In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

John Dillinger's body reportedly to be exhumed from IN grave

big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
The remains of notorious 1930s gangster John Dillinger ? reportedly entombed beneath 5,000 pounds of concrete at an Indianapolis cemetery ? are set to be exhumed decades after the infamous killer was gunned down by FBI agents.

The Indiana State Department of Health approved a permit July 3 that was sought by Dillinger?s nephew, Michael C. Thompson, and will result in the body being exhumed from Crown Hill Cemetery and then reinterred there, The Associated Press reported.

Why? Details are scarce, but a History Channel spokesperson told the Indianapolis Star it was for an "upcoming project," without elaborating.

Health Department spokeswoman Jeni O?Malley says the agency expected Dillinger?s remains to be exhumed and reinterred Sept. 16, based on the permit. The Crown Hill Cemetery said it had no information regarding the plans.

The FBI said Dillinger?s gang killed 10 people during bank robberies and other crimes in the 1930s ? and at one point, according to Fox 59, he was charged in the murder of an Indiana police officer but was never convicted.

FBI agents killed Dillinger in July 1934 outside Chicago's Biograph Theater, where he had just seen the Clark Gable movie "Manhattan Melodrama."

When Dillinger?s body was brought back to his birthplace of Mooresville, Ind., a crowd of nearly 10,000 gathered to catch a glimpse, the Indianapolis Star reported.

The gangster, who lived to be 31, was the subject of the 2009 film ?Public Enemies,? in which he was portrayed by actor Johnny Depp.

Dillinger?s family reportedly ordered two and a half tons of concrete to be placed over his grave after reports emerged that attempts might be made to steal his corpse, according to the Indianapolis Star.

MORE HERE......

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-john-dillinger-body-exhumed-20190730-fs5z2fizvzaznmnthxmjcsh4cq-story.html
[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/img][/url][/url][/size]
[/color][/b]

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe they are trying to find the wooden gun
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    family must be trying to generate some income without actually robbing someone.......well not exactly
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting that link!!
    Loved the slide show!
    Baby Face Nelson was shot along with another gangster and they killed 2 FBI agents the next town over from where I grew up.
    I always had a fascination with the old gangsters and Mafia.
    The town I grew up in has quite a history with the old mobsters. It is mentioned no less than a dozen times in the book Public Enemy.
    Old neighbor of ours had a glass jar with a blood stained handkerchief in it. She claimed she wiped up some of Dillingers blood outside the Biograph when he was gunned down. It seemed pretty cool when I was a kid!
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How hard off is the family to now desecrate his grave and disturb his corpse - by digging up his bones (under all that concrete) to make some scratch...

Especially disturbing considering the effort and expenses mad by early generation of now dead relatives to protect and preserve the sanctity of his grave site...

Not only to gain money but to pimp out his corpse for some cable entertainment show...

With no exigent legal circumstances or active court case the judge who authorized this should be removed from the bench and sanctioned or fined.

Another generation robbing folk - just a different method of stealing.

Mike
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1

I heard it was a pistol made from a bar of soap and coated with shoe polish.

I too have always had an interest in the gangster's of old. One of the first dates I took with my now wife of 45 1\2 years was to see the movie "Dillinger" staring Warren Oates and Ben Johnson.

Also have had a life long interest in archeology and all of the dig's of Egypt's tombs of the Pharaoh's. Digging up the graves of the famous and infamous, for some macabre reason, has always been very interesting to me.

Remembering back a few years ago, they dug up the grave of Jessie James. There was not a lot there to rebury but DNA tests proved that the few bone fragments were indeed those of James.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When they dig him up they ought to let the relatives of the ones he killed shoot the sorry SOB again. Low life SPOS!!
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No opinion on whether or not he should be exhumed, but 2 1/2 tons of concrete may sound like a lot of concrete but it is only an 8' by 8' slab 6" thick or a 4' by 8' slab 1' thick. Easily removed with a skid steer or backhoe in a few minutes.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like another one of the grand expose' by the master of flub it again...... Geraldo Rivera .......
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    DNA testers will be like a flock of vultures,,,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:

I heard it was a pistol made from a bar of soap and coated with shoe polish.

I too have always had an interest in the gangster's of old. One of the first dates I took with my now wife of 45 1\2 years was to see the movie "Dillinger" staring Warren Oates and Ben Johnson.

Also have had a life long interest in archeology and all of the dig's of Egypt's tombs of the Pharaoh's. Digging up the graves of the famous and infamous, for some macabre reason, has always been very interesting to me.

Remembering back a few years ago, they dug up the grave of Jessie James. There was not a lot there to rebury but DNA tests proved that the few bone fragments were indeed those of James.

http://www.johnniedillinger.freeservers.com/WOODENGUN.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Many thanks to you select-fire for this article! It not only shows the true story about the wooden pistol that Dillinger used for his escape, but also discounts the many rumors about the pistol being made from a bar of soap!

You sir are a true blue "History Detective" ;)
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no point in this project unless the family expects to make some money off it.

BTW - who is behind the project to dig him up and do DNA testing? That costs $$$ so someone must be fronting the funds.

:?: :?:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    Many thanks to you select-fire for this article! It not only shows the true story about the wooden pistol that Dillinger used for his escape, but also discounts the many rumors about the pistol being made from a bar of soap!

You sir are a true blue "History Detective" ;)

I actually spoke with an old man who was one of Dillingers drivers in the midwest. His grandson was a friend of mine . I use to ride with my friend during wrecker service and was suppose to be with him the night he got killed. Ran over by a drunk woman when he was assisting a driver changing a tire.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    I see no point in this project unless the family expects to make some money off it.

BTW - who is behind the project to dig him up and do DNA testing? That costs $$$ so someone must be fronting the funds.

Read one comment that said something about the wrong body is buried there.

Some folks just don't have enough to worry about :roll:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

Read one comment that said something about the wrong body is buried there.

Some folks just don't have enough to worry about :roll:

Jimmy Hoffa ? :)
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood :

Re Read who posted this article.....Posted by -- big mango ? Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:37 am

Give credit where credit is due !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Big Mango for bringing this to my attention. And please forgive me of my shortcoming's. I have taken to practicing my speed reading of late drawing from an old Evelyn Wood coarse I took many moons ago. I kind of quick scan much of the print and then gravitate upon items that relate to my interest. (soap bar pistol)

I do enjoy many of your posts from the past and honestly did not catch your authorship on this one. You wrote a great article here!

YHS Joel (Brookwood) Hall

Addendum to my post: big mango, is your real name Tony Stewart? If not, what I said above will have no meaning. Just trying to be sincere here. I gave adaboys to select-fire for putting this article up for my attention. Straightening me out on what I thought was the historical truth.