In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chewed Larry out today......but he (kind of) deserved it.

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,698 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Some of you remember we took a stray dog in. She is finally house broken and hasn't chewed up anything she shouldn't in nearly two weeks (knock on wood).....so her final and MOST FRUSTRATING bad habit is darting out the back door whenever she sees the opportunity. The dogs can push the front glass door open and roam around the front yard whenever they want. Its nice, they have a big fenced in area with trees and grass. They bark at whatever passes and have a covered porch to lay on and judge the horses that are across the road.....but to this dog it doesn't compare to running through the tick filled forest, trying to catch frogs in the nasty mud around the pond or rolling in the cow manure in the pasture. It takes several hours to do all her errands when she gets out and you CANNOT catch her until she has checked all of those boxes.

She has an appointment to get fixed Tuesday.....so that is another thing to keep in mind while she is roaming free.

The people that work here have watched me blow my top over this happening enough that they are pretty diligent about not letting her out now......but Larry let it happen today and wanted to act like its not a huge ordeal. IT IS....its SUCH a pain.......and he had to go to work, so its left to me to try and coax her back home, bathe her, and look for ticks.....which she most definitely will have.

Its so easy to NOT let her out......just don't let her near you when you open the door and make sure the door clicks so its latched and she can't push it open. He wants to act like its "her fault".....and we should just hate her for being a curious, energetic dog. When she is a cutie pie, the sweetest of the three dogs we have, just young. If anything she needs us more than other dogs might, so I think a little extra effort is worth it to make sure she is taken care of.

So, off he goes to work and I get to deal with it.......again. I'm getting a harness and keeping it on her next time. She has a collar, but she freaks out when you grab it.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So why don't you get one of those electric boundary fences. You still have to train them not to cross the line, but.... once they know the boundaries, it won't matter. Your dog just needs to be taught the boundaries
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Your dog just needs to be taught the boundaries

The same could be said for some forum members. Regrettably, Gun Broker refused my suggestion that while members are logged onto the forum, they be required to wear administrator activated shock collars.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would hope that the humans around here are smart enough to keep a dog from darting out a door without having to turn to shock therapy. I might put the collar on the ones that let her out instead.....(this might work!)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1

The same could be said for some forum members. Regrettably, Gun Broker refused my suggestion that while members are logged onto the forum, they be required to wear administrator activated shock collars.

You reported me? Do you know where those reports go? They go to me- which in this case is a real time saver. I should have given you warning #5 for the abortion thread you posted a couple of nights ago. I know full well that you were aware that abortion is a banned topic and has been so for over a decade. Never the less, I chose to simply delete it and I let you slide. I can't issue a warning after the fact, but rest assured that I won't look the other way for you again.
  • Options
    edited November -1

You reported me? Do you know where those reports go? They go to me- which in this case is a real time saver. I should have given you warning #5 for the abortion thread you posted a couple of nights ago. I know full well that you were aware that abortion is a banned topic and has been so for over a decade. Never the less, I chose to simply delete it and I let you slide. I can't issue a warning after the fact, but rest assured that I won't look the other way for you again.

I thought you could take a joke, hence the wink in the report. I guess I'll never make that mistake again ;)
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,066 ******
    edited November -1
    Back peddling,, ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would hope that the humans around here are smart enough to keep a dog from darting out a door without having to turn to shock therapy. I might put the collar on the ones that let her out instead.....(this might work!)

I totally agree that dogs should not have a shock collar... that's why I built fences around the house, but there are some people that can't afford fences and has dogs that you can't train to know the boundaries such as my dog, he's a Blue Tick Hound that instincts tell him as soon as he's off the leash he must go chasing raccoons and the like... I think it would be better for them to learn the boundaries through a shock collar which by the way doesn't give a shock to start with only a high-pitch sound the dog does not like along with training a dog what those boundaries are so that they don't get shocked. Then to go run out in the street and get ran over . But that also entails spending time training your dog
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1

Me thinks your fingers might get cramps pushing that button........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think this is just one of those things she will learn like the other rules around here. I'm just surprised at how HARD it has been to "train" the people to be aware of this problem. You would think people who are able to put shoes on the correct feet could keep a dog from going out a door, but I guess I'm wrong there.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think this is just one of those things she will learn like the other rules around here. I'm just surprised at how HARD it has been to "train" the people to be aware of this problem. You would think people who are able to put shoes on the correct feet could keep a dog from going out a door, but I guess I'm wrong there.
    :lol::lol:
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    have Larry deal with the cleanup when she gets out. might change his mind.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know where those reports go? They go to me-

OH dis gon' be funnn :D
  • Options
    castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Having the dog "fixed" will calm it down a bit. And the collar thing isn't a bad idea either. Maybe the inborn nature of your dog is that of a hunter/ pursuit type and it will never change.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey, the next time Larry lets the dog get away, just take him out in the yard, rub his nose in a cornback rattlesnake, and he'll get the message. :lol:;)
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not trying to be rude here. But you keep on coming back to the facts that the dog should be kept inside. To me that is cruel to do to a dog that wants to be outside. That is showing it by bolting every time you open the door. Like I said before you have to give the dog, either by teaching them or putting up a fence of where the boundaries lie or putting in an electronic boundary fence.

Now I understand that some dogs will never learn boundaries. My dog is one of them, he is a Blue Tick Hound that instincts are to take off running and try to find a raccoon to tree. I would never be able to teach him boundaries off of a leash so I put up a fence. Then trust me, and electronic boundary fence would never have worked for him. He would have just endured the shock to get to the other side

Now I know that a fence is not cheap. But nobody said that owning a dog would be cheap... but if you do not spend the time to teach the dog the boundaries, or the dog is incapable of learning them such as a coonhound, it is your responsibility to put up a fence of some sort that will make sure the dog does not cross boundaries. To keep them locked up inside is cruel in my opinion. That's like having a child and never letting them outside in my opinion

Now I know that not everybody can own a dog like what you described. Certain people need dogs of certain personalities. If you you don't want to have a dog with such personalities, have you ever considered giving it to somebody that does want a dog with that personality, and finding a dog that fits more to what you want in a dog?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive. I'm just pointing out the obvious, that your dog's personality and what you want in a dog is not one in the same thing in my opinion
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not trying to be rude here. But you keep on coming back to the facts that the dog should be kept inside. To me that is cruel to do to a dog that wants to be outside. That is showing it by bolting every time you open the door. Like I said before you have to give the dog, either by teaching them or putting up a fence of where the boundaries lie or putting in an electronic boundary fence.

Now I understand that some dogs will never learn boundaries. My dog is one of them, he is a Blue Tick Hound that instincts are to take off running and try to find a raccoon to tree. I would never be able to teach him boundaries off of a leash so I put up a fence. Then trust me, and electronic boundary fence would never have worked for him. He would have just endured the shock to get to the other side

Now I know that a fence is not cheap. But nobody said that owning a dog would be cheap... but if you do not spend the time to teach the dog the boundaries, or the dog is incapable of learning them such as a coonhound, it is your responsibility to put up a fence of some sort that will make sure the dog does not cross boundaries. To keep them locked up inside is cruel in my opinion. That's like having a child and never letting them outside in my opinion

Now I know that not everybody can own a dog like what you described. Certain people need dogs of certain personalities. If you you don't want to have a dog with such personalities, have you ever considered giving it to somebody that does want a dog with that personality, and finding a dog that fits more to what you want in a dog?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive. I'm just pointing out the obvious, that your dog's personality and what you want in a dog is not one in the same thing in my opinion

The dogs can push the front glass door open and roam around the front yard whenever they want. Its nice, they have a big fenced in area with trees and grass. They bark at whatever passes and have a covered porch to lay on and judge the horses that are across the road.

The dogs have an outside area to run. Fenced front yard vs open back yard. I have 2 Treeing Walker Coonhounds that will never be able to walk off a leash in an unfenced area. It's a chore for us trying to keep visitors from holding the back door open so the dogs don't dart out. They have a large fenced area to run and play so exercise is not a problem. Some friends have a St. Barnard that has a shock collar and the barrier. They keep finding him outside the barrier sitting and waiting for the juice to be turned off so he can come back in. Seems he runs thru it in the excitement and the shock happens so quickly it's ineffective. He knows where the border is. He just chooses to ignore it if the distraction is too great. Sounds like Kasey has everything that the dogs need.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The dogs have a HUGE fenced in area with grass, shade, lots of room to run and places to lounge about if they want. If I could come back as one of our dogs I would in a heartbeat. These suckers get 5 treats a day, two meals, trips to the groomer, never missed a trip to the vet. Its insane how nice they have it. We started with a Cocker Spaniel.....she needed a buddy, so we got a Pomeranian.....then I ended up visiting a Golden Retriever breeder's facility (the parents of someone that used to work for me) and HAD to have one. Larry wanted an English Bulldog, so that happened one Christmas. Over time we took in the St Bernard that my daughter got from a rescue. She also had a Bull Terrier that we found a home for because 6 dogs was just too much. We kept the St Bernard outside for a while until I just couldn't stand it and took her to the groomer, shaved her down and let her in too. The cocker spaniel lived to be 14. The Pomeranian was 17 when he passed. Soon after that my Golden died, he was 13. I didn't think I was ever going to get another dog. Losing them is just too hard. They are like toddlers that never grow up in the family. They get SO EXCITED over things, mischievous, sweet, funny, its just a lot of fun to have dogs.....but when they go its a sucker punch for sure.

If I had my pick I think I'd go with another Golden, but that Pomeranian was a lot of fun too......but that Cocker Spaniel was SOOO smart and pretty.....its just too hard to say one was better than the other. The Golden was like having an angel covered in bunny fur in your home though.

We took in the stray though, so this is what we are doing. I'm going to win this battle of the back door!