In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Old Is (or would be) Your Father

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,431 ******
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Today I celebrate my late dad's 105 Birthday. Born August 24, 1914. Passed on February 3rd, 1993 at the age of 78.

Happy heavenly birthday dad. Miss you much!

How old would your father be today, or how old is your father if you are lucky enough to still have him around?

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad is 87 and he has Dementia.

I visit him for a week every month and when I leave every day I feel like puking. I have never had anything so soul crushing happen to me in my life and that includes having some of my best friends killed or maimed.

Its better to go before you turn into a eggplant :cry:
    RLTW

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad would be 85 this year, Mom is still living actually on her third Husband. Lovingly I call her the Black Widow :shock:
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,442 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    My dad would have been 100 earlier this month. DOB Aug. 5 1919 in San Francisco, CA. Passed May 01, 2001 age 81. WWII vet, and great dad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

I visit him for a week every month and when I leave every day I feel like puking. I have never had anything so soul crushing happen to me in my life and that includes having some of my best friends killed or maimed.

I agree with you 100% on this Sam. My dad died of a heart attack and if it weren't for the paramedics reviving him and taking him to the hospital where he lingered in that eggplant state for 2 weeks...?..He would have never had any other medical issues his whole life. The hospital made out pretty well though. :cry:
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess you can put me in the ?damn fortunate? category. My mom is gone, as is one of my younger brothers. My dad, he?s 90 and still works 6 days a week. There can only be so many ?tomorrows? though. Trying to make the most of them.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father would have turned 108 on June 9 being born before the Titanic sailed in 1911

As a gun guy 1911 seems like a good year to be born
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    Sam06 wrote:

I agree with you 100% on this Sam. My dad died of a heart attack and if it weren't for the paramedics reviving him and taking him to the hospital where he lingered in that eggplant state for 2 weeks...?..He would have never had any other medical issues his whole life. The hospital made out pretty well though. :cry:

The only thing that scares me in life, is what my Dad endured the last 10 years of his life.

Multiple Strokes/Heart attacks. Pretty well gimped up. Could not communicate, although mind was sharp.

I do not wish to go that route.

My Dad would be close to 90, if still alive. Passed away about 6-7 years ago.

32 Year Lifer ABN CSM, WWII, Korea, Vietnam. A tough old bird.

I miss you every day Dad.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad would be 104. Born in 1915, quit school in 8th grade to help his family survive. He went on to become an electrical contractor, and a damned good one.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,724 ******
    edited November -1
    My dad would be 119 this October. He died when he was 74. They had me when he was 53 and had my sister when he was 61!
  • Options
    bwctbwct Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad would have been 93 this past July. He has been gone 24 years, 2 months, 16 days. My best friend and hunting partner. Also, a pretty good self-taught gunsmith.
    USN UDT.
    Mother will be 90 in January.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would have been 111 this October. Farm boy from Ohio. Went to a one room schoolhouse in the middle of farm country. Then he worked for Willys Overland until WW2. Enlisted and was the old guy in the platoon. Did not go ashore on D-day but when the beachhead was pushed inland after a couple of days he went in as a radar operator for a mobile anti-aircraft unit. He told of being issued a Thompson with only one magazine. When he questioned this he was told he could get more on the beach. They meant off the dead and wounded. Made it through the war and opened his own auto parts store. Cancer took him at 89 after he fought it for about a year. Bob
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father turns 80 this year - he was born in 1940...

He has an active retirement taking care of my mom and their dog...

I spend the night every two weeks - watch the dog and do laundry and some other light chores so he can take a break...

Mike
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pops would be 95 this year. He died at age 54 . WW2 paratroopers in the 82 nd Airbourne.
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad would be 90 now.

He died about 4 years ago from Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP) which is an uncommon brain disorder that affects movement, control of walking and balance, speech, swallowing, vision, mood and behavior, and thinking. The disease results from damage to nerve cells in the brain. Many times it's misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease or Alzheimer's disease.

It's a terrible, terrible disease that no one should ever have to endure nor should their family have to see their love ones eventually turn into a vegetable. :cry:

Mom on the other hand is 89 and sharper than a tack.

I hope I get hit by a train before ever having to endure that disease.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father will be 80 this October, born in 1940. He has Parkinson?s. They retired, from being retired up nort in Minnesota, and living in a condo in ankeny Iowa.

Visit both mom and dad, though I should go more.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad would be 87. Killed himself when I was 12.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,977 ******
    edited November -1
    "As a gun guy 1911 seems like a good year to be born"..............yup, mine was born in 1911 also, died dec. 12, 1992 just over 80 (cancer). ww2 vet. I miss him also, when he died it was like I put on a 90 lb. back pack.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad would have been 94 in April. He died Dec 6th 2013 at age 88. He had Alzheimer's that slowly took away his persona. His wife died about 6 months later from a broken heart. They were very close and his illness really took a toll on her.

I would go see him every week. It was really nice to see his face light up when he saw me. He thought my step sister and I were his only children, as we were the only ones that saw him on a regular basis. I saw him 2 days before he died, and I think he knew the end was near. At that point he was in a wheelchair. As I got ready to leave I bent down to give him a hug, and he shook his head and motioned for me to help him up. I got him up and held him as he shook like a leaf from weakness. We hugged and I gently set him back down. He smiled and said "Bye" those were the last words I heard from him.

2 days later I held his hand as he was dying and writhing in pain trying to comfort him as much as I could. He looked at me a couple of times, but I didn't detect any recognition. Every time I think about that time, it still makes me tear up, even now. :(
  • Options
    bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    Dad would be 96 now, died 2011 at age 88. Born December 14 1922. WWII VET.
    He died April 15 two days after their 66 anniversary.

Mom died February 12 2012, age 87. She had Alzheimer's and was a vegetable the last three years she lived.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dad 103, died at 64, mom would just have turned 98,died at 93, not sure the way the world is going nowdays I want to live that long......
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad was born January 1,1931 died October 3,1998. I will be the age he died in two years not looking forward to that. My Mother turned 90 two weeks ago she doesn't know who I am most days.
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He would be 66 now. Died June 21, 2012
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    My dad died at 48, in Aug 1959. Smoked 2 packs of Camels a day, for at least 25 years. Don't imagine, it did him any good.

Was in the 2nd month of basic. Left Fort Dix, to go to the big apple, for the funeral. Then went back to Dix, didn't want to get recycled.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Pops is 20 years older than me !

I will be 61 on 12/12

He will be 81 on 12/31

and : I feel lucky to still have my parents here !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father's father passed away while my father was in the service - he was on temporary duty in charge of some prisoner chasers...

The army moved heaven and earth to get my father home (in the early 60's) even to the point of putting him in the rear seat of a jet attack aircraft pulled off of a training mission but cancer killed him before he could reach the hospital...

His father was 47 when he died from cancer - I am 48 and should be dead from cancer...

His father's father died of "consumption" at the age of 43...

The preceding 3 males in the direct lineage were killed in the service - 2 in the army and one is the light house service...

My father seems to have escaped the family male curse - if you go back 6-7 generations of one male makes it to 50 except for my father - I might just barely scrape by at pass the half century mark...

Mike
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad was born in 1931.
    Next month he would have been 88.
    He died in 2005. I miss him every day.
    Korean war vet.
    Red Foreman was based on my Dad!
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My father would be 113 years old come November 23. My grandfather would be 154 come next April.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dad was born in 1931.
    Korean war vet.

I would have loved to of spent a week with your family back when you were young, Ed!!! That would have been awesome, I'm sure!!!
    What's next?
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father was born in 1901. He was 92 when he passed.

He farmed his whole life ... as oldest he took over the family farm at the age of 14 when his father had a stroke. Had two sisters and 3 brothers and his mom to support. He did graduate from 8th grade at the age of 18. In those years, farm work to priority so not unusual to graduate from 8th grade as late as 21. Many never got that far in school.

A great, good man; raised a good family and honest as the day is long.

I miss him every day.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would be 101 in Oct., Mom would have been 99 in March. They made it to 84 and 89 respectively. Mom was the only one of 4 sisters that did not make 90, and she was just 2 months shy.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dad would be 103. born 5/15/16. died 12/17/87
    mom would be 95. born 3/17/24. died 12/19/2011
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad died in 1990 but would be 103 if still living. I'll soon be as old as Dad or Grandpa were when they died, a very sobering thought.
    I remind my kids and Grandkids that they are fortunate to have PaPa for as long as they've already had me cause I didn't have the solace, advice, or knowledge of the previous generation for most of my life.
  • Options
    olddog44olddog44 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad would be 115 born Feb 1904 died June 1968, I was 24, hard to believe that was 51 years ago
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kimi wrote:
    Dad was born in 1931.
    Korean war vet.

I would have loved to of spent a week with your family back when you were young, Ed!!! That would have been awesome, I'm sure!!!

It was a hoot James!
    I had a wonderful childhood!
    I grew up on over 5 acres along a river.
    We were surrounded by another 15+ acres all around us and all along the river.
    Canoes, boats, motors, mini bikes, camping, fishing, shooting, hunting, swimming, water skiing, repeat........
    My Dad was a character! Real fun guy!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kimi wrote:
    Dad was born in 1931.
    Korean war vet.

It was a hoot James!
    I had a wonderful childhood!
    I grew up on over 5 acres along a river.
    We were surrounded by another 15+ acres all around us and all along the river.
    Canoes, boats, motors, mini bikes, camping, fishing, shooting, hunting, swimming, water skiing, repeat........
    My Dad was a character! Real fun guy!

I'll bet it was a real hoot, ED, and what a beautiful setting you paint! How could it be any better than that?! Nothing like GREAT Memories!!!!!!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My mom died at the tender age of 46 back in January 1972. I passed her up (in age) some 17 years ago and it was a very solemn thing back then. I find myself these days being on the top tier of the family generation. It is a place that can really get you deep into thinking. A place that I humbly accept with great thanks to the Lord above, for so many have come and gone before me.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad will be 81 in about 6 weeks. Chem E from Auburn, Weapons Officer on the Franklin D. Roosevelt CVA-42, retired in the mid 90's. He and Mom just hang out with the dog in Fairhope and spoil all the Grandkids. Although the youngest grandchild is off to college next fall so there will be Great Grand babies on the way before they know it!
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dad born november of 1900, died march of 1964.. would have been 119 this year. he was 50 when i was born
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    ...not sure the way the world is going nowdays I want to live that long......

I used to say that until I got a good look at the Grim Reaper eye to eye. Changed my whole outlook on life.