In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting a Short in a Rifle

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,260 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
My brother has an old .22 Mossberg, bolt action with a tubular magazine and scope. Really nice rifle he bought it in 1965, back in the good old days when a 14 year old kid could walk in to a sporting goods store and buy a rifle no questions asked.

Anyway he wants to shoot the rifle with his grandchildren. Can you shoot .22 short in this rifle?

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will say so on the barrel.

What model is it?
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    I told him it would probably say so on the barrel. The gun is over at his house I might get a look at it today.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will shoot them even if you have to manually load it. My old 513T shot CB caps or shorts if you wanted less noise.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will ONLY say so on the barrel IF it was designed to feed LR, L, Shorts.
    All .22 lr guns will shoot any shorter than the LR shell.
    It may not feed them well, but will shoot them.

Clean the chamber well before using the longer shells.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My brother told me it says on the barrel "MODLL," not "MODEL" but "MODLL" weird, maybe a typo on the barrel?
    But it says "MODLL M-6-B" and it says ".22 S-LR"
    It is a big long rifle nice weight to it. He told me, as he recalls, it will hold 17 LR. So it ought to hold about 30 shorts.
    But, y'all are saying it might not feed the shorts. Seems like you could get some lead fouling on the front of the chamber.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting Shorts in a classic .22 S, L, LR rifle is kind of a stunt these days.
    Shorts are much less common in stores and not less expensive than Long Rifle.
    LR standard velocity will be very quiet out of that long barrel... but he and the kids still need ear protection, and eye protection.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse wrote:
    Shooting Shorts in a classic .22 S, L, LR rifle is kind of a stunt these days.
    Shorts are much less common in stores and not less expensive than Long Rifle.
    LR standard velocity will be very quiet out of that long barrel... but he and the kids still need ear protection, and eye protection.

+1

I really like Subsonic 22lr. They shoot great, kill squirrels and are quiet. I shoot them without ear protection but then I am a dumba$$ :lol:
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Own an Marlin 81DL. (From my Dad's collection.) Took me 5+ years of checking in to Numrich to locate the needed magazine lifter parts needed. (Tube fed.)

Marked S-L-LR. it will not feed the .22 shorts. (No matter how much tweaking by a gunsmith.) Fed individually, no problem.

I have about 1K .22 shorts.

Good to dispatch a myriad of varmints.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will shoot them for sure. The question is whether they will properly feed from the mag tube to the chamber. There is long rifle length ammo these days that is very quiet and should feed just fine.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like others have said, fed individually it will shoot them just fine. The real question is there a reason you want to shoot shorts? If you have a supply like KenK mentioned, then I could see. Other than that, you can get the same noise level, same (or less) cost, and would most likely be more reliable just shooting .22lr. Recoil would also be negligible no matter what .22lr you choose, and even less recoil shooting subsonic.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My brother, to be honest, doesn't know too much about guns. These grandkids are some real wild apes, boys age 14 and 10, and girl age 11.
    We live on top of the mountain in the wilderness.

These kids have never fired a gun before, have never seen a real gun before, have fired a bb gun quite a bit.
    My brother is afraid one of these yard-apes might point the gun at the sky and just pull the trigger, and the bullet fall to earth and hurt somebody. I told him, the short is not much safer than the LR, but this is what he wants to do.

Here is the satellite photo of my brother's place, the log cabin with the green roof and the barn with green roof. Dark blue pickup in the drive way. Zoom out, and you can see how far out in the woods his place is.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7852768,-82.7211285,188m/data=!3m1!1e3
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, get him some Shorts and turn the little twerps loose. It sounds like everybody would be better off if the rifle would NOT feed Shorts from the magazine and had to single load.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he should be close enough to keep the yard apes from shooting in the air, if not doesn't sound like any of them need to be handling a gun, kids or him.......
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer a Mortar, in order to shoot "Short," people from.

It gets them far enough away, that it is difficult for them to find their way back. :o:D :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    I have a Mossberg B/A 22, I forget what mod#. It is a S,L,LR on the barrel. I don't think I've ever tried to load it with shorts. I have found out it doesn't like to be loaded to the max amount. There's a spring down in there that lets out one round at a time. It looks more like clip. When mine gets a lot of magazine pressure, it seems to just give up and lets 22 rounds spray out of the chamber. So one recommendation from my experience is 10 rounds at a time. I would also suggest you try CCI's CB Long. I believe the case is a true long not long rifle. But they're quiet. My trigger makes more sound than the round going off.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi there! I'm addicted TO OLDER Mossberg 22s. IF the rifle in question is a Model M slide action, yes, it will handle shorts- and it will hold 20 of them. Here are the Letter model Mossberg 22s. There IS significant collector's interest in these. Made 1928-1931.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6069409
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, you .22 gear heads here it is:

lvLjvkIl.jpg

0U1N2qkl.jpg
    I always thought this bolt handle looked cool.

MEOxMnJl.jpg
    He got the model number wrong. It actually says "MODLL 1 4 6 B"
    Why does it say "MODLL" and not "MODEL."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MODLL
    Broken roll mark stamp didn't get noticed until at least one rifle was completed.
  • Options
    castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Your 146B likely has an adjustable trigger in case you feel the need. Was talking with a M-berg collector at a gunshow about mine and was advised of this.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It says 22 S-LR, it will shoot them all, and the action should work with all three as well. My 22 from 1960 still does.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a faint E

I love my moss berg 22. It?s an old army trainer
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.