In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's the difference between..

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
? an alligator, and a crocodile? Which is edible?

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The difference between an alligator and crocodile is whether you see him later or after a while. :D

I saw that written on a rock.

QYSL6Oz.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    edited November -1
    I did ask for it,didn't I,,,,,

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one is saltwater, the other is freshwater. I forgot which and it doesn't matter because either one I'm going to run like hell.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always head crocks are more aggressive and have a more pointed snout /mouth teeth sticking out and visible while gators have a more wide rounded snout . what I do know
    I do not want to be in the water or close by at the same time with ether one looking like I am dinner :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have eaten Alligator.

Never had the opportunity to eat crocodile but...why not.

Battered and deep fried, served with a nice molasses-based Bar-B-Q sauce and some tater-salad.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are edible. Alligator is the most commonly farmed and eaten in the US, crocs in Asia. Both are crocodilians, in two sub-families of Crocodilidae.. The Alligatorinae comprised of the alligators (two species, American and Chinese) and their kin, the caiman species. The Crocs are most of the rest, with a couple of odd balls thrown in, the gharial which is in its own family Gharialidae and the false gharial, which is considered to be in sub family Crocodylinae with the crocs, but that is controversial and likely not the final word.

At a glance alligators and crocs are distinguished by the crocs having the fourth lower tooth (a large one) visible when the mouth is closed. There are other differences in anatomy but they can be difficult for those unfamiliar to sort out and differentiate.

Only two are found in the US, the American alligator and the American crocodile, the alligator being largely found in freshwater and the crocodile largely found in brackish water or salt water. That does not hold true for most of the species of crocs.

They don't taste like chicken, they taste like frog legs.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/b]Both are left overs from the age of dinosours....and neither are 'friendly' to humans.

:shock: [/b]
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and "run like hell" would be your biggest mistake. An alligator can hit 40 mph and outrun a horse for a short distance.

When I worked at Kennedy Space Center, alligators were a serious problem. Several lived in or constantly moved into various ponds also frequented by people - with the usual result that idiots would toss them food. The inevitable result when a person ran out of tossable food was that the 'gator would come out of the water to get more - sometimes very fast. When I left, nobody had yet been killed, but not for lack of effort on the part of the 'gators.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    [/b]Both are left overs from the age of dinosours....and neither are 'friendly' to humans.

:shock: [/b]

Actually their lineage predates the dinosaurs. The descendants of the dinosaurs are birds.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They sell alligator at Walmart and local grocery stores here.
    Yep frog legs. Corn or flour batter and a little salt and pepper all that is needed. Don't need to ruin flavor with other accoutrements.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    ...and "run like hell" would be your biggest mistake. An alligator can hit 40 mph and outrun a horse for a short distance.

That's a myth. The most athletic of alligators (in age and size) tops out at about 20 MPH for a very very short distance.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always head crocks are more aggressive and have a more pointed snout /mouth teeth sticking out and visible while gators have a more wide rounded snout . what I do know
    I do not want to be in the water or close by at the same time with ether one looking like I am dinner :shock: :shock:
    Don't you know it, any crock that eats your head is really mean, teeth sticking out or not. :)
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one is saltwater, the other is freshwater. I forgot which and it doesn't matter because either one I'm going to run like hell.

Actually there are BOTH saltwater and freshwater crocodiles. but there's not saltwater alligators

Although they all can survive in either freshwater or saltwater.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky, I think you over estimate the speed of gators, top speed is I believe about 11 mph, though you can find internet estimates ranging widely up to 35 mph. I have out run more than one Nile croc. and a couple of American crocs.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    I've heard of alligator boots belts and bags but never crocodile ones.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr. P croc hides are used to make leather, and a lot of skins of protected crocs have been imported posing as alligator. The dorsal scales on many crocs have osteoderms, bony plates, that make the leather of the back much less desirable. The belly skin and underside of the tail still make nice leather. It is less seen because so many species are threatened or endangered and prohibited from legal trade. Personally I prefer bull hide and Bison for my belts, but shark does make nice if spendy holsters.