In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recreational Weed now legal in Illinois

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
https://www.apnews.com/7b793d88f3c84417b83db0f770854960

Illinois becomes 11th state to allow recreational marijuana
By JOHN O'CONNO

"SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) ? Illinois? new governor delivered on a top campaign promise Tuesday by signing legislation making the state the 11th to approve marijuana for recreational use in a program offering legal remedies and economic benefits to minorities whose lives critics say were damaged by a wayward war on drugs.

Legalization in Illinois also means that nearly 800,000 people with criminal records for purchasing or possessing 30 grams of marijuana or less may have those records expunged, a provision minority lawmakers and interest groups demanded. It also gives cannabis-vendor preference to minority owners and promises 25% of tax revenue from marijuana sales to redevelop impoverished communities.

Gov. J.B. Pritzker, whose election last year gave Democrats complete control over state government again after four years under GOP predecessor Bruce Rauner, signed the bill in Chicago amid a bevy of pot proponents, including the plan?s lead sponsors, Rep. Kelly Cassidy and Sen. Heather Steans, both Chicago Democrats.

?Today, we?re hitting the ?reset? button on the war on drugs,? Cassidy said.

Residents may purchase and possess up to 1 ounce (30 grams) of marijuana at a time. Non-residents may have 15 grams. The law provides for cannabis purchases by adults 21 and older at approved dispensaries, which, after they?re licensed and established, may start selling Jan. 1, 2020. Possession remains a crime until Jan. 1, a spokesman for Senate Democrats said.

?The war on cannabis has destroyed families, filled prisons with nonviolent offenders, and disproportionately disrupted black and brown communities,? Pritzker said. ?Law enforcement across the nation has spent billions of dollars to enforce the criminalization of cannabis, yet its consumption remains widespread.?

On the campaign trail, Pritzker claimed that, once established, taxation of marijuana could generate $800 million to $1 billion a year. He said dispensary licensing would bring in $170 million in the coming year alone. But Cassidy and Steans have dampened that prediction, lowering estimates to $58 million in the first year and $500 million annually within five years.

Carrying the psychoactive ingredient THC, marijuana was effectively outlawed in the U.S. in 1937 and in the 1970s was declared a drug with no medicinal purpose and high potential for abuse.

Blacks have been most susceptible since then to ?Just say ?No?-era crackdowns. Pritzker quoted a 2010 statistic from the American Civil Liberties Union that while blacks comprise 15% of Illinois? population, they account for 60% of cannabis-possession arrests.

eoria Democratic Rep. Jehan Gordon-Booth summarized marijuana?s recent history as one where ?white men would get rich and black men would get arrested.? The plan addresses those concerns with the criminal-record scrubbing by giving preference to would-be marijuana vendors in areas of high poverty and records of large numbers of convictions. And 25% of tax proceeds must be reinvested in impoverished communities, while 20% is dedicated to substance-abuse treatment programs.

?What we are doing here is about reparations,? Gordon-Booth said. ?After 40 years of treating entire communities like criminals, here comes this multibillion-dollar industry, and guess what? Black and brown people have been put at the very center of this policy in a way that no other state has ever done.?

Police organizations are wary, concerned about enforcing driving under the influence laws and arguing technology for testing marijuana impairment needs more development. Law enforcement organizations fearing black-market impacts were successful in killing an earlier provision that would have allowed anyone to grow up to five marijuana plants at home for personal use. Police said they?d have difficulty enforcing that, so the bill was amended to allow five plants to be maintained only by authorized patients under the state?s medical marijuana law. They previously could not grow their own.

Ten other states and the District of Columbia have legalized smoking or eating marijuana for recreational use since 2012, when voters in Colorado and Washington state approved ballot initiatives. This year began with promising proposals in New York and New Jersey , but both fizzled late this spring. Despite a statewide listening tour on the issue by Pennsylvania?s lieutenant governor last winter, the idea never took flight.

Vermont and Michigan last year were the latest states to legalize marijuana. Vermont did so through the Legislature ? the first time it wasn?t done through a ballot initiative ? but while it allows residents to grow small amounts for themselves, it didn?t establish a statewide distribution system like Illinois did, licensing dispensaries. Other states license dispensaries too, but not all.

Illinois? 55 medical-cannabis dispensaries get first crack at licenses to sell under the new law because they?re proven business concerns, Cassidy said. They may apply to dispense recreational pot at their current stores and for a license for a second location, meaning the state could have 110 recreational pot outlets by the time sales start Jan. 1. In October, the application period for 75 more dispensaries opens. No more would be allowed to open after that until the state conducts a review of the rollout."

Comments

• Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [puts on tin foil hat]
    Think about it. Make grass legal in Illinois. Gun owners will relax and smoke a bit. Gun owners will lie on 4473. Gun owners will become federally prohibited persons. Liberals will grin.
    [takes off tin foil hat]

I know, it?s a stretch...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be it by booze or herbs it's all the same.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ahh yes give the populace their soma and they wont care they are gitting %^&*() :twisted: :lol:
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Just so everyone knows, the same day the Governor of IL signed this into law, a Convicted FELON who has been to prison for Marijuana shot and killed a Deputy Sheriff in Fulton County, IL.

But people who use weed don't commit violent crimes

Anyone else see the irony here?
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    76k20 wrote:
    Just so everyone knows, the same day the Governor of IL signed this into law, a Convicted FELON who has been to prison multiple times for Marijuana shot and killed a Deputy Sheriff in Fulton County, IL.

But people who use weed don't commit violent crimes

Anyone else see the irony here?

You mean the irony in that one specific example, or the irony in that specific example not portraying the actions of everyone that does smoke weed? Sure, I can see the irony there, just not the irony you're trying to point at. The same irony can be found when condemning anyone and everyone that owns a firearm when one idiot does something stupid with one.

Matter of fact, I would expect that violent crimes are committed by people under no drug influence, perhaps including those that are mentally unstable, on a scale exponentially larger than those actually on any drug, including weed.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The title to the post is a little misleading, as the law does not take effect until January 1, 2020. The state still has to sort out some issues with production and distribution, among other things.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As far as legalizing weed is concerned, it should happen nationwide, as far as I'm concerned, and should've never been illegal to begin with. Take that as you will, and try not to take it in any other context than how it was written, verbatim. In the same way people play stupid games while drunk, and suffer the consequences, if you do something stupid while high, expect to suffer the same. If I have a few drinks in the sanctity of my own home, I have nothing to fear, and I can get just as damn blackout drunk as I see fit. I see no reason why I shouldn't be granted the same freedom in the same environment to fire up a bowl, listen to some Hendrix, and not worry about becoming a felon simply for feeling good for an hour or two. :roll:
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Illinois and Chicago the poster child for crazy things to come.

Reefer madnes gone wild.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Reefer Madness was propaganda, not a documentary. :roll:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another fun fact of this law passing, some of the people who proudly supported and voted for the politicians that promised to make weed legal are now quite upset at what they got. Why? Because they wanted weed legal, and this change in the law is basically a decriminalization. Pretty close to the same results, but not the same thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    76k20 wrote:
    Another fun fact of this law passing, some of the people who proudly supported and voted for the politicians that promised to make weed legal are now quite upset at what they got. Why? Because they wanted weed legal, and this change in the law is basically a decriminalization. Pretty close to the same results, but not the same thing.

Not the same, because it's still illegal on the federal level, and it'll be a long time, if ever, that it's 100% legal there.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That craphole of a State has enough problems..this will not fix any of them.. Glad I got out of there...
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:
    As far as legalizing weed is concerned, it should happen nationwide, as far as I'm concerned, and should've never been illegal to begin with. Take that as you will, and try not to take it in any other context than how it was written, verbatim. In the same way people play stupid games while drunk, and suffer the consequences, if you do something stupid while high, expect to suffer the same. If I have a few drinks in the sanctity of my own home, I have nothing to fear, and I can get just as damn blackout drunk as I see fit. I see no reason why I shouldn't be granted the same freedom in the same environment to fire up a bowl, listen to some Hendrix, and not worry about becoming a felon simply for feeling good for an hour or two. :roll:
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!! My opinion? There's a reason they call it dope, but the flip side is no damn cop needs to be putting his jackboot on my neck should I choose to indulge.YMMV
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all in the plans of the liberal progressives to keep the general population drugged and stupified so they can rule without opposition.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IL has an FOID card system. Using MJ makes one a federally prohibited person. Being run by anti-gun legislators at some point there will be a collision of the two. In CA I've seen idiots walk into the LGS and use (at the time) their MMJ card as "2nd form of ID" - they were sent away.

BTW ...

?What we are doing here is about reparations,? Gordon-Booth said. ?After 40 years of treating entire communities like criminals, here comes this multibillion-dollar industry, and guess what? Black and brown people have been put at the very center of this policy in a way that no other state has ever done.?

Good luck with that. The hair industry for weaves and extensions, straighteners, etc consists almost entirely of Black customers. And it's controlled by Asians and Whites.

Maybe Illinois can legalize prostitution under the same "reparations" theory.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't wait to see what the body count in Chitcago becomes.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A sign of the times when even fascist states are legalizing the ganja.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    J.B. Fattster has taxed everything possible even higher than before come July 1 ,,,it is just another tax to support the pigs agenda of cradle to grave support of the people who have never worked in this state for life. And now the "sanctuary state" will become Illinois, home of the state to be from.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Illinois is the state I AM from. Born there in '47 and left in '69. Have not and will not ever go back.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As if the population needed government "okay" to do anything illegal before.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a person with perpetual and severe back issues, I have been on very strong opiates since '94. Now, with all the people using it (and OD'ing), they have steadily reduced my meds over the past year or so. I am at the point where I can pretty much only go to work, go home, and lay down. Anything much beyond that, and I have a flare up. Here in OK they passed medical pot bill last year. I can honestly say I have never used pot (though could have gotten 2nd hand during concerts). I was keen to try it as my late brother swore by it during his last few years. However, I will not try it until it is removed from the Federal level. I like my freedom and firearms too much to jeopardize it. I personally think they should decriminalize it at the federal level. Now, here in OK, they are now fighting to decide whether it should be a testable drug for employment screening and such. I think if it does become federally legal, then it should no longer be tested for.

Back to Illinois, perhaps now everyone in Chitcago will be so relaxed no one will need to shoot anyone else. ;)
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It should be legal nationwide. I have two friends who have been smoking pot in Georgia every day since 1970. Back then possession of a joint was a felony. They never got caught, and they always had all the pot they wanted. The war on pot is an utter failure, but, locking people up for having or growing pot has ruined the lives of many people.

I myself smoked some back in my mis spent youth and it didn't harm me much, it did drop my IQ a few points I am down to 148.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it did drop my IQ a few points I am down to 148.

From 72.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    It's all in the plans of the liberal progressives to keep the general population drugged and stupefied so they can rule without opposition.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

More truth in that statement than you might think. Keep the country smoked up and they?ll not feel like working. They?ll be more lemming-like. Easier to control and less likely to protest.

But as I?ve said several times before - I?m all for legalization for those of retirement age...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -