In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 110 308 Tactical UN Fired

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=562745
Nice rifle. The bolt handle is on the wrong side but I think that must be some kind of high speed low drag tactical thing.

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no to find the one out of twenty who needs it :lol:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually an estimated 15% of the U.S. are left handed. A much smaller market to be sure but it only takes one. Although three or four bidding against each other would be ideal. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,707 ******
    edited November -1
    Like the guy in Saving Private Ryan, learn to work the bolt with your opposite hand.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When a local sheriff's dept was looking for sniper rifles to add to their armory, I recommended those Savages.
    They got one just like yours but right handed.
    I gave them some of my old handloads that I knew would do good in that gun. Basically a copy of m118 GI Long range ammo.
    They loved it.
    Only thing "wrong" was the 20* moa scope rail....a bit too much for their indented 150 yard "city" ranges.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a left hand Savage 110 tactical. Have shot a bunch of deer with it. It is the rifle in my profile picture.

I was in a a gunshop one day and a left handed guy was looking at rifles and the person working was showing him right handed rifles and said many lefty shoot right handed guns. I asked the guy working if he showed left handed guns to right handed people and he said no. I told the person shopping to go someplace else and there are a lot of left handed guns out there.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will admit selling a used rem 700 30/06 left hand rifle to a right handed guy a long time ago. He loved it and hunted with it.
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually an estimated 15% of the U.S. are left handed. A much smaller market to be sure but it only takes one. Although three or four bidding against each other would be ideal. :mrgreen:

I am one of the 15%, but shoot right handed because of the Army. I was doing the brass dance? lol
    Rob
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,420 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    JasonV wrote:
    I told the person shopping to go someplace else and there are a lot of left handed guns out there.
    Why did you do that? I am left handed, and have never fired a left handed rifle, nor do I ever intend to.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most people are right hand / right eye dominant

Fewer people are left hand / left eye dominant

Less people have mixed dominance - ie left hand and right eye dominant

Even less people have true ambidextrous ability and can switch from right to left much as makes no difference

Most rare are those who were left eye and left hand dominant and after service in the military were forced to learn to shoot right hand and right eye dominant - that includes my father whom still writes left handed but shoots right handed

Than there are true freaks like me who were born right / right and grew up right / right and learned to shoot right / right but can with equal skill but some small conscious thought shoot left / left perhaps not as quickly

I say that because as some of you know by the time I was 25 I had fired an inordinate number of rounds in practice and competition - and owned and fired and handled literally hundreds of guns of all types and descriptions

To confront that level of muscle memory and practice honed skill and be able to switch dominance is very difficult and uncommon

We always tested all of our junior shooters and adults seeking instruction for eye and hand dominance

A gunshop owner showing what he has available in stock on hand to fit a need is okay

A gunshop owner who will push items he needs to sell or those that have gathered dust regardless of need or ability and disregarding questions or intents is an idiot making one sale not a businessman earning a for life repeat customer who recommends his services to everyone he knows

That involves training and experience and desire and skill and morals and restraint

It's akin to selling you a car without asking if you can drive a manual transmission

For those who have never encountered the right gunshop employee and created a bond and shared information I am sorry that you did not have the right opportunity

Part of selling guns is creating and maintaining the spark and interest that result in life long gun ownership and use and second amendment support - and requires a return customer who is offered instruction and shared knowledge

Anything else is a short sighted scam

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JasonV wrote:
    I told the person shopping to go someplace else and there are a lot of left handed guns out there.
    Why did you do that? I am left handed, and have never fired a left handed rifle, nor do I ever intend to.

Because life is too short for shooting wrong handed guns. Also life is too short for shooting ugly shotguns as well.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess in theory it would work, Too tacticool for Ros.
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JasonV wrote:
    I have a left hand Savage 110 tactical. Have shot a bunch of deer with it. It is the rifle in my profile picture.

I was in a a gunshop one day and a left handed guy was looking at rifles and the person working was showing him right handed rifles and said many lefty shoot right handed guns. I asked the guy working if he showed left handed guns to right handed people and he said no. I told the person shopping to go someplace else and there are a lot of left handed guns out there.

I'm just curious how being left-handed figures in on making left-handed statements in a shop you have no stake in. Can't say that I'd walk into somebody else's business and tell them how to run it. Might be that the guy behind the counter was out of stock on left-handed rifles, and was only trying to give the other an idea of what he was looking for, or looking at.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot lefty and that rifle is tempting...

I have 1 left handed bolt action in the safe - a Savage Axis in .270 Winchester. I finally grabbed 3 boxes of ammo for it last week after owning the rifle for the last 6 years.

If I only shot left handed bolt action rifles, I'd miss out on all the fun cool military surplus guns. Like Nagants, Mausers, Enfields, etc. Seems like a stupid proposition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:
    JasonV wrote:

I'm just curious how being left-handed figures in on making left-handed statements in a shop you have no stake in. Can't say that I'd walk into somebody else's business and tell them how to run it. Might be that the guy behind the counter was out of stock on left-handed rifles, and was only trying to give the other an idea of what he was looking for, or looking at.

I can see how it would seem that way. There is more to the story. I knew the customer and we had discussed the situation.
    And to be honest I was probably feeling like being a bit of a * so ran my mouth some.