In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipmygun.com - Reviews, experiences and thoughts

farmplinkerfarmplinker Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
OK. I've read the sticky on shipping firearms. I've read about shipping on other forums. I've visited UPS and FedEx websites, and saw for my own eyes how expensive it is for a non-FFL to ship a handgun. And, yes, I realize many (most?) sellers on the GB auction site are license holders, so they can ship their own handguns USPS.

Having said that, I'm a bit surprised there aren't more threads here about shipmygun.com as an alternative to paying non-FFL shipping fees to UPS and FedEx. The fees seem much more reasonable, but perhaps I'm missing something. I have several handguns and long guns that I want to sell, and would like to know what experiences everyone has had with shipmygun.com's shipping service. Does it work well? Drawbacks? Cost?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have been around for several years, but I have never used them. I just don't see it working well for me, based on logistics. They don't actually ship, they provide a label service. Using their label you have to do the work. You MUST take your gun for shipping to a UPS hub; my closest hub is a 30 minute drive for me, & I often wait in line for another 20-30 minutes. Time is money.

You have to pick a receiving dealer. Many dealers are listed on their website, but most need to be contacted to determine if they are willing to accept your gun. Are they brick-and-mortar, or kitchen table, dealers? I don't know.

My greatest concern is that they don't appear to allow you an option for "adult signature required". I would never ship a gun without that. I have heard too many stories about gun shipments being left on the door step. The website doesn't indicate that UPS is told your package contains a firearm, as required by UPS tariff; if your gun shipment gets into the wrong hands, that could open you to both criminal & financial liability.

Yes, I worry about things that aren't likely to happen. But, I hate prison food.

Neal
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i ship guns for customers they dont have a problem what i get for services :)
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,970 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would rather give my transfer FFL the money than Brown or Fudd EX. I can make my own labels.
  • Options
    farmplinkerfarmplinker Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mac10 wrote:
    i ship guns for customers they dont have a problem what i get for services :)

I plan to check with some local gun stores about shipping. I realize that's how many people do it. I guess I was thinking that it seems odd to go to a store and say "I'm not selling you my gun because you won't pay enough, but I'd like you to ship it for me". But I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for them to ship it for me.

How much do you add onto the actual USPS shipping cost when you ship for customers, and how much does it typically cost for a long gun and handgun?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,970 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can ship long guns yourself via USPS. but only if it goes to an FFL, not directly to the buyer (unless the buyer has a C&R FFL) My FFL charges $20 over shipping cost to ship for me. You may have to shop around a bit to find an FFL who is happy to work with you. Take a look on the gunbroker list of FFLs for one in your area. Most of what I buy is old, not likely to be in stock locally, My FFL figures he is better off to get $20 per from me than have me go elsewhere or get a C&R.
  • Options
    twangeezertwangeezer Member Posts: 1
    Does an FFL have to pay a fee (or anything) to be LISTED on ShipMyGun.com ?
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

Very satisfied customer of Kasey, here.

She and her team do an amazing job!

• Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭
    I second what diver-rig said.   She has sold three batches of items for me.....once I delivered to her (300 miles), another time she came to my house and the third time I met her in Memphis.  She goes above and beyond to work with a person.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭

I am on good terms with my FFL- he will ship for me.

I checked the website & his gunshop is there.

Seems like a good tool. Gunbroker should buy them out.

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    That site is Bud's Guns and they are shipping everything on his FFL.  More than just a tad bit shady.  They are going to get busted one day,  especially if they are shipping handguns USPS. 
  • Options
    Jjohnson780Jjohnson780 Member Posts: 1

I tried to use this service. At the payment submission, the screen recycled and took my money without completing the transaction. Called and told them about it and they told me the pending transaction would fall off in one business day. Tried again. Same thing. Now I’m 124.00 tied up in this and still no shipping label and a customer waiting on a gun. Called back and was told it drops off in 72 hours. I feel like I’ve gotten the old runaround. Will not be trying again!

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭

The shipping of firearms has changed you need a special account now for ups /fedex to ship guns only a FFL can ship guns thru the major ship company's I got one thru ups lot of hoops to jump thru

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, Kasey, Kasey (aka @Locust Fork). With her service you get a 5 star dealer who does all the grunt work for you and will get you top dollar for ANY item. Sold a scope through her. Best decision I made for that transaction. Got top dollar, a face to a name, and a great time at Bass Pro in Memphis as the meet place where we had lunch and shopped.

I'm registered to sell on GB, but it's been years so I don't have recent reviews. Better to have someone who has thousands of transactions and A+ rating.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,707 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you!

I'm actually headed to Memphis again this weekend. I think I head that way three times a year now.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,722 ******
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

First I have heard of them.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, any more thought on upper Midwest trip? I am interested if you do.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,707 ✭✭✭✭

We would love to plan a trip....if enough people are in I'll head that way! Right now I'm working with a few surrounding states, but I'll head any direction. At the time we planned on going we had two seperate collections that were the larger reasons we were planning the trip. Both dropped out of the plans due to health reasons and I haven't heard back yet. There were about a dozen people who were going to take advantage of those plans. Without the larger collections the trip didn't make financial sense to do.....but that could change!

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,722 ******

I have 10 or 12 for you when you get near SW Virginia, Kasey.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭

"Yes, I worry about things that aren't likely to happen. But, I hate prison food.

Neal

Neal, you know what prison food taste like? That's a story we need to hear. 😉

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    THunt3121THunt3121 Member Posts: 1

I have used them before. The cost is very reasonable, and it does work. The only drawback is, if you ship to an FFL that isn't on their pre-approved list it's slow because you have to send them the FFL's license and then wait for them to approve it. This can take three or four days. And, you have to keep calling them to follow up. It's really annoying. So, if you can put up with that then it works fine. Some gun stores charge outrageous prices to ship. I think they resent you not doing business directly with them. But, you have no choice because they give you so little money to buy your gun.