In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

watched items ended early

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Twice now in the past couple days I've been watching a firearm on the auction side and two days before auction close the item has been ended abruptly. This last time the seller had other items up so I was able to send them a message asking them why they ended the item early. They actually responded and said they sold to it a customer in their store since it didn't have bids . That's quite annoying...these items didn't have penny starts they had starting prices over $2000....and most of the time folks don't start bidding until the last day. At those high starting bids buyers typically aren't going to obligate themselves until the auction is nearing completion...anyways rant over...so annoying

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I happened to me last month. I did a check of feedbacks and the seller had done the same thing five times in 12 months, and twice in 5 weeks. I reported him to Customer Service, who said that they'd deal with him. I checked up and he pulled the exact same stunt last week. Auction rules allow for an item to be purchased in the store, but the listing must indicate Buy It Now and the BIN feature must be used for the in-store purchase, otherwise GB gets no money on the sale. If the purchase wasn't a BIN, send the info the Customer Service...but don't hold your breath waiting for something to happen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting, I went through the rules earlier and it says you can end an auction early if there are no bids. Which surprised me.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a rifle I had been watching. I had set myself a reminder to check on it again on the last day. I don't normally do this. I normally bid my max and walk away, not even looking at it again until it completes so I don't get into a buying frenzy. But, I too didn't want to tie myself into anything yet as I had much more buying activity than usual. It was now at the bottom of my list. Then it happened again, and then again. I finally asked him why he keeps ending and relisting. He said he didn't. I looked back through my ended auctions and it wasn't there. I don't know if they can re-extend the same auction or how it does that. Thought not at first, I am now 100% sure it is the same listing.

I've had sellers with penny auctions end slightly early claiming they sold it locally. I think they weren't getting enough for it so they didn't want to sell it. To be honest though, I haven't had this happen for a while so maybe that trash was taken out.

Yesterday, I emailed a seller. They had a NIB gun that used sells for $1k. So, being generous on this less popular gun I would think maybe 2 - 2.5 that price if you are wanting to put a BIN if you are reaching for the stars. Nope, this one was 10x the price at $10k. After my email he said that was to initiate offers. I said when I see the 'pie in the sky' prices, I generally just move on thinking the seller wouldn't be realistic anyway. At least he reduced it to still a fairly far stretch at $3k, but maybe if he hooks a naive buyer he could sell it. I realize it is theirs to do as they please. But, I am into all things 10mm (even sockets :lol::lol: ) so I watch all desirable out of production stuff. I literally LOL'd at his original listing.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    People are stranger...a guy selling two guns that I am looking for is selling them together on a online gun classified...they are not the same model, different versions of the same platform and not a match set but for some reason he refuses to split them up and sell them separately...so he wants $3300 for the pair...when i initially inquired he said he already had two others ask as well...so I told him if they want the same one then i will buy the other, because both guns are guns I want...just can't afford both...my point to him was...does it matter if you sell both to one person or each to two people? Either way you get your money...sometimes I think people list stuff just to troll with no intention of selling.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One I am watching, has not yet reached it's reserve price, and the BIN is $525 above the current bid. The seller just added more "information" comparing it to a "lesser" one of the same model that just sold for too much (I agree with that part). I had not seen advertising added before.

Bambi, how do those 10mm sockets shoot?