In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scopes are getting hard to use,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,064 ******
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
Been having trouble seeing through scopes anymore. The same scopes I've used for several years. When I have scope at low power I can see perfectly. When I kick up the power to bring in the target,I get the blurr,swirling black out,ect.,and miss the target. It's with all our scopes. Have you experienced similar ?

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    It's with all our scopes. Have you experienced similar ?

I have not used your scopes. Don
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    could be old age, I had to go to reddot/holographic sights. just can't see the crosshairs and open sights anymore........
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reset the focus, check eye relief, etc.

Your eyes are changing, as well as how you hold your body, etc. which will affect those things.

Also, depending on what kind of shooting you do, you may consider a scope with adjustable objective or a side focus wheel. With mine (all 20x or 32x top end, rarely shoot lower when using them) I've noticed that even if I shot last week and the AO looked perfect then, that it may need tweaking today as light conditions change, how I'm positioning my body, etc.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you're looking in the wrong end?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I noticed the same thing. Try using your reading glasses next time you shoot.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    I noticed the same thing. Try using your reading glasses next time you shoot.

Yep and turn the eye relief left and things will get clearer.
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    A couple of things that affect my scope vision that may be helpful. Dry eye changes how you see, I take meds that dry out my eyes. I'm sure your optometrist can recommend some drops.
    For me the more light the better, you can tune your scope for the most *usable* light. What I mean by usable light is your Iris opens a certain diameter. You can adjust your scope to focus all the available light through your scope to the diameter of your Iris. For most people, it is around 7mm, though it can change some person to person. For some people it is smaller, it is seldom larger than 7mm. What you said about lower magnifications working better for you sounds like this may be your issue or a part of your issue.

Exit-Pupil-Diameters.png

I was having trouble switching from my binoculars to my scope when hog hunting, low light. I could see things with my Bino's I couldn't make out with my scope.
    My Binos are fixed 9X63, my scope is a variable 4X12X56 I found comparing my Bino's to my scope I could actually see better if I lowered the magnifications to 8X for maximum light to my 7 mm Iris.

Your issue might be something else, eye moistening drops may also help, dry eyes can blur your vision.