In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A little silver in my change.......

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
I took my bride out to lunch after church yesterday....we ate at a truck stop just outside Columbia MO as it is near an antique mall we were going to check out that afternoon. Paid the bill with cash and received my change and headed out....

When I got home and dumped my change into the coffee can I throw all my change into at the end of the day..I heard that sound....and sure enough, a 1946 dime...a.ways fun to get some "free" silver.... :D

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,433 ******
    edited November -1
    That has really become a rare event! You must be living right William! My only advise to you is whenever you start to think you are LUCKY, DO NOT go out and buy a lottery ticket. You'll be further ahead in the long run! ;)
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NICE score! Beats the 1955 wheat penny I got at Sonic last week. :lol: :oops:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NICE score! Beats the 1955 wheat penny I got at Sonic last week. :lol: :oops:

Unless it is a double die !!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    That has really become a rare event! You must be living right William! My only advise to you is whenever you start to think you are LUCKY, DO NOT go out and buy a lottery ticket. You'll be further ahead in the long run! ;)

It used to happen to me at least a couple times a year....this was the first one in about 3 years....no worries on Lottery Ticket....Never bought one in my life..
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NICE!
    The girl at my bank saved a Mercury Dime for me a few weeks ago!
    ^6-8 years ago, a young girl used to save all kinds of silver for me. Maybe 4-6 different random pre '65 items a week! It went on about a year.
    She told me, she didn't have enough room in her dresser drawer and it was too heavy for any more and knew I appreciated it!!
    Damn,
    I miss her!
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my sister-in-law came here from Honduras she brought some US coins with her. I stopped her from spending a seated liberty dime. I hate to think what she had already spent.
    When I was a lot younger it was common to get V nickels, Morgan coins & even the occasional Indian cent. I filled up the Lincoln cent book from circulation & trading duplicates for ones I needed. The only two I finally had to buy were the 1909 SVBD & 1932?s (Not sure that was the rare one)
    They both cost me $10 each which was nearly three weeks of delivering newspapers. Collecting for the papers each week meant a lot of coins went through my hands.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gruntled2 wrote:
    When my sister-in-law came here from Honduras she brought some US coins with her. I stopped her from spending a seated liberty dime. I hate to think what she had already spent.
    When I was a lot younger it was common to get V nickels, Morgan coins & even the occasional Indian cent. I filled up the Lincoln cent book from circulation & trading duplicates for ones I needed. The only two I finally had to buy were the 1909 SVBD & 1932?s (Not sure that was the rare one)
    They both cost me $10 each which was nearly three weeks of delivering newspapers. Collecting for the papers each week meant a lot of coins went through my hands.

Wow! Considering the 1909S-VDB in average shape is worth about a $1000 today you did really well. I sold a lot of silver back when The Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market. They got the value up to almost $50 an ounce and then the price crashed and they lost billions 1n 1980 money. If it ever gets back up to almost $50 an ounce I might sell what little I have now. Fingers crossed that some rich fool tries to do what they did. Bob
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought two file cabinets at a local thrift store 13.00 for both , I use them as storage in my garage /pole barn cheap and work well
    I found a small plastic bag with three dimes in in one was a 1908 not in th every good shape but was a fun find
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in those days (Late 40s early 50s) it seemed almost everyone was trying to fill the coin books, especially the Lincoln cents. This was before the MS non-sense & grading organizations. The general public cared more about the date & mint mark than "grade". Finding old coins in circulation was still somewhat easy until the late 60s when silver coins QUICKLY disappeared. (Bad money drives out good.)
    People today can't imagine that the half dollar was a very common circulating coin. The Kennedy Half ended that. The older halves disappeared because they were silver & the Kennedy halves were hoarded for sentimental reasons.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been checking my change for the last 10 years - none to be found.

Went in the bank today to deposit a check and the 2 girls working the counter were stacking /sorting coins by hand. Asked if they ever found any silver coins? They said no.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worked part time for a friend of mine. He owned a gun shop but also dabbled in buying and selling gold and silver.
    Since I was very familiar with the precious metals I worked that aspect for him while there. Relating to finding coins in ones change I had a lady looking into the counter at coins one day.

She said she had just got a coin in a roll of nickels that looked like one of the coins in the counter. I asked her if she still had the coin. She answered that she had given it to her son so he could try to find out if it had any value. I said you should get it back from him and bring it in. A couple days later she came back with the coin which was a $5 gold piece. Came out of a roll of nickels from the bank she said. At the time I gave her $200 for it. She was very happy.

Best find I ever heard of being found in change.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -