In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handgun purchasing for newbies is backwards

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Hopefully Im wrong and just seeing things as I notice them, not as they are.

I am not dead set in my opinion here.

It seems like 9 out of 10 people I meet that only own one handgun own a concealed carry size pistol - for my broad generalizations we will say 3? barrel or shorter.

Then they go to the local indoor range and rattle off one box of Walmart ammo every few months, and manage to put most of the holes somewhere on the man size silhouette from 5 -7 yards.

Whats worse is many shooters go their entire life doing this, never cognizant that they are not actually proficient with a pistol.

It turns out there is actually a scientific term for this-
The Dunning-Kruger Effect.
[media]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pOLmD_WVY-E[/media]

I of course have an opinion-

learn with a 22 pistol,
Then a full size handgun once a person can move and shoot -then they could consider a sub-compact/concealed carry type of gun & you might actually be capable of defending yourself with it it.

Comments

• Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    IMO many think the process of learning how to shoot a pistol, is how many rounds you fire. Like if you shoot enough ammo, magic is going to happen.
    Where in my opinion you train your brain to succeed, then try for speed. I start out every session slow fire one-handed, then I eventually switch to two hands which is a lot easier after firing one-handed.

An analogy, take a needle and thread, you can poke at the needle hole repeatedly hoping to get lucky or you can do it slowly and deliberately with fewer tries and more success.

The process is to perfect your aim with slow fire and then build speed while retaining accuracy. And to tell you the truth, it is like riding a bicycle, the basics stick with you if you learned correctly.

Most people don't train correctly IMO.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mastered it all shooting the normal way so now I practice shooting backwards over my left shoulder. I think that'll come in handy someday when I'm running through the Walmart parking lot trying to get to my car with the natives in chase.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it costs time and money that a lot of people don't have.

and/or they just aren't interested in doing it.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The price point of a decent .22 caliber handgun is so close to the cost of a centerfire that hardly anyone purchases a .22 pistol to learn with. The people buying .22 pistols these days are mostly serious shooters who are looking for low cost practice. Example: the MSR of a 9mm Walther PPQ M2 is $649 while its .22LR duplicate is MSR of $449. The .22 PPQ is a fine training aid, but go ahead and spend the extra $200 and get the centerfire pistol, which the new shooter will never "out grow", and can shoot for the rest of their life. If it was still possible to find a nice condition .22 pistol in good working order for under $100 then I could see a .22 being a practical purchase for teaching someone to shoot. As things stand, instead of having a new shooter work their way up from a .22, it is easier and cheaper to teach them how to handle the recoil of a 9mm.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I sold firearms my mission was not to move old stock or dump lemons on an unsuspecting buyer - and despite what you may have heard the customer is not always right.

The first firearms purchase experience and the first few solo range day experiences are absolutely elements of customer retention and repeat / return buyers and establishing a solid foundation for life long firearms aficionados and second amendment supporters...

You must engage the customer in conversation and draw them out.

You must determine what experience level they have - do they own other firearms - what type do they own or have they fired - what is the primary purpose for the firearm and what price range are they comfortable with - also physical size and strength and age and sex are important factors.

As an example - an unaccompanied woman comes in to buy a gun for self defense.

She has almost no experience and has not done much research.

She is 5'2" and 110 pounds soaking wet.

The bad faith dealer sells her a super short barreled snub nosed scandium ultra lightweight revolver in .357 magnum (he got a great deal from the distributor or bought it cheap used or it's a dust bunny that needs some tuning)

He also sells her super high performance self defense ammunition that's high powered and high priced...

No lessons or advice or training or lore or cleaning and maintenance help is offered and what might be valid concerns are deflected (think used care shyster salesman)

She goes to the range and several things happen:

She can't hit the target
    The recoil is punishing
    The muzzle flip makes the gun difficult to control
    The noise is tremendous and the flash cream / burn cream is needed to deal with the flame that comes from the end of the barrel...
    Her wrist and arm hurts and there is powder residue everywhere.
    Her pockets are empty from high priced ammo

She has not enjoyed this - she has not hit anything - she is dissapointed and embarrassed.

She never buys another gun - never embraces recreational shooting sports - she never returns to that gunshop...

The dealer has failed not only as a businessman but as a human being.

I know everyone here understands what questions should have been asked - what customer services provided - what support and options offered...

It's not how I sold guns - it's not how I behaved as a man or instructor or recruiter or businessman - a shooting sports ambassador - a facilitator offering avenues into the shooting lifestyle...

I could quickly and easily by rote and from memory solve all of her problems and fulfil all of her needs politely and in short order.

Not only gaining a life long repeat customer but adding to the ranks of the NRA bringing in a new member to my gun club or local indoor range...

I can give you an intimate number of examples of fails in these type of encounters - not only lazy fails and criminal cheats but plain stupid and immoral behavior.

So I will stop here because I know that you guys have the answers already.

Mike
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    Well said, Mike. I have witnessed many examples of your case in point at gun shows and shops.
    By the way, that?s a very informative video in Warbirds post.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know one case that turned into a lawsuit...

A combination sportmans shop and large gas station with diner and convenience store all on one lot - set up to service and attract folks with RV's and campers and tow behind haulers...

One of the last stops before entering one of our largest national parks...

The "proprietor" was pushing bear protection and self defense products.

He was selling .410 gauge single shot break open shotguns as the ideal entry level must have affordable life saving family protecting item to best deal with curious bears...

Oh and a free box of shells with each gun - #7 1/2 shot birdshot

He also had various anti bear sprayers or foggers or foamers - the size to be worn on your belt or backpack webbing...

Oh turns out they were all expired and he picked them up on closeout for pennies on the dollar...

He also encouraged wearing the lanyard festooned with little bells - and an orange safety whistle...

All as a package of methods to protect ones self and family and property and campsite from bears...

You can guess what happened when folk deployed these items in an attempt to drive off a bear.

He had advertising and signs and fliers and such.

He marked everything up - his model was to sell items at 3 times dealer cost on the guns and ammo...

Oh he also sold MIL surplus flare guns - as a method to frighten off bears.

Mike
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool and informative little video.

Unfortunately I think we all have met at least one "used car salesman" gun dealer in our lives.