In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The most beautiful Automobile

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQG7GHTHDE
I have been lucky enough to have seen a couple of Bugattis in the flesh and they are truly magnificent machines. This one is made from magnesium which cost $3000.00 for each 4x8 sheet and they used 13 sheets.That is just for raw material which is said to be almost impossible to work. The damn stuff has a kindling temp. of 800 degrees. They say 1100 in the video but some research shows 800.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will admit Jay L. is a true idol of mine his collection and knowledge of the cars and related is amazing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And the guy never had an agent. He negotiated his own contracts and didn't have to pay anyone.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like Oil Can Harry's car in cartoons from the old days.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQG7GHTHDE
    I have been lucky enough to have seen a couple of Bugattis in the flesh and they are truly magnificent machines. This one is made from magnesium which cost $3000.00 for each 4x8 sheet and they used 13 sheets.That is just for raw material which is said to be almost impossible to work. The damn stuff has a kindling temp. of 800 degrees. They say 1100 in the video but some research shows 800.

Actually he says it catches fire at 1100 degrees but becomes malleable at 800 degrees.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From what I read kindling temp is 800.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose it depends on content and other variances. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03397342

Do you watch Restoration Garage (The Guild)? They build some beautiful stuff, the owners must make a killing.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not the first to say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I would call it unique and more of an art object, but as an automobile, simply not practical . Perhaps that was Bugatti's intent.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    I suppose it depends on content and other variances. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03397342

Do you watch Restoration Garage (The Guild)? They build some beautiful stuff, the owners must make a killing.

I use to watch his show ( not sure if still on ) they do some amazing work of course the cost always floored me when the bill came due " well mr --- here is the 35 pages of shop time man hours in repairs and 20 pages of parts and grand total of 2000 k for your 78 pinto :D of course I exaggerated the car .
    but great work is not not cheap as we all know but shops high end and quality they put out well out of my working class funding :shock: range
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks like a beetle bug with a hard on :oops:
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The design is not to my taste.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful indeed, and made of Magnesium. The same metal used in the Hindenburg Air Ship.. Jay mentioned the engine had no head gasket. Always the weakest part of an engine... Another Famous racing engine had no head gasket.. The famous Meyer Drake Offenhauser of lndy Racing.. ;)
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fatcat458 wrote:
    Beautiful indeed, and made of Magnesium. The same metal used in the Hindenburg Air Ship..
    Not to mention the 'mag wheels' came from the fact that they used to be magnesium. A person would have a blow out, instinctively hit the brakes. Of course with less traction, that wheel locks up and becomes a large fire starter. My sister lost an old Cutlass this way.

I've always thought Bugatti, especially the ~20's/30's era were neat cars. Of course the new Veyron (sp) is incredible too. I will never afford to buy anything with that name on it, even a motorcycle.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To each their own. I will pass on that one. Testarossa is more to my taste, as was XKE and MGA.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recommend watching the video. No one knows exactly what happened to the original car. This car was made from "scratch" by someone with "big bucks" and only had "photos" of the original cars. Plus some technical data about the original car. This might be the most expensive "restoration" ever.

More history of this 1934 Bugatti A?rolithe, the original car 'disappeared', probably used for parts? This Bugatti was dropped by a forklift when loading/unloading the transport plane to a show. Easy to fix if you've got to the bucks.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/a28538878/bugatti-aerolithe-concept-replica/
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a beautiful car. Only thing missing is a Henderson Streamline sitting next to it.
    8-)

ej45txrvb6l11.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jay Leno is such a cool guy. I really like how he actually drives his cars.

That said, I don't care how expensive, how cool or how rare a car is...there is absolutely NO WAY you would get me inside a car, in 100 degree heat, with no ventilation, no windows open and no air moving. That would just NOT happen! I was sweating just watching them drive that thing! No way!!
    The car was obviously made to hang on the wall of someone who appreciates "art".