In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Camaro phased out..again..

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    ProceramicProceramic Member Posts: 334
    edited November -1
    Waiting for another bailout before resuming production.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:

highly unlikely. GM has went electric in the future.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If GM goes electric will they get the same fat deal Tesla gets from Uncle Sam? If they do it will the same as a bailout only this time the stock holders may actually not get screwed too bad.
    RLTW

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,431 ******
    edited November -1
    SUV's and light trucks are the future. Everything made by all manufacturer's look alike. Those VERY few performance cars will be priced so high, only the politicians will be able to afford them.

IMHO, all of the Mustangs, Camaro's, Chargers, et el etc. made after the 1970's are just wanna be's anyway!
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:

IMHO, all of the Mustangs, Camaro's, Chargers, et el etc. made after the 1970's are just wanna be's anyway!

Yeah right! They'd all like to be like the 2018 Dodge Demon at 9.65 in the quarter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:

Yeah right! They'd all like to be like the 2018 Dodge Demon at 9.65 in the quarter.

Exactly :D
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    SUV's and light trucks are the future. Everything made by all manufacturer's look alike. Those VERY few performance cars will be priced so high, only the politicians will be able to afford them.

I grew up with the muscle cars of the 70s and have a lot of respect for them. Nothing beats the sound and fury generated by the Big 3 muscle cars of that era. IMOP two things can be attributed to their downfall. First the oil crisis in the late seventies made cars with better MPG more desirable. Second Was BUICK. With the development of the Grand National and culminating with the GNX they proved bigger isn't always badder. That little 3.8 v6 turbo would blow the doors off of most if not all big v8s of the 70s and 80s. Technology had arrived and clobbered cubic inches. Todays muscle cars wouldn't function without the extension of the technology introduced from that old mans car brand. Bob
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Brookwood wrote:

Exactly :D

There are a number of the newer "Muscle Cars," that not only have the "Muscle," but much better handlng/susension/brakes, than anything we had in the 60's and 70's. Wanna run your 60s -70's "Muscle Car," up against a Hell Cat? Probably would not fare too well, especially in anything beyond the straight quarter mile. (You know, with Curves and such.)

(Built 67' GTO - here, amongst others.)

Your view may differ.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just me but sticker shock of a top end model ( most horsepower ) and insurance for most younger buyers never sells cars
    granted a v6 has more HP than most v8's in the 80"s even 90"s ,
    the company's need to build a high HP car and dont charge 10x the build cost get the cars out there
    remember stripped down models with heater, and radio delete options :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Second Generation Muscle. I have lived thru both generations. First Generation doesn't hold a candle to the outright power the new generation has. Let alone the fuel mileage they make. I do believe the 2nd generation will phase out just like the 1st . It came and went but boy howdy was it fun.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,167 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the '00s don't know if I would've fit but I did like the body styling. Oh I saw they brought back the "Blazer". Now what they need to bring back is a rear wheel driven land yacht with a big * engine.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 2018 Dodge Challenger outsold Camaro by over 30%.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just sold a couple of Intimidator Camaros . Done well.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Did they have Dale Earnhardt stickers on them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:

Matter of Fact they did... Both had the original GM Window Stickers still on attached.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:

Matter of Fact they did... Both had the original GM Window Stickers still on attached.

Nice! Where they commemorative cars? If so I bet they brought pretty decent money.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:

Most likely.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:
    Proceramic wrote:

Nice! Where they commemorative cars? If so I bet they brought pretty decent money.

Correct
  • Options
    tcattttcattt Member Posts: 41
    edited November -1
    I raced cars in the 70s.
    Had a 68 z28
    Had a 66 Mustang
    Buddies had everything you can imagine, I have worked on many of them.

I am NOSTALGIA about the old muscle cars, BUT

AS stock, the new cars would smoke any of the 60s, 70s cars provided the driver could do his part.

Are you kidding, the Corvette ZR1 produces 755 HP and over 700 Ft/lbs Torque with transmission and suspension control.
    Not to mention the Camaro ZL1, the Mustangs and Shelbys with the 5.0 engine variants, and all that Dodge has out, It would be a blood bath against the 60s and 70s cars.

When you raced those 50s, 60s, and 70s cars you had to DRIVE THEM. Ever been in a 70s car racing and tried to stop :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hard to believe GM is gonna keep Camaro around till 2023.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Might be the time to purchase that 2014 Z28 I can get a deal on. 8-)
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:

two things can be attributed to their downfall. First the oil crisis in the late seventies made cars with better MPG more desirable. Second Was BUICK. With the development of the Grand National and culminating with the GNX they proved bigger isn't always badder. That little 3.8 v6 turbo would blow the doors off of most if not all big v8s of the 70s and 80s. Technology had arrived and clobbered cubic inches. Todays muscle cars wouldn't function without the extension of the technology introduced from that old mans car brand. Bob

Wow, another GB member familiar with the 'fortunate 547'. I have a 83 Hurst/Olds and while it is much slower than the GN, I bought it ~10 years ago to be a daily driver. When I picked it up, it was too nice so I ended up driving my wrecked car for 2 more years so that I could get another vehicle for daily driving. If I had known I was buying a weekend car, I would have gotten the GN. I have thought a lot about thinning out my firearm herd and investing in a GNX. While the GN is steadily getting more expensive, the GNX has went up exponentially and is in the price realm of a lot of starter houses now.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:

two things can be attributed to their downfall. First the oil crisis in the late seventies made cars with better MPG more desirable. Second Was BUICK. With the development of the Grand National and culminating with the GNX they proved bigger isn't always badder. That little 3.8 v6 turbo would blow the doors off of most if not all big v8s of the 70s and 80s. Technology had arrived and clobbered cubic inches. Todays muscle cars wouldn't function without the extension of the technology introduced from that old mans car brand. Bob

Wow, another GB member familiar with the 'fortunate 547'. I have a 83 Hurst/Olds and while it is much slower than the GN, I bought it ~10 years ago to be a daily driver. When I picked it up, it was too nice so I ended up driving my wrecked car for 2 more years so that I could get another vehicle for daily driving. If I had known I was buying a weekend car, I would have gotten the GN. I have thought a lot about thinning out my firearm herd and investing in a GNX. While the GN is steadily getting more expensive, the GNX has went up exponentially and is in the price realm of a lot of starter houses now.

Yeah one of the 547 would be a find. The prices have become crazy in the last 10 years. I grew up in Buick town and have a bit of experience with the Grand Nationals but never had any hands on with the GNX. Most dealers never got one either and those that did could ask any price they wanted.

Technology has really come far since the last of the GNs were made. Their 3.8 with intercooled turbo was conservatively rated at 276 HP. My 2019 Acadia with a naturally aspirated 3.6 is rated at 310 HP. Bob
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BobJudy, I've ridden in several GN's and a WE4, and a one GNX, but never owned any. One really, really weird thing about the GNX is that rear end setup. When the driver power braked it, the car moved unlike any I had ever seen, feeling like the back lifted up instead of sinking down. The GN's last I looked are running in the $18-25k range but the GNX are $90k and way up from there. With my bad luck of people running into me, I'd almost be afraid to drive a GNX if I had one.
    I bought my 83 H/O with ~24k miles and it is up to ~33k now. I do wish I would have gotten one with out T-Tops though. They are fashionable, but I just don't really like the sun beating down on me.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:
    BobJudy wrote:

Yeah one of the 547 would be a find. The prices have become crazy in the last 10 years. I grew up in Buick town and have a bit of experience with the Grand Nationals but never had any hands on with the GNX. Most dealers never got one either and those that did could ask any price they wanted.

Technology has really come far since the last of the GNs were made. Their 3.8 with intercooled turbo was conservatively rated at 276 HP. My 2019 Acadia with a naturally aspirated 3.6 is rated at 310 HP. Bob
    During that era of GN '82-87 our local police department (Louisville) had about a half dozen of them in service (used them for traffic)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My 08 Pontiac GXP Solstice is rated at 290 HP GM tune with a 2.0 Liter Turbo.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?m glad to see you?re not afraid to put the Ol? Pontiac Solstice on the dyno.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Warbirds wrote:
    I?m glad to see you?re not afraid to put the Ol? Pontiac Solstice on the dyno.

It has never been on a dyno. Factory rated 260 then the GM dealership tune ups it to 290. Car was a not needed purchase but with only 8400 miles , and a one owner ( Police Officer ) and everything up to date, Battery, belts , hoses, fluids, wipers, tires. I decided to purchase. It drives like a go kart.