In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lil' Gun

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
Why is it that Lil' Gun is recommended for 158gr (and heavier) bullets but not 125 gr in the .357 magnum? I would think that even a near maximum load for the 158 gr would be safe in the 125.

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many powders require a certain amount of back-pressure (slug weight in this case) to burn consistently and provide safe operation. Powders are generally omitted from the recommended load tables because they are either inconsistent in the ballistics they deliver or unsafe in a given combination of case capacity caliber and bullet weight. There are huge numbers of very good .357/125 grain loads available, I would stick to those rather than experiment with a load that "seems like it should work", especially using my own personal body parts in contact with the firearm.
    Just my $.02 worth
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree - stick to book for proven data. Internal ballistics is a very interesting topic. Lots more rifles died with less than half case loads of say H-4831 than they did with a full case.