In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Living the Dream -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
After watching about 3-4 "Building off the Grid, " on Coastal Maine.

I started looking at houses/property on Stonington Island. (One of my favorite places ever.) Found a few things I like. One, two acres, 645' of coastal waterfront, $110,000. I Have Sea Kayaked all over that area for many years. I would build a very simple place. I do not need/want much in that regards. 800-1000sq/ft.
The turn off is that the taxes appear to be similar to NJ. (Ridiculous.) $2800/year for the two acres, prior to a domicile.

I miss that area so much. Will be retiring in two years.

Have done about 12-14 vacations up and down the Coast of Maine. Absolutely LOVE IT, up there.

Would be a dream to retire on the Down East Coast.

Loons, Ospreys, Ocean fishing from a Kayak, breathing the Salt Air, Rocky Coast, Seafood, etc. etc. Nirvana.

Comments

• Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can pay cash for what you want then do it. Retirement is no time to accumulate debt.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    edited November -1
    Loons? Heck, we have plenty of loons here in Appalachia, if that?s what you?re into.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Loons? Heck, we have plenty of loons here in Appalachia, if that?s what you?re into.

Surprisingly enough, I anticipated that. I was waiting for it even.

Nothing like the call of a Loon, in the wild. Nirvana.

I hear you about not gathering debt. Not looking to do that.

I could sell my place here in TN. Gather enough to buy the waterfront property, and build a small (800-1000ft.) state of the art, off the grid domicile.

I moved down here to help with my invalid Dad. (Since passed.) My Mom will be 90 this weekend. Time to start living for me.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds nice Ken, but a dream can turn into a nightmare! I moved out in the sticks when I retired and just by luck (without planning), a major size grocery store was built within 10 miles of my place. It was not on my list when I moved here but it has been a Godsend.

I have gotten smarter since I moved here and have quite a list for things my next home will have, mainly due to getting older with a fixed income.

Amenities within a 10 mile radius are a must: Hospital, Doctors office, Competitive priced super market, shooting range (if my new property doesn't work), good automotive mechanic business, reasonable connections to cable and internet services, natural gas supply line (F%$ck propane). All of this and also well within very short distances to natural State areas where hunting and fishing are good, Where wildlife like wild ducks, loons, eagles, hawks, owls, buzzards, and crows fly.

My next home must also be on one level with minimal stairs to climb, and big enough to fend off the long winter's cabin fever. Also, a driveway that doesn't go up on an incline (steep hill) like my current one does. ;)
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know its not what you want to hear Ken, but I agree with brook, with your heart troubles do you really want to go off grid?????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    I know its not what you want to hear Ken, but I agree with brook, with your heart troubles do you really want to go off grid?????

Pretty much Yes. (Off the Grid is not mandatory.)

I do not Not wish to prolonge the inevitable. Merely enjoy the last few years I may have left.

The Medical care not be worse, than what is available around here. Might as well enjoy what time I have left.

Living on the Down East Coast of Maine, Nirvana. :D

Do not mean to be doom and gloom. People usually guess me 10 years younger than I am. I enjoy a vigorous lifestyle. In good shape, doing well. (Aside from my Cardiologist wanting to go in again, to "tune me up.") Uhh, ..........................No.

Stonington Island, is no less "in the boonies," than where I am now.

Just a dream.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    Sounds nice Ken, but a dream can turn into a nightmare! I moved out in the sticks when I retired and just by luck (without planning), a major size grocery store was built within 10 miles of my place. It was not on my list when I moved here but it has been a Godsend.

I have gotten smarter since I moved here and have quite a list for things my next home will have, mainly due to getting older with a fixed income.

Amenities within a 10 mile radius are a must: Hospital, Doctors office, Competitive priced super market, shooting range (if my new property doesn't work), good automotive mechanic business, reasonable connections to cable and internet services, natural gas supply line (F%$ck propane). All of this and also well within very short distances to natural State areas where hunting and fishing are good, Where wildlife like wild ducks, loons, eagles, hawks, owls, buzzards, and crows fly.

My next home must also be on one level with minimal stairs to climb, and big enough to fend off the long winter's cabin fever. Also, a driveway that doesn't go up on an incline (steep hill) like my current one does. ;)
    I learned that same lesson... We moved to rural WV thinking it?d be ?almost heaven? but it?s nothing like it. Sure, it?s beautiful and affordable. But there?s nothing near us. My dr is 45 minutes away. Walmart is 18 miles away. Nothing is close.

It?s beautiful here but we?re seriously considering moving less rural.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, start living your dream now - embrace it as fully and as quickly as you can...

I had planned to do so much later or soon or tomorrow and now the ability and possibility have both been taken away.

Mike
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still live on the family farm I grew up on . Walk out my back door and shoot on my own range , go a little farther and hunt when I want . The river is about a two minute drive away to put in my boat .Access to a private lake about 100 acres to fish in Two hours sees me at the coast in the outer banks of NC . 6 hours to the mountains . Shopping and doctors within 15 minutes drive . An hour or so to really large towns Guess I have it made and didn?t realize it till now
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....