In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

re: gilroy shooting et al

llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
I'm wondering....

Has anyone looked at one of these "mass" shootings and figured out just how many laws the scum broke other than the obvious murder/attempted murder/assault w/ deadly weapon stuff? Specifically gun control laws, local state or federal and whether the crime is misdemeanor or felony.

Reason I'm wondering is I see on my facebook feed people screaming for "more gun control" and "the nra is the devil" and such... I'd like to be able to post "this guy for this shooting broke 13 existing gun laws, all of which were federal felonies or state felonies" or whatever. Just to point out how many laws we already have, and the fact that a law doesn't stop someone intent on committing a crime...

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Understand this paradigm...what they want and what they say are two different things. When they say "common sense" gun reforms, what they want is to disarm every citizen in this country, to remove the individual right and ability of self defense.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one that stands out in my mind is the Sandy Hook killer. The boy murdered his own mother prior to stealing her gun(s).
    I can only imagine the altercation that led up to that end result.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just find it really hard to believe that the individuals who do this do not show a single indication that they might do something like this, it just comes on at a moments notice.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    llama wrote:
    I'm wondering....

Has anyone looked at one of these "mass" shootings and figured out just how many laws the scum broke other than the obvious murder/attempted murder/assault w/ deadly weapon stuff? Specifically gun control laws, local state or federal and whether the crime is misdemeanor or felony.

Reason I'm wondering is I see on my facebook feed people screaming for "more gun control" and "the nra is the devil" and such... I'd like to be able to post "this guy for this shooting broke 13 existing gun laws, all of which were federal felonies or state felonies" or whatever. Just to point out how many laws we already have, and the fact that a law doesn't stop someone intent on committing a crime...

Thanks

Well according to our CA politicians he broke none. That's what they're saying in the media.

But off the top of my head (whether I agree or disagree that the laws should exist) he bought in a state of which he was not a resident. He bought a gun that is illegal in CA. He was under the new minimum age in CA of 21. He bought a gun that is illegal in CA. He illegally imported a firearm into CA. He illegally imported ammo into CA. He illegally imported a +10 round magazine into CA.

The reason CA politicians are saying "he broke no law" is so they can say the only way to prevent a reoccurrences is by banning the gun. Which is what they want to do.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This shooting gets headline news for 3 days, and yet a recent Brazil prison riot that leaves 57 dead, including 16 decapitations barely gets a mention in our media.
    Obviously gun control is the big issue with our 'news' media. News in this country is nothing but opinionated commentary anymore.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    opinionated commentary ===== alluded drivel
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chris8X57 wrote:
    This shooting gets headline news for 3 days, and yet a recent Brazil prison riot that leaves 57 dead, including 16 decapitations barely gets a mention in our media.
    Obviously gun control is the big issue with our 'news' media. News in this country is nothing but opinionated commentary anymore.

That's Brazil, dude. Like no one cares about Brazil. Unless it's Carnival time. And only if there are images of hot chicks.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    Understand this paradigm...what they want and what they say are two different things. When they say "common sense" gun reforms, what they want is to disarm every citizen in this country, to remove the individual right and ability of self defense.

Nailed it.
    If you listened to the DEMOCRAT debate last night, that point was made clear.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see that folks think this was a hoax. Kind a want to know why this event? It's small compared to others like Burning Man, way out in the sticks dude could've taken his time. Coachella more people and a small police force unless the acts pay for private security? But I figure the event would've had similar "security" like at the Garlic Festival. I figure all these future events will need private armies protecting folks. Blackwater "lite"?

Then there was a news station mentioned that the fbi was there during the shooting. Do fbi have booths at events now?

I also don't get why dude left the body armor at home? Was he in a rush and just forgot? I guess I can see why folks think this was a hoax. I say ill planned or went on the fly.

What gets me is the news people reaching and making anything of his seem sinister. Like a camo back pack, empty shotgun shells boxes, flash light for guns and a knife. I'm kind a shocked there were no empty pizza box in a corner looking menacing. Or socks unusually stiff strewn about like punji sticks. Refrigerator with items of biologic in nature. It's like Geraldo spinning a basement dig.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree about the media making a big story about ammo boxes and tactical flashlights. He?ll, most everyone has _some_ of those items laying about.

He?ll - I?m not planning to go on a spree but if you were to go thru my house, you?d find all kinds of ?tactical? siht laying about. Oh God, oh no - look - a handful of empty magazines! A stack off American Rifleman! Is that TWO ammo cans over there in the corner?!?! Charlie _must_ be planning something!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    48433742031_53c59ce4af_o.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might as well been Rilroy was here. Most folks dont care. Only want place blame.

The NRA and guns are the usual culpret.

Love the bad guy. The one to assign the hate. Hate the gun and pass a law that will solve the problems.

Bring in the clowns. Pelosi and Schumer with another gun law that criminals will laugh at and the decent will suffer under.

It never ends...
    "What is truth?'