In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

carpentry problem

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
I'm putting in a new door. right next to it is a section of plaster & lathe that got busted out.

the plaster is 5/8" thick, so I would cut it out square and put a 5/8" board in there and fill the rest with drywall mud, but my big problem is painting it when done. there is a very rough texture I don't know how to duplicate. almost like they ground up a bunch of sponges and mixed it with the paint.

what can I do about this?

door-3.jpg

door-4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would a small piece of hardi backer used under tile work?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that wouldn't work.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Home Depot has an oil based orange peel spray on texture that might work. Bob
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple suggestions.
    1) Repair it with Type S masons mortar. That may leave a coarse enough texture to match what you have pretty close.
    2) Do the repair with sheetrock and sheetrock mud. After it dries try rolling on a mixture of thinned out sheetrock mud and very coarse sand. Try to embed some of the fiber sheetrock tape to span between the existing plaster and the sheetrock mud to help keep that joint from cracking.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cut damaged area out straight line and replace with sheetrock backer, tape and mud joints then spray texture the whole wall from corner to corner....to get a close match to existing walls, you may have to knock the high points down (sweep) with a broom before the texture dries. Most likely if spot patching the "patching" will probably always standout, that's why corner to corner spraying of the whole wall is done ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:
    Home Depot has an oil based orange peel spray on texture that might work. Bob

Bingo.. I have done a lot of patch work from rentals. The spray will duplicate . Patience is the key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waPlWFIA4J0
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plaster wall patch. I used to buy it in a bag and mix it. Do not use plaster of paris, it's way to much effort to get it right,

The plaster patch practically smooths out right with a trowel, finishing with a good wide trowel helps. You may have a to use a rough drywall sander to level out a few places. Then just prime and paint. Taper your edges on the old plaster instead of leaving them blunt, usually not an issue as plaster just naturally tears out that way anyhow. You can do this with anything, they do not have to be strait edges, the new plaster will fill in everything.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going to try to fill it with that Type S mortar. (or the plaster wall patch) I suspect that's what they mixed in the paint given the lumpy, uneven particle size.

thanks fellas
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of those idea's sound better than the 1/2 stick of Dupont I was going to go with.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******
    edited November -1
    I've used the spray can texture stuff before with real good results.