In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Soldier seen placing flag at Tomb of Unknown Soldier during torrential rain

A severe thunderstorm Thursday failed to stop a sentinel from placing a flag at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. (3d U.S. Infantry Regiment)

Complete story with pix
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a really good documentary on the "Old Guard" sentinels called The Unknowns.

It should be on netflix or other services. Definitely worth watching!!
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of those who have not served, do not care.

Those of us who have, do not need a reminder.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are out there no matter what. If its real cold or raining they will shorten the shift but they are always out there 24/7 365.....

The requirements to be one are tough and very strict, plus they are all volunteers.
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    They are out there no matter what. If its real cold or raining they will shorten the shift but they are always out there 24/7 365.....

The requirements to be one are tough and very strict, plus they are all volunteers.

Much RESPECT, to those who Stand Guard.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of those who have not served, do not care.

Those of us who have, do not need a reminder.

And I do not want people thanking me for my service...I was simply doing my duty.
    Maybe its their way of apologizing for not doing their duty? :o

I would like to thank those whose last acts on this earth were to serve...never to return home.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Vietnam memorial and tomb of unknown soldier are very moveing monuments.

No greater love then laying down your life for others as they did.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highest respect for those troopers. Question though : do they carry live ammo ?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I fully understand the incredible professionalism and dedication these men and women give to the role, the changing of the guard ceremony frankly left me with the feeling that form has overshadowed function. There are many things the US Military does well, but, IMO, staged ceremony is not one of them. It almost always becomes about the process and the perfection of that process, and not about that which the ceremony was originally intended.

The Tomb of the Unknowns should hold a special meaning to us all. One that honors the anonymous sacrifice by so many in our history who are only noted as Missing in Action, with no record of how that ultimate sacrifice was given.

When observing the changing of the guard, I felt I was watching a performance dedicated not to those intombed but rather to those performing. No fault at all of those involved. They have and deserve our respect for what they do.

We can never let the pomp and circumstance of the moment distract from those men interred and the thousands those remains represent.

May all have a meaningful Memorial Day. Take a moment to internalize its meaning, and if you are like me, brush the tears away when you are done.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele