my left elbow replaced, the Ortho Dr knows about EDS and how it effects healing, so I cant have a nice new shiny metal elbow, we are going to try a major overhaul first, if that fails then we try the elbow. Here is the kicker, with no cast, how do I keep the elbow still for 2-3 months? I am thinking a clam shell thing like I have used on my hand before, it is removable. With my poor healing this is the time frame we are looking at right now. But the Dr told us he wont do anything until this infection is cleared up. I understand why, but it is so hard these days when I cant use either arm for much.

Now one good thing, I am down 80 lbs, I had been dropping weight each month and my Dr said the more off the better. He asked me what I though of some diet pill, just a RX Amphetamine, the seriously bad part is it would make blood pressure go up. That is not good when I am in stroke range on a normal day. But I decided to give it a try, now we have no idea why but the silly med has dropped my blood pressure to NORMAL HUMAN levels. :) If I miss a pill the BP goes right back up, odd how things work for me at times.

Now the rest of the family, Rita is almost bed bound and on oxygen most of the time. The congestive heart failure is putting a whooping on her. Diabetes, allergies and pasture burning season are not helping at all.

Micheal is back to having heart rhythm problems, they cant figure out why, he was born with this problem and it comes and goes.

Erica is doing as good as ever, she did have a serious dislocation of her "good" knee when working, lucky for her she and her boss had just finished lunch and were walking back to her station, customer service at wal-mart, when the leg just folded under her. They cant say she was doing anything against her personal rules to cause this, but now everyone in the store knows she is a "weirdo" that is making her mad. Her boss was shocked when she just missed half a shift, she is tough and this was not the first time.

Sorry I dont post much, I spend more time reading and trying to do things that can be done with the mouse. I need one of those talk to type programs so I can be back with my endless knowledge of useless things. :)

So for those who read this far how are you doing?
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great to hear from you, Dave.

Have been wondering how you and family were doing.

As always, your spirit bouys me, and also as always, my thoughts are with you.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see you posting Dave.

Sorry for your Medical troubles.

Stupid question, but do your previous Doctors/Hospital that operated on you, take any financial responsibilities for the repeated surgeries to deal with negative consequences from the first surgery?

I'd be pissed.

Sorry you are having to go through this.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,406 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Thanks for checking in with an update, Dave. I ask prayers for all you folks regularly.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,

After I finished with the first 6 months of targeted radiation treatment and platinum based chemotherapy I was admitted to the hospital to have what was left of the tumor removed...

Those events and other did not kill me - but the nasty antibiotic resistant super flesh eating staff infection came pretty close to finishing me off...

The verdict was that the staff infection had been passed around amongst patients and staff at the hospital - poor hygiene practices being blamed.

When they discovered a brain tumor they gave me some more radiation and chemo - intense regimes targeted on the head and brain which I survived / which did not kill me...

They released me from the hospital - discharged me against my doctors advice and against the advice of the physical therapy department (concerns over severe vertigo) and I ended up back in the emergency room 48 hours later after blacking out and falling while suffering from a severe vertigo episode - I broke or damaged 9 ribs and needed stitches to close a nasty head lac

When they did discharge me again it was with an anti vert prescription and an ambulatory release from the head of the PT dept.

As you and others have learned despite great doctors and nurses and staff the hospital is as likely to cause your demise as the condition you needed treatment for...

Try to find more time to visit us and to post updates - hearing from you is important to us and those of us dealing with serious health issues can benefit from hearing your take on things...

Mike
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see you posting Dave.

Sorry for your Medical troubles.

Stupid question, but do your previous Doctors/Hospital that operated on you, take any financial responsibilities for the repeated surgeries to deal with negative consequences from the first surgery?

I'd be pissed.

Sorry you are having to go through this.

Doctors and hospitals do not have a standard warranty policy.

Basically, if they screw up, they get to charge you (often repeatedly) to fix their own mistakes.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,062 ******
    edited November -1
    Great to have you checking in,do so as often as you're able. Prayers for you and yours.