In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

small rant: choke tubes

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
where do all the choke tubes in used shotguns go. does everyone who buys a new shotgun with tubes take the modified tube install it in the gun and throw the rest away. i wonder where they all go. i dont see them in pawn shops or the penny pincher or flea markets, they must be somewhere. IMHO if u buy a used shotgun and want a complete set of tubes you might as well buy a new one, they money will be close to the same. Rant out

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the budget friendly shotguns only come with a modified choke anymore...
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gunshop had a 5 gallon bucket full of mixed and assorted choke tubes.

I probably have a dozen on display (no you cannot have them)

I bet locust fork has a handful laying about somewhere...

There is a govt. Secret warehouse full of Alien tech and single socks and coat hangers and choke tubes and single sockets...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i agree with you mrmike. maybe they are at area 51. im not talking about inexpensive guns that only come with one tube.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrapped up in all the socks no one can find so they don't get lost.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought used choke tubes on the auction side. Now and then someone will sell several together at a reasonable price. Probably got rid of the shotgun then found the tubes later.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out fleabay
    Ithere is always many listed I bought and sold many over the years
    and some new guns only come with a mod installed . remington has (sells) a choke kit that has a bottle of rem oil a choke wrench and a full and inp choke tube .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I might have some stored away with my Perazzi MX5 Trigger group or the spare tall rib for my lutjic space gun...

Mike
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gunshop had a 5 gallon bucket full of mixed and assorted choke tubes.

I probably have a dozen on display (no you cannot have them)

I bet locust fork has a handful laying about somewhere...

There is a govt. Secret warehouse full of Alien tech and single socks and coat hangers and choke tubes and single sockets...

Mike

And 10mm sockets and wrenches
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i dont need any but i have been looking at ads for another shotgun and noticed the trend.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    varian wrote:
    where do all the choke tubes in used shotguns go. does everyone who buys a new shotgun with tubes take the modified tube install it in the gun and throw the rest away. i wonder where they all go. i dont see them in pawn shops or the penny pincher or flea markets, they must be somewhere. IMHO if u buy a used shotgun and want a complete set of tubes you might as well buy a new one, they money will be close to the same. Rant out
    Heyyyy,,ya know you're absolutely right. WTH??? Now I'm mad as hell too!!!!!
    No matter where I am,or what they ask me,(would you like papeer or plastic?,would you like to super size that?,would you like your receiopt?,ect.),my reply is going to be,,,,I want the dam choke tube!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are confused...

Is your rant to small - if so perhaps if you dramatically increased the font size and used all caps and added a multitude of superfluous punctuation marks - added a dash of color change - throw in a whole script line of smiley face emoticons that are pointless and rarely used / whose loose definition nobody quite agrees upon or understands...

As long as you end with a solitary winky face - than all is forgiven (purportedly / supposedly) ;)

Than perhaps your rant would appear larger or more imposing..

Or is your rant that your choke tubes are to damn small (akin to that democratic "the rent is to damn high" party candidate)...

If so have you considered using larger choke tubes - perhaps choke tubes with a larger girth...

You know what they say about the size of your choke tubes (no it normal - it's fine - she actually prefers a smaller choke tube... :oops:

I had intended to work in a bit here about poly chokes or select - a - chokes but my mind has begun to wander and there was a YouTube clip of a squirrel with a shiny thing and I got distracted and went of track...

@###$$$%%%

Mike
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are seriously one of the most frustrating things about dealing with shotgun sales. You can't imagine the number of chokes that end up laying all over the place. What someone needs to design is a thick floppy bag that says "chokes" that easily attaches to a trigger guard, maybe with some coated latching hook ......so people can keep the chokes with the gun while its on the rack. I have chokes brought to me weeks after we've sold a gun. You end up with a giant pile of them eventually. Of course it takes forever to sort through them and figure out if you have anything that will work for a particular gun. Plus, it never fails......your stash of random chokes will disappear when you need it.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Vsop purple drawstring bag seemed to be the predominant supplementary choke tube package of choice when we bought single guns or estate sales in the gunshop days...

Tupperware and men's gold toe dress socks and the ubiquitous ziplock bag all tied for second place...

You never see the OEM factory logo snap in plastic case or fancier hinged wooden box or the folding leather ammo wallet style brass snap travel case...

As Kasey describes we literally had a mother's cheesecake 5 gallon plastic foodgrade bucket in the gunshop - and it's why I ended up scrounging for display or hoarding to satisfy OCD a dozen or two over the years - and I don't own a single shotgun that utilizes screw in choke tubes...

And for those of you who laugh at me or mock me or strenuously object for purely esthetic reasons - you now understand partially why I have a predominant number of vintage shotguns with poly chokes and select - a - chokes and even cutts compensators attached to the muzzle end of their bbls - and why I have at least 6 brand new in the box uninstalled examples and a bunch more that are gunsmith takeoffs...

I have even installed several onto shotguns over the last few years.

Mike
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I probably have two dozen tubes for 3 different shotguns. The sxs has fixed chokes thank goodness.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only 2 guns with tubes. YUCK.
    Both Benellis. A Nova and a Super Black Eagle.
    I joked that I should just install the Mods when I got them and throw the rest away. (I threw them in a drawer where they will be when I die.)
    I don't like them. My opinion is, they are the Poly Chokes of the 1940's.
    I like fixed Chokes, Blued Steel, and nice figured Walnut.
    At 60 years old, I'll never understand why an O/U or SXS Shotgun has tubes.
    Two Excuses not enough?
    I shoot Doves and Pheasants with a Belgium Browning Superposed 28 gauge choked Skeet and Skeet. Works just fine out to 40 yards or so.
    7 1/2's or 8's for Doves and 5's or 6's for Pheasants.
    Rant over..............
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are seriously one of the most frustrating things about dealing with shotgun sales. You can't imagine the number of chokes that end up laying all over the place. What someone needs to design is a thick floppy bag that says "chokes" that easily attaches to a trigger guard, maybe with some coated latching hook ......so people can keep the chokes with the gun while its on the rack. I have chokes brought to me weeks after we've sold a gun. You end up with a giant pile of them eventually. Of course it takes forever to sort through them and figure out if you have anything that will work for a particular gun. Plus, it never fails......your stash of random chokes will disappear when you need it.

brought to you weeks after?? put em in a ziplock bag and write on outside make/model, then thow em in the pile.......
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I completely agree. I always try to get a complete set of chokes for each gun (or barrel). Lately, I have had to scrounge quite a few sources and miscellaneous auctions just to get a complete set. I don't know why I stress over it so much. I mean, lately I have spent hundreds of dollars for replacement OEM choke tubes for alternative length barrels in guns I already have with chokes that are interchangeable.

Oh, and I have not once found a polychoke that throws a reliable pattern, at least after changing from on to the next. The POI changes ever time I twist it.

I keep the chokes in a ziplock labelled with gun and barrel, and each choke is lightly oiled and put into a prescription bottle appropriately sized.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.