In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Union Pacific had a Big Boy fired up yesterday

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Would have been cool to be in Cheyenne to see it. I hope to catch it out in the tracks this summer on its way to Utah.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-hGabZ3pPY

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the old big boy stem engines are amazing
    My oldest son is a train fan to say the least he was telling me about it today also th eticket cost for the short ride on the run this time like 5k I think he said on the observation car
    he has a repop of a aluminum build plate he was showing me he just picked up sorry I do not recall the engine number though
    he has traveled the country times taking photographs and riding the steam engines .
    I know he is a member of the engine 765 engine support club ? out of Indiana
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the sound does not send a chill up your spine, better check for a pulse.

This is the C&O #614 Greenbrier. One of the last 4-8-4s that were built. Video from the air during an 80+ mph run. locomotive is in the C&O museum right now for restoration, to be returned to service for excursion runs. Rode on her one time- it was a GAS!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=greenbrier+class+locomotive&&view=detail&mid=EA1A3BF0EAB1191A788BEA1A3BF0EAB1191A788B&rvsmid=9932F2504DC7E366EF279932F2504DC7E366EF27&FORM=VDRVRV
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,063 ******
    edited November -1
    There was/is a train museum in St. Louis. Just loved going there both as a kid and as I was older. Those old trains are soooo cool.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    There was/is a train museum in St. Louis. Just loved going there both as a kid and as I was older. Those old trains are soooo cool.
    Yep been there several times myself they had a big boy there
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, yes they did. And at 1:00 AM this Saturday morning, I'll be heading off to Cheyenne to watch the 4014 and 844 double head out of Cheyenne heading to the biggest railroad event in 150 years!
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big rail fan family here.
    Thanks for the videos!
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the late 70's while on vacation, we stopped at Steamtown in Bellows Falls, Vermont. They had a BIG BOY there as a static display. Just standing next to that thing was kind of overwhelming to the senses due to its size. I've been around a lot of steam engines through the years and that one was by far the most impressive. :shock:
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The National Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood Missouri has I would say the largest collection of Retired Train Engines in the Country. Big Boy 4006, 600 tons with Tender is idle at the Museum. If traveling thru St. Louis the Museum is one place you can spend a day and be in awe at the size of the 4006. Amazing that equipment of the size of the Big Boys even rolled on the rails back when.

I wish that I could be THERE!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Big Event" is the 150th anniversary of the driving of the Golden Spike near here in Utah. They do a full reenactment of the original ceremony every May 10, which I have attended. This time, it promises to be a truly huge event.

The Golden Spike National Monument out on Promontory Summit is quite remote. It's a long drive from darn near anywhere, but the crowds are expected to be in the thousands for the reenactment, regardless.

As part of that celebration, the Big Boy will come to Ogden (no trains go to the Golden Spike site any more) and they're offering a scenic trip back to Evanston Wyoming for about 80 people. I'm told all the tickets are sold already, even though the cheap seats are $3000 a person and a seat in the dome car is $5000. For a 78-mile train trip and a bus ride back. Box lunches will be served. Oh, joy! No word about whether they'll carry passengers from Evanston back to Cheyenne.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My oldest son is a train fan to say the least I know he is a member of the engine 765 engine support club ? out of Indiana

Nickel Plate Road #765 is from Ft. Wayne, IN.
    It's a 2-8-4 built in Lima (Lye-ma ;) ), OH.
    I've been on her a couple times, in a vintage coach. With the coal dust coming in the open windows even!
    If you get a chance, I highly recommend a ride.

https://fortwaynerailroad.org/nickel-plate-road-no-765/
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As usual, I will miss this due to work schedule.

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Union Pacific
    Emergencies:
    1-888-877-7267
    Mobile Menu
    Home Heritage UP Steam
    2019 Union Pacific Steam Schedule

Coming out to see our steam locomotives in person?

Stand back at least 25 feet from all railroad tracks.
    Railroad tracks, trestles, yards and right-of-way are private property - please do not trespass.
    Never assume tracks are abandoned or inactive - ALWAYS expect a train.
    Read more safety tips

Celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad?s Completion

Union Pacific?s historic steam locomotives ? Big Boy No. 4014 and the Living Legend No. 844 ? are touring the Union Pacific system throughout 2019 to commemorate the transcontinental railroad's 150th anniversary.

The Big Boy?s return to the rails is the product of more than two years of meticulous restoration work by the Union Pacific Steam Team. No. 4014 is the world's only operating Big Boy locomotive.

Due to the dynamic nature of these operations, running times and scheduled stops are subject to change. The most accurate steam schedule information always will be located on this page.

Join the Union Pacific Steam Club to be notified of major schedule updates. Small schedule changes will be communicated immediately via the UP Steam Club Facebook Group and the @UP_Steam Twitter feed located at twitter.com/up_steam.

JUMP TO:Toggle
    The Great Race to Ogden ? No. 844

To ensure the Big Boy is ready for its big debut, No. 844's whistle-stop tour that was scheduled for April 27-28 has been cancelled. Instead, No. 844 will double-head with No. 4014 from Cheyenne to Ogden on May 4.

The Great Race to Ogden ? No. 844 and No. 4014

Big Boy No. 4014 will leave Cheyenne with the Living Legend No. 844 May 4 following a 9:30 a.m. MT christening ceremony at the historic Cheyenne Depot and arrive in Ogden for the May 9 celebratory event. The event will be streamed live at 10:30 a.m. MT via the Union Pacific Facebook page.

The Big Boy and Living Legend will make several brief stops in communities on their way to Ogden.

Saturday, May 4
    Christening
    Depart 9:30 a.m. MT
    10:00 a.m. MT Cheyenne, Wyo.
    Cheyenne Depot Museum
    121 W. 15th Street
    Christening Ceremony Ticket Information
    Arrival
    Depart 11:15 a.m. MT
    11:30 a.m. MT Harriman, Wyo.
    County Road 102 Crossing
    Arrival
    Depart 12:30 p.m. MT
    1:15 p.m. MT Laramie, Wyo.
    Laramie Historic Railroad Depot
    E. Kearney and S. 1st St.
    Arrival
    Depart 2:30 p.m. MT
    3:15 p.m. MT Medicine Bow, Wyo.
    Hwy. 30 at Medicine Bow-McFadden Rd.
    Arrival 4:45 p.m. MT Rawlins, Wyo.
    East Railroad St & Higley Blvd.
    Sunday, May 5
    Depart 8:00 a.m. MT Rawlins, Wyo.
    Arrival
    Depart 9:15 a.m. MT
    10:00 a.m. MT Wamsutter, Wyo.
    Near Water Tower
    Broadway Street
    Arrival 11:15 a.m. MT Rock Springs, Wyo.
    501 N. Front St
    Monday, May 6
    Depart 4:00 a.m. MT Rock Springs, Wyo.
    501 N. Front St
    Arrival
    Depart 4:55 a.m. MT
    5:10 a.m. MT Green River, Wyo.
    Depot
    200 E. Railroad Ave
    Arrival
    Depart 6:15 a.m. MT
    7:00 a.m. MT Granger, Wyo.
    Main Street crossing
    Arrival 8:45 a.m. MT Evanston, Wyo.
    1500 Main St.
    Tuesday, May 7
    No Public Display Evanston, Wyo.
    1500 Main St.
    Wednesday, May 8
    Depart 8:00 a.m. MT Evanston, Wyo.
    1500 Main St.
    Arrival
    Depart 9:25 a.m. MT
    9:40 a.m. MT Echo, Utah
    Echo Road Crossing
    Arrival
    Depart 10:20 a.m. MT
    10:35 a.m. MT Morgan, Utah
    Morgan Depot
    98 Commercial Street
    Arrival 11:35 a.m. MT Ogden, Utah
    No Public Access
    Thursday, May 9
    Ogden's Heritage Festival
    Celebration 10:30 a.m. MT Ogden, Utah
    Ogden Union Station
    2501 Wall Ave.
    Open to the Public
    No Ticket Required
    More Information: Ogden Heritage Festival
    On Display: Noon ? 3:00 p.m. MT Ogden, Utah
    Ogden's Union Station
    2501 Wall Ave.
    Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car
    Great Race to Ogden Route Map
    View Larger

The Great Race from Ogden ? No. 844 and No. 4014

Following the 150th anniversary celebrations, No. 4014 and No. 844 will double-head on their return trip to the Union Pacific Steam Shop in Cheyenne, stopping in communities along the way including Rock Springs and Laramie, Wyoming.

Friday, May 10 ? Saturday, May 11
    On Display: 10:00 a.m. ? 3:00 p.m. MT Ogden, Utah
    Ogden Union Station
    2501 Wall Ave.
    Sunday, May 12
    Spike 150 Train Excursion
    Depart 8:00 a.m. MT
    Ogden, Utah
    Ogden Union Station
    2501 Wall Ave.
    Spike 150 Train Excursion Tickets

Arrival
    9:25 a.m. MT Morgan, Utah
    98 Commercial Street
    Arrival
    Depart 9:55 a.m. MT
    10:05 a.m. MT Echo, Utah
    Echo Road Crossing
    Arrival 11:05 a.m. MT Evanston, Wyo.
    Evanston Depot
    10th St.
    Monday, May 13
    Depart 8:00 a.m. MT Evanston, Wyo.
    Arrival
    Depart 10:00 a.m. MT
    10:45 a.m. MT Granger, Wyo.
    Main Street crossing
    Arrival
    Depart 11:50 a.m. MT
    12:05 p.m. MT Green River, Wyo.
    200 E. Railroad Ave
    Arrival 12:45 p.m. MT Rock Springs, Wyo.
    501 N. Front St
    Tuesday, May 14 ? Wednesday, May 15
    On Display: 9:00 a.m. ? 3:00 p.m. MT Rock Springs, Wyo.
    501 N. Front St
    Thursday, May 16
    Depart 8:00 a.m. MT Rock Springs, Wyo.
    501 N. Front St
    Arrival
    Depart 9:00 a.m. MT
    9:15 a.m. MT Point of Rocks, Wyo.
    Black Buttes Road
    Arrival
    Depart 10:30 a.m. MT
    11:30 a.m. MT Wamsutter, Wyo.
    Near Water Tower
    Broadway Street
    Arrival 12:45 p.m. MT Rawlins, Wyo.
    Friday, May 17
    Depart 8:00 a.m. MT Rawlins, Wyo.
    Arrival
    Depart 9:00 a.m. MT
    9:15 a.m. MT Hanna, Wyo.
    Main St. & Front St.
    Arrival
    Depart 9:45 a.m. MT
    10:45 a.m. MT Medicine Bow, Wyo.
    Hwy. 30 at Medicine Bow-McFadden Rd.
    Arrival 12:45 p.m. MT Laramie, Wyo.
    No Public Access
    Saturday, May 18
    No Public Access Laramie, Wyo.
    Sunday, May 19
    Depart 8:00 a.m. MT Laramie, Wyo.
    Arrival
    9:25 a.m. MT Sherman Hill, Wyo.
    Arrival 11:05 a.m. MT Cheyenne, Wyo.
    UP Steam Shop
    Great Race to Ogden Route Map
    View Larger
  • Options
    edited November -1
    talked with my oldest son a short time ago about the event
    he bought tickets and parking pass and hotel reservations the day they announced a date for the event
    he has to be one the biggest rail fan members
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Museums are great but how many of them the up and running. UP has invested in their steam program and they are out on the tracks ever summer. I have seen a lot of steam engines in parks and museums but you have not seen anything or heard anything until you see one running the tracks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My father was asked to be the engineer of this run right here. He retired from UP this past year after 46 years. I am proud of my family?s history in railroad. Grandpa retired after 47 1/2 year as a foreman in the diesel shop in Pocatello before diesel he worked on steam.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mIyelgRJeiY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Couple pics form that run387253_acdb3293bdbf1b7cf9fd01b27c78bf28.jpeg387253_7add2295f199940edc5b0b78405ddbce.jpeg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That?s Grandpa387253_f0973f44f094bb424fec60a4aa399d5e.jpeg387253_bc045a48ba77e003b6d3e718f62a0445.jpeg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not a train guy, but I am old enough to remember seeing and hearing the last of the steam trains on regular freight runs in and out of St Louis. There are few things more haunting than the iconic sound of a steam engine chuffing along at full speed - or its whistle.

One of the premier steam train experiences still running is the Durango to Silverton Colorado trip. Not only do they run vintage steam engines and period cars, but the trip goes through spectacular canyon scenery you cannot reach by car. https://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us#.WM62b6K1uM8
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, it was a cinder from one of their trains that started that huge Colorado wildfire last year. I'm not sure if they have been declared financially liable, or by how much, but even a million would * them. Wife and I have traveled there twice now to take that train ride. The first time, the engine broke down and we had to back up several miles back to the station. The second time, their train started that fire the day before we got there and all rides were cancelled. I'd hate to think I'm their jinx, but...
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,701 ******
    edited November -1
    As a kid, I remember seeing the the Virginian Railroad electric locomotives come through my hometown, hauling coal to Norfolk. The main power plant was in my home town, Narrows, Va.
    https://youtu.be/NO2Ji697aBo
    Skip to 2:20 to see the electric engines
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Living in St.Louis in my youth and my GrandFather an Engineer for MoPac worked till his death, Mesothelioma finished him off, but he loved and hated the steam. The power from steam, heat and dust not so much.

As a kid I would see just an amazing assortment of different companies equipment. It seemed like every class 1 company dragged out of St. Louis even though that wasn't the case. Their are just a few large switchyards in the area also counting in nearby Illinoi.

As tech moves on so does the rail companies with automated Engines. Even though mainly used in freight yards, one day they will be mainline draggers, and pushers with some guy working 2 or three at one time from an office chair. As a wag I believe that automated has been around here now for some 10 years in the yards.

Times are a changin....
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,034 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow, that is cool
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well if my flight doesn?t get delayed anymore I will get to see them leave Cheyenne. I am headed to the Bozeman airport now headed to Denver. Renting a car and driving to Cheyenne tonight or in the morning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my oldest son and a buddy of his left out this afternoon, loaded down with film ( slide ) and cameras .
    I hope everyone who goes has a nice day weather wise to enjoy the time
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My uncle , Robert Mcdougald , worked for Atlantic Coast Line and then later for Seaboard. He was the engineer on the last steam passenger train that ACL had in the late 50?s Somewhere I have a picture of him at the controls as the train makes its final approach to the station in Hamlet . Will try to find it and post it soon
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....