In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Not a Bad Deal - (Sushi)

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Was jonesing for some Sushi on the way home. (Had the same as described below, about 4 days ago.)

Stopped at the Panda Garden buffett. It's faux Sushi, (only real seafood in it is the faux crabmeat.) Made from minced fish. (But) It has the real deal sticky rice, seaweed wrap, veggies, (cucumber, avocado, green onion, etc.)

Loaded up a small to go container, with the obligatory Wasabi and the pickled slivered ginger. I'd say roughly a pound. $3.75. :D. Where(?) can you get roughly a pound of prepared food for $3.75? :o

Add some Kikkoman soy sauce, good eats. (Pretty healthy too.)

Mmmnnnnn................................................................Mmmnnnnn....................................................... :D

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a real sushi eater. I really like it.

Here they have 2 places that have $5 sushi..................

Wed at Sprouts and Friday at Harris Teeter.
    I usually get $10 worth each day and that is my dinner.

I like Spring rolls too and have become a real believer in Hosin sauce as a BBQ/Marinade. The amounts are are subjective.

Get some Hosin sauce, peanut butter, honey, Korean pepper flakes and brown sugar mix it with some EVOO and marinade some chicken thighs. Put it on the grill........................wow its good. That is coming from a guy who doesn't even like chicken.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just finished. (With chopsticks of course.)

Man, is that stuff good.

Wasabi, the bestest nose clearer ever. :D
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surimi:
    Trash Fish (pollock) that is minced to make a gelatinous paste that is flavored, reformed into sticks, then colored. It is used as a crab substitute in salads.

Pollock:
    Nasty, foul-tasting, bottom-feeding, sewage-eating fish so vile it is not consumed in its natural state by anyone on earth except the Japanese.

g18pBp0.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surimi

Note: I think there is a federal law that says, "If a restaurant advertises 'Crab Salad, but in fact, serves 'Surimi Salad it is in violation of the False Advertising clause of the Marine Act and any patron served such dish may pay for their entire meal with a clean napkin after the aggrieved patron writes the cost of the meal on the napkin." This form of payment is known as the artificial cash for artificial crab law.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So a pound of rice for $3.75 :D?

bustedknee - Beg to differ bro. Tilapia is the sewage-eating fish. Mike Rowe showed us in episode of "Dirty Jobs". As for pollock that fish is great battered and deep fried. Is it a trash fish? At least they use it unlike the shrimpers and their by catch just chumming the waters.

Then again I like catfish and we all know what they eat :lol:.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FCD

They make it right in front of you at both the grocery stores I mentioned. You can even ask them to make a special for you. Both places have great service and are super clean.
    RLTW

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:
    So a pound of rice for $3.75 :D?

bustedknee - Beg to differ bro. Tilapia is the sewage-eating fish. Mike Rowe showed us in episode of "Dirty Jobs". As for pollock that fish is great battered and deep fried. Is it a trash fish? At least they use it unlike the shrimpers and their by catch just chumming the waters.

Then again I like catfish and we all know what they eat :lol:.

Big 10-4 on Tilapia. Drop a few in your septic tank and they will clean it out.

The bottom pollock used for surimi is sorta a salt water version of tilapia. For years it was an incidental catch with other species of fish and simply dumped since it was worthless. Then processors figured out how to make big money off it.

There are other types of pollock that are quite edible. Usually white and flakey meat that easily takes on flavors from cooking and sauces.
    There are much better fishes on the market, however, i.e. Halibut. But, of course, they cost more.
    I have caught good pollock and good cod while fishing for halibut. The rule is, if you have halibut on board- throw the rest back in the ocean.

Note: The fish industry is full of BS. It is common to label any flat fish, such as flounder, as Halibut.
    Like Pollock, there is nasty flounder as well as good flounder.

Some people seem to have a liking for the nastyist fish, and nastyist parts of a fish. I have a cousin that will only eat the fat and skin of salmon and prefers farmed catfish.
    He loves McDonalds food as well. Call me snooty but I will eat my shoes before I eat McDonalds.
    Hell, I'll eat my feet before I eat at McDonalds!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [quote= Where(?) can you get roughly a pound of prepared food for $3.75? :o

[/quote]

At the Panda Garden buffet evidently.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******
    edited November -1
    All you sushi lovers have almost convinced me to give it a try...?..ALMOST! :shock:
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    All you sushi lovers have almost convinced me to give it a try...?..ALMOST! :shock:
    It ain't bad, Brookwood. Just don't get it at a gas station...
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am one of those people that other than extremely spicy stuff, will try anything once. Even stuff many would consider gross. I didn't used to like sushi, though I ate it occasionally. Then, my taste for it slowly increased. Now, I go to a couple of places nearby that make it ~4:30 so we always try to time it as soon as we can after that. Anyway, I used to get a piece or two, now I get a plate or more of it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Almost did the same thing this evening until I remembered it was

Wait for it -

Taco Tuesday!! :D

Called in my order of 5 Beef and 5 Spicy Chicken Tacos, to Pablano's. Hit the Salsa bar on stopping in to pick them up. Pico de Gaio, Guacamole, sliced Jalepeno's, Sour Cream, etc.

A huge bag of their House fried Corn Chips, and large sides of the Spicy House Tomato dip.

Waiting to dive in. (And) I have lunch for tomorrow at work. :D
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We frequent 2 all you can eat - China Buffet type places. 1 in Springfield MO (I forget the name) and 1 in Mountain Home AR (Chen's Garden). Both have pretty good Sushi with some tuna type of fish and various rolls. Price is way better than going to a Sushi restaurant. Can easily blow a $100 for 2 at a formal sushi place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    drobs wrote:
    We frequent 2 all you can eat - China Buffet type places. 1 in Springfield MO (I forget the name) and 1 in Mountain Home AR (Chen's Garden). Both have pretty good Sushi with some tuna type of fish and various rolls. Price is way better than going to a Sushi restaurant. Can easily blow a $100 for 2 at a formal sushi place.

Blowing on Sushi.

That is Funny, right there. :D
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a chance in hell.

I won't eat fish even when it's cooked.......stinks worse than an outhouse in 120 degree heat!!!!

:ugeek: :mrgreen: :evil:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock: