In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

diabetes drug appears to stop cancer

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
this makes sense. the diabetes drug stops or slows down the formation of glucose in the liver, and one part of regular cancer treatment is to restrict sugary foods along with carbohydrates which are turned into sugar, which cancer cells feed off of. you eat only proetins and reduced fat.

different types of cancer are different, and react differently to different treatments, but reducing sugar is good across the board. this is probably a good idea.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7298799/Could-cheap-drugs-century-old-new-way-tackle-cancer.html

Comments

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's really good news. I've been on Metformin since 2011 when I was diagnosed with diabetes. My daily glucose level has been running in the 80's and 90's lately. It's good to know that there are other benefits from it. :D
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read Dr. Jason Fung's book, THE OBESITY CODE. Explains much about carbs.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bubba Jr. wrote:
    That's really good news. I've been on Metformin since 2011 when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

My wife had been on it since she was diagnosed and finally decided she had enough of it, and the other things that go along with diabetes. She made up her mind (once she is determined, it will happen :) ) to try to get off the medication. After a year solid of really watching her diet as well as losing some weight, she was reduced back to 'pre-diabetes' and could go off her medication.
    She has been a yo-yo dieter our whole marriage (~29 years). I think that likely has caused issues, but I hope she is able to stick with it. So, there is hope Bubba Jr.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Metformin didn't prevent my stage IV GI tract cancer - or the brain tumor...

Cancer however did cure obesity and diabetes - at least in my case.

Platinum based chemotherapy and targeted radiation treatments combined with the cancer to be great weight loss plans...

Proof that you can cure diabetes - as I no longer have it and no longer take metformin.

Possible a specific narrow use targeted diabetes med has caused a reduction in certain specific cancers - but I have yet to meet one person who saw such a benefit - and I seriously doubt metformin or insulin help prevent or fight or cure any cancer.

And I would gladly take back the diabetes in exchange for the permanent intractable crippling side effects left over from illness and treatments.

But that's just me. IMHO. YMMV. Lmnop.

Mike