In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Planning on buying board games for nursing home. Ideas?

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I am going to buy good quality checkers games. They have to be quality and heavy enough so older hands will not drop them.
I thought about Chess and Monopoly but am not sure.
Does anyone know about what would be good for old folks to do other than the Bingo they already have?
Your good ideas will be stolen and used.
Thanks,
kgn

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    card games, uno,ect. maybe Yatzee, I would try and find some in the biggest print possible. my grampa loved Rook card game till the day he died.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TWISTER!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dominos

Backgammon

Decks of cards and poker chips

Dice

Uno

Mike
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mah jong

Memory

Mike
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Large face regular deck for Rummy'
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd contact the nursing home and ask what they might need more......they may have a lot of items like board games, but be low on blankets and socks.

My mother was taken to the nursing home for rehab by the hospital. When she got there she arrived before her clothes did and when I got there they had mother dressed in some of the rattiest looking clothes I've ever seen. Even the blanket on her bed was one of the scratchy bed spread type blankets that had to be several years old. They have a problem keeping blankets for the residents. They are supposed to bring their own stuff from home, but some don't have anything......and there are quite a few residents that have sticky fingers......so its hard for them to keep decent things on hand for everyone.

When I got there we got mother changed into her nightgown and I brought a couple quilts from my house the next day. We donated mother's clothes to the nursing home when she passed.

Last Christmas they had a lot of requests for socks, snacks and art supplies.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the nursing home have WiFi? Not sure how to work the donation but see many older people some in wheel chairs / walkers looking at their phone so they are probably "rich" (have a plan) but a cellphone will work on WiFi even if it does not have a chip (sim card).

Glanced at what one older guy was doing, he was using a "scrabble" game.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many popular games are available in LARGE size.
    gb92_l_2.jpg

Large-size-chess-board-game-stores-sell.jpg_350x350.jpg
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe an old Trivial Pursuit that pertains to their youth era.