In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cold turkey no smoking

pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Last cigarette was at 6 pm on Saturday Having a trip to the emergency room and a stent put in your heart provides a lot of incentive . Downside is I would kill for a smoke . Bigger downside is my wife would kill me if I pick one up
cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,020 ******
    edited November -1
    Stay strong buddy. Do NOT,do the, just one more, thing. You QUIT,you DID IT, you're an ex smoker.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over five years since my last one. It is SOOOO worth it! Keep it up!
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you finish the pack before quitting? Want not waste not.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    every time you get the urge, just ask yourself why?? you have to want to quit to quit........
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay strong.
    I know it's hard.
    When I quit I had a hard time. I'd automatically start walking to the garage. WHY Because it was my smoke spot.
    Walk out of a building with the smokers on the steps? I could have mugged one for a Newport.
    I found eliminating as much outside stressors as possible helped immensely.

No you can't shoot family or co-workers. :D
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, you took the first step. Now comes the hard part. Sheer determination will get you through the withdrawal. Willpower will keep you off of the nicotine. It's not easy, but if you want to quit, you will.

Best of luck to you. Before long you will be totally disgusted by the smell of tobacco smoke, even the smell that lingers on a smokers clothing. When you get to that stage, you've made it. :D
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck! I quit 20 years and 40 pounds ago.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read a post here around nine yrs ago and kinda tipped the scales. Really didnt plan it, just didnt light up on 1/1
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck Pal!
    I quit in 1969.
    Yup, 10 years old, tried one of my Moms Kents, flushed it down the toilet after 2 puffs and quit!
    I wish you well......Ed
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang tough!

I was hooked on Copenhagen for about 10 years. It was tough to stop, I still want to put in a dip every day. I don't think I will ever not want it.

I do smoke a good cigar just about every day but I only smoke one and I don't inhale ;)
    RLTW

• Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I smoked Salems for over 30 years.....In 1993, I had trouble breathing...I spent $39.95.. spent 3 hrs. at the Ramada Inn in Columbia with a bunch of folks and a guy from Augusta Ga. The Georgia guy hypnotized us (me) and I never smoked another ... BUT!!! Ya gotta want to quit...If Ya don't It won't work...
    Give it a try...The price now is probably close to $100 buck now, but it's worth it....
    JIM........
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took my last puff almost 24 years ago. Cold turkey is the only way I managed to do it. Good luck, and hang in there.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quit 30 years ago cold turkey. Wasn't easy but I did it for the kids was my incentive. Still miss them with coffee in the mornings and especially when I have a beer. Maybe 3 times a week I do have a good cigar as someone here mentioned.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another piece of advice,in a couple of months of no smoking,do not smoke one just for old time sakes.If you ever smoke another cigarette,you will start back and have to quit all over again.At least that's the way it was with me.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit two an a half years ago, I had smoked for fifty years. It is the hardest thing I have done, and yes I still get the urge for one, but I take pride in that I get past the urges. I won't lie to you it is hard, but with the right attitude you or any one else can do it. GOOD LUCK.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, quit cold turkey back about 2000 or 2001 and haven't smoked since. I do miss it as I enjoyed smoking but that part of my life is over.

BTW - I carried a pack of smokes in my pocket for months afterwards 'cause didn't want the feeling I didn't have any. whenever absently reached for a smoke from my pocket, told myself I'd just wait awhile. Some 10 years later I tossed out several packs I had in my dresser drawer and just last month, I found a pack in the back of my tool box.....and it's still there.
    :D ]
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    My wife gave up vaping about three weeks ago. Cold turkey.
    The pressure in on me now to give up snuff. I quit about a year ago using the nicotine gum but it started making my jaw hurt.
    I hate an addiction having power over me.
    Congratulations to you guys who have quit.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never started.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My nephew finally quit at age 45 when he saw a pistol he really wanted and looked at how long it would take him to pay for it with the money spent on smoking.

cigarettes never had a chance against that shiny new pistol! :lol:

He had a goal and it really helped him quit.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    non smoker for 11 years now
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Never started.
    I would like to get all young men by the neck, figuratively speaking, and warn them of the consequences of tobacco. Especially the difficulty of quitting.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ms. WT quit 2 weeks ago. Used Chantix. She?s doing well, but man is she irritable! Just keep in that mind when you?re quitting. Be kind to your better / other halves.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So far so good . Thanks for the encouragement guys . Still smoke free . Did do one nicotine patch while in the hospital . Using the gum to chew when the urge is intolerable but I am getting along better than I expected . You guys might get tired of my posts about it but it is kind of like sobriety for a drunk . One hour at a time .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not at all. We?re like a support group except we don?t sit in a circle.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Not at all. We?re like a support group except we don?t sit in a circle.

Then I have been doing it wrong! Don
  • Options
    RIA10MMRIA10MM Member Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cold turkey, 4 years this week.
    Congrats, keep it goin?.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, hang tough